Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is BJ's era officially over?

Go down 
+6
NoRegret
Andrew the Raider King
boomer sooner
KingsOwn19
killerofchicken
Wolfgangsta
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Is BJ's era officially over? Empty
PostSubject: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 3:11 am

He looked spent and shot to me. Something was way wrong with him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 3:24 am

I think he met his kryptonite at 155
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 3:31 am

He was sluggish and slow and no one has ever rag dolled him before. That wasn't the old BJ Penn, that was an old BJ Penn.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 3:33 am

Might be so... hes been at it for some time, he might be getting old
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 3:34 am

It's definetly on the shelf for now. He was too good less than a year ago to be legitimately shot but something is off about him mentally. He's bizzaro BJ right now. Everything is different about him from his demeanor in the walk out and introductions to his performance in the cage. He's not in good shape and it does not seem like he could care any less.

I don't want to not give Edgar his props becayse won this fight without a doubt though it does not change my stance that BJ won the first fight, but BJ was better in the last fight...and thats says a lot about how poor he was tonight. The fact is, Edgar caused him problems but that does not explain BJ's lack of urgency, agressiveness, gameplanning or adjustments throughout the fight. Edgar can't take that away, only BJ can.

I don't think i even have BJ #2 right now, though don't hold me to that. Two well below par performances in a row and the fact that in a situation where BJ comes for blood he turns in his most uninspired performance yet.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 3:39 am

BJ is probably going to land somewhere around number six for me. A lot of guys can beat the BJ Penn we've been seeing lately. Gilbert Melendez and Eddie Alvarez would knock him out fighting like that. Gray Maynard would UD him all day. Evan Dunham?
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 9:11 am

I remember a year ago watching BJ work the mits in preparation for Diego and his hands were like lightning. He didn't have those hands last night. I think the biggest problem for him is he has zero commitment to cardio. After he got that takedown, he slowed to another level. He stinks right now.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 9:29 am

I think all the time away from his new kid and the day to day time away from family has sapped his emotion. Will he be back? IDK. I say he needs to spend the next 6-9 months changing diapers, getting nagged on a daily basis, and laying around with his boys. Then he needs to see if he really wants to be a fighter still. But he looked completely unmotivated to me.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:43 am

I won 20 bucks betting on this fight last night lol.

My boy Frankie is just lookin tough. That speed is gonna be hard for anyone at LW to contend with.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 12:23 pm

Just read an article that said BJ is 5-5-1 in title fights.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:23 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
Just read an article that said BJ is 5-5-1 in title fights.

That would include Welterweight as well.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 4:10 pm

He's like Couture. A .500ish record in title fights but wins over all the best guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 6:21 pm

BJ's on the decline but he's still got a couple big wins left in him.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 6:25 pm

I dont think BJ is necessarily on a "decline" so much as he isnt hungry right now.

He's the LW version of Rampage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 6:27 pm

He certainly looked motivated at the weigh-in, Frankie's style is just all wrong for him. The variety of speed,boxing,movement and wrestling was too much for BJ to deal with.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 6:34 pm

something was wrong, he was in there with a better fighter and a horrible stylistic match up for him. If that was Kenny or Diego in there no one would be questioning BJ's skills. Bj was just in there with a faster, elusive, more technical fighter and got worked over.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 9:13 pm

I don't under any circumstances believe Edgar at his best is as good as BJ Penn, nor do I buy any notion that Edgar has Penn's "number". I think BJ Penn is bored of fighting and has fallen off a cliff athletically. 1200 yard season, 1500 yard season, 670 yard season.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:03 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I don't under any circumstances believe Edgar at his best is as good as BJ Penn, nor do I buy any notion that Edgar has Penn's "number". I think BJ Penn is bored of fighting and has fallen off a cliff athletically. 1200 yard season, 1500 yard season, 670 yard season.

Come off it. Stop making excuses for him. HE GOT BEAT...AGAIN
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Cut that shit out. I'm not making excuses for him at all. I'm stating what my eyes see.

A prime BJ in my opinion would beat Frankie Edgar. For whatever reason that prime is over. Maybe he's old overnight. Maybe it's all mental. Maybe it's both working in concert. I don't know. Stop running your mouth because I have a different opinion and accusing me of being some sort of nuthugger. This is just how I see it. I don't even like BJ Penn that much and wasn't rooting for either fighter to win the fight. I was amazed at what Edgar was doing and felt no will will towards him at any point during the fight. I have no motives. I'm simply explaining what I'm seeing happen in the cage. If you continue to rag everything I say with this kind of bullshit I'll edit or delete your posts. I was relatively civil with you until now but I won't tolerate you riding my dick and ruining the discussion any further. This discussion is about BJ Penn's loss, not wolf vs whoever. Consider yourself warned.

If you disagree and think Edgar beat the best BJ Penn fair and square, fine, disagree, and do it civilly and without being an asshole. The discussion will be more productive. Instead of calling names, present some evidence to your case.

Now that that's taken care of, regret, did BJ really look like the same BJ who ran through Florian? I mean really? To me he looked like a shell of himself.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Cut that shit out. I'm not making excuses for him at all. I'm stating what my eyes see.

Now that that's taken care of, regret, did BJ really look like the same BJ who ran through Florian? I mean really? To me he looked like a shell of himself.

I think he did, yes. BJ looked good from his gaurd. BJ had a couple takedowns. BJ was still landing shots.

I think you are just being thrown off by the sheer hand speed, footwork, and head movement that Frankie was using. I havent seen that good of boxing technique in the UFC for a while. He looked phenomenal IMO.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 pm

I don't disagree Edgar looked great, but I challenