Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?

Go down 
+5
OU
chorky777
Wolfgangsta
bobbitt15
KingsOwn19
9 posters

Choker or Not Good Enough?
Choker
Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? Vote_lcap46%Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? Vote_rcap
 46% [ 6 ]
Not Good Enough
Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? Vote_lcap54%Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? Vote_rcap
 54% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage

Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? Empty
PostSubject: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 2:14 am

Dana White called Kenny Florian a choker in the big fights. Do you agree or do you think he just lost to the better fighter?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 2:14 am

I think he just lost to the better fighter.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 2:22 am

Dana is right. He's a choker.

He changed his style in both the Penn and Maynard fights in fear of their strengths. In Maynard's case, it was apparent from the jump that Florian was not goingt to fight his fight in fear of Maynard taking him down. He scratched his best chance to win by doing that. In the Penn fight, he tried to emulate Machida's stance and movement(lacking the base to do so) and fought a style that completely was not his and looked like a jackass.

He's above average but will never be the top guy. It's a combination of both but his approach screams CHOKE ARTIST!
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 3:01 am

Choker although I think Dana was a dick by saying that
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 3:12 am

I'm gonna go with not good enough. He's just another can crusher that can't punch it through.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 6:51 am

His problem is that he's so well-rounded, but not in the right way to beat better wrestlers. He's a great striker, but can't use it against wrestlers for fear of being taken down. His grappling is great, but not off his back. Almost nobody is better than him from top control, but it's not that useful against the great wrestlers in the lightweight division. He showed some improvement in his defensive wrestling since the Sherk fight, but it's not good enough to stop the great chain wrestling of a Gray Maynard or Frank Edgar. He can only stop the first shot effectively. His lack of success in his big fights is only about matchup problems he has with the holes in his game, not his inability to handle pressure. To say he chokes, as harsh as it sounds, is actually giving him a pass for the holes in his game. He needs to find a way to beat people with superior wrestling, whether he works harder on being better off his back, or working more on his own wrestling, he just needs to get better.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 8:55 am

I went with just not good enough. This was really's Kenny's 1st legit #1 contender fight with a elite level guy. He has lost all of his toughest fights in the UFC. Like Dana said, give Kenny a mid-level guy and he will run right through them.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 9:35 am

I think instead of trying to play to his own strengths, he fought to avoid his opponents strength. I blame that completely on Kenny, because he won't fire his brother who is one of his two main coaches. Kenny needs to expand his grappling skills, in both Wrestling and BJJ. But more importantly he needs to work on his clinch fighting. I still say he needs to spend 6 months at Team Quest working on nothing but Freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling, mostly the latter.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 9:37 am

I also think he needs to bulk up, he looked hell-a smaller then Maynard in the cage.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 9:55 am

killerofchicken wrote:
I also think he needs to bulk up, he looked hell-a smaller then Maynard in the cage.

+1
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 9:59 am

killerofchicken wrote:

Well Kenny is 5'10 and Maynard was 5'8. Also if I remember right he had 4 inches of reach on Maynard so he is taller and longer. Not sure how much weight Kenny cuts though to get to LW. But remember he fought as high at MW on TUF show.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 am

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:

Well Kenny is 5'10 and Maynard was 5'8. Also if I remember right he had 4 inches of reach on Maynard so he is taller and longer. Not sure how much weight Kenny cuts though to get to LW. But remember he fought as high at MW on TUF show.

I've always maintained that 185 was not Kenny's natural weight or anywhere near it. I think when the UFC comes knocking and says "we need someone who can fight at 185" if you can make 185 you do what you can. I woiuld hazard a guess that his walkaround weight is somewhere near 170-175 or so.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 am

LudoCain wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:

I've always maintained that 185 was not Kenny's natural weight or anywhere near it. I think when the UFC comes knocking and says "we need someone who can fight at 185" if you can make 185 you do what you can. I woiuld hazard a guess that his walkaround weight is somewhere near 170-175 or so.

Yeah I know neither Kenny or Diego weren't even close to natural MW. I don't remember ever hearing about how much Kenny walks around at.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 10:54 am

Maynard was far too strong for Kenny to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 am

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
LudoCain wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:

Yeah I know neither Kenny or Diego weren't even close to natural MW. I don't remember ever hearing about how much Kenny walks around at.

I've never heard anything on it either but given his height and length I assume his frame has got to be somewhere aroud 170ish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 am

Awesome gif Ludo.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks, Ali. I like your sig too.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Not great enough
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?   Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Kenny Florian a Choker or Not Good Enough?
Page 1 of 1