Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy

Go down 
+2
Tobe06
hardcoreBEE24
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy Empty
PostSubject: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 am

If you can't beat em join em!

Paulie fought 4 of his last five fights with Golden Boy going 1-3.

Paulie criticized Golden Boy after his controversial loss to Juan Diaz. His tune has seemed to change "It's water under the bridge," Malignaggi said. "They were looking out for their fighters. They were doing their job for their fighters. How can I fault them for looking out for their fighters? Now I'm part of that team."

He also had some not so subtle stabs at Lou DiBella "The contract I got is a contract I am very happy with," Malignaggi said of his new deal. "It's a contract that makes me realize the slave contract I was in for nine years. They gave me pretty much everything I wanted. I don't want to harp on the past. I had a nine-, 10- year relationship with Lou. I have some fond memories, but it was always business."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5627106

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/9/28/1718141/golden-boy-signs-paulie-malignaggi

He's going to be cannon fodder for the up and comers that Golden Boy will try and produce. A former champ and a name guy who can box but can't punch and is past his prime. I think this is a sort of revenge tactic by Golden Boy after Malignaggi slandered them and questioned their credibility. I'm surprised by the harsh words for DiBella. Lou got this kid good fights and in my opinion did all he could with a fighter as limited as Paulie is. Everytime he stepped up in class he got slaughtered except Juan Diaz who is a lightweight.
Back to top Go down
Tobe06
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Tobe06

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ali

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:24 am

Sort of sad to see the DiBellas, Duvas, Shaws and the like getting pushed to the fringes of the game.

Seems like Golden Boy is trying to build a monopoly. At least that's what is suggested here:http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-national/de-la-hoya-plays-monopoly-but-dibella-stays-calm

Is that the business model that will save boxing in the future, or ruin it?
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:13 am

Should we be looking forward to Floyd-Paulie?
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:56 am

Canelo KO Paulie sometime in 2011
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 12:03 pm

How is it sad to see Shaw and the like on the fringes? Ruin it? Like have it playing second fiddle to grab-assing chinless wrestlers who wouldn't win toughman competitions? Already there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
How is it sad to see Shaw and the like on the fringes? Ruin it? Like have it playing second fiddle to grab-assing chinless wrestlers who wouldn't win toughman competitions? Already there.

The complaint is that GBP poaches fighters, a promoter like DiBella built Paulie up, made him a name, got him on TV a # of times, and only to leave and trash him on his way out.

GBP has never built a single fighter up from prospect to contender to champ while being able draw.

Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:31 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

The complaint is that GBP poaches fighters, a promoter like DiBella built Paulie up, made him a name, got him on TV a # of times, and only to leave and trash him on his way out.

GBP has never built a single fighter up from prospect to contender to champ while being able draw.

They try but their prospects keep getting KO'd. LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:33 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

True that.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:43 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

True that.

Now they're betting the farm that "El Canelo" works out. I agree with Gomez that we'll see him and Paulie soon enough. Paulie was hired as target practice. If he can knock off some kids before Golden Boy signs them big he will weed out the good and bad seeds. Paulie will become a prospect gatekeeper.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:45 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

True that.

Now they're betting the farm that "El Canelo" works out. I agree with Gomez that we'll see him and Paulie soon enough. Paulie was hired as target practice. If he can knock off some kids before Golden Boy signs them big he will weed out the good and bad seeds. Paulie will become a prospect gatekeeper.
I agree 100% with that. He doesnt have power but he can still present problems for fighters who dont cut it. You guys hit the nail on the head.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:50 pm

Exactly

He's name that sells tickets and is still viable for HBO shows

Can do alot with him at 140-147 against their stable or even having him headline some Fight Night Clubs in NY which they where supposedly planning
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:50 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:

+1 LOL

At least they get them paid hahaha, Jacobs got 200k for his showing
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:54 pm

[/quote]
I agree 100% with that. He doesnt have power but he can still present problems for fighters who dont cut it. You guys hit the nail on the head.[/quote]

