Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ? Empty
PostSubject: Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?   Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 2:09 am

Golden Boy has interest in signing former junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi, who once railed against the company for his treatment during promotion for his first fight with Golden Boy's Juan Diaz. "Paulie talked to [Golden Boy executive] Dave [Itskowitch]," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said. "[Signing him] has crossed my mind but we haven't done a deal. It's something I would be interested in for the right deal. I don't know what Paulie wants to do." Malignaggi and Itskowitch have a longstanding relationship dating back to when Itskowitch was the right-hand man for DiBella, who promoted Malignaggi his entire career until they split during the summer. Schaefer said Malignaggi was planning to attend Saturday's Golden Boy-promoted Shane Mosley-Sergio Mora card at Staples Center in Los Angeles, but as a fan and not because they have any meetings scheduled. Malignaggi, who plans to move up to welterweight, is coming off a May loss to junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan, who is with Golden Boy. Malignaggi is a New Yorker and could fit in with Golden Boy, which recently announced a three-year deal to promote monthly cards at the Barclays Center in Malignaggi's home town of Brooklyn. The arena, the new home of the New Jersey Nets, is due to open in 2012.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5582971
Back to top Go down
flapanther2001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
flapanther2001

Favorite Fighter(s) : Aaron Pryor, Rocky Marciano, Arturo Gatti

PostSubject: Re: Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?   Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 2:17 am

I thought he was moving to Italy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?   Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 2:34 am

flapanther2001 wrote:

That's what I heard Paulie was planning to do when he split with DiBella. Paulie said he was going to fight in Sciliy and make a run for the European Welterweight title, which is currently held by Mathew Hatton.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?   Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 2:44 am

"Malignaggi is a New Yorker and could fit in with Golden Boy, which recently announced a three-year deal to promote monthly cards at the Barclays Center in Malignaggi's home town of Brooklyn. The arena, the new home of the New Jersey Nets, is due to open in 2012."

Paulie will be irrelevant by 2012. Paulie at 147 is a waste of time. He should just go through with his original plan of fighting overseas.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?   Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 2:44 am

flapanther2001 wrote:

He already lives in Bensonhurst.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?   Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 8:57 am

If he wants to make a run at the european welterweight title, then he should do so. I don't see him making a run at the big time at 147 because of his lack of power (and he has been in a decent amount of big fights so the wear and tear is going to start to show).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?   Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 9:38 am

Well there is those two welterweight trinket holders from Eeastern Europe, couldn't Paulie beat one of them ?
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?   Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 9:54 am

I don't know if he has enough left to beat the welterweight trinket holders. I doubt it. No power at 140 and some tough fights in the rearview.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?   Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Golden Boy to sign Paulie Malignaggi ?
Page 1 of 1