This is probably what DiBella didn't want him to become and I can bet why they split. I think all top athletes need to be arrogant and narcissistic in order to win. In the case of Paulie he's lost a step or had a step beaten out of him and can't come to the reality that his career is not what it was. I can bet Golden Boy signed him pretty big and told him he'd headline their fights at the Barclays Center downtown. I thought Paulie should have gone into the broadcast booth personally, he has great fight insight and analysis.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Yea I dont get it, I thought his plan was to fight in Italy? That seems like a better option than this

Like you said, Im sure GBP sold him on being a headliner in NY or as the draw that brings back boxing to NY
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 4:28 pm

The promoters that are choked out of boxing and the more power GBP gets the better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Malignaggi vs Ortiz coming soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
I agree 100% with that. He doesnt have power but he can still present problems for fighters who dont cut it. You guys hit the nail on the head.[/quote]

This is probably what DiBella didn't want him to become and I can bet why they split. I think all top athletes need to be arrogant and narcissistic in order to win. In the case of Paulie he's lost a step or had a step beaten out of him and can't come to the reality that his career is not what it was. I can bet Golden Boy signed him pretty big and told him he'd headline their fights at the Barclays Center downtown. I thought Paulie should have gone into the broadcast booth personally, he has great fight insight and analysis. [/quote]
But his voice is like 1000 nails on a chalkboard. I would want to kill myself or someone else during the first round.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
I agree 100% with that. He doesnt have power but he can still present problems for fighters who dont cut it. You guys hit the nail on the head.

This is probably what DiBella didn't want him to become and I can bet why they split. I think all top athletes need to be arrogant and narcissistic in order to win. In the case of Paulie he's lost a step or had a step beaten out of him and can't come to the reality that his career is not what it was. I can bet Golden Boy signed him pretty big and told him he'd headline their fights at the Barclays Center downtown. I thought Paulie should have gone into the broadcast booth personally, he has great fight insight and analysis. [/quote]
But his voice is like 1000 nails on a chalkboard. I would want to kill myself or someone else during the first round.[/quote]

It doesn't bother me because that's how I sound lolol.
Back to top Go down
flapanther2001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
flapanther2001

Favorite Fighter(s) : Aaron Pryor, Rocky Marciano, Arturo Gatti

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Oscar signed a deal for "monthly" boxing cards at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn which is Paulie's back yard. Signing him will draw some locals out from time to time plus they'll get Paulie involved in promoting some of these cards. I get that. But there is no way that GBP will be able to put on three years worth of quality fights on a monthly basis at that place. Not the way Oscar wants to control the fighters. This plan will fail eventually. Paulie is washed up. He is no longer competition for any ranked fighter at welterweight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 8:36 am

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:

This is probably what DiBella didn't want him to become and I can bet why they split. I think all top athletes need to be arrogant and narcissistic in order to win. In the case of Paulie he's lost a step or had a step beaten out of him and can't come to the reality that his career is not what it was. I can bet Golden Boy signed him pretty big and told him he'd headline their fights at the Barclays Center downtown. I thought Paulie should have gone into the broadcast booth personally, he has great fight insight and analysis.
But his voice is like 1000 nails on a chalkboard. I would want to kill myself or someone else during the first round.[/quote]

It doesn't bother me because that's how I sound lolol. [/quote]
LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 8:43 pm

So much for fighting in Italy then.

I don't see Paulie as a factor at 147. I can't see any compelling match ups for him. I would've loved to see him in Europe getting us more exposure to the fighters they've got.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Gumby wrote:
So much for fighting in Italy then.

I don't see Paulie as a factor at 147. I can't see any compelling match ups for him. I would've loved to see him in Europe getting us more exposure to the fighters they've got.

That's a great point. The money in Europe must not have been what he thought it was going to be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy   Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy Empty

Back to top Go down

Malignaggi signs with Golden Boy
Page 1 of 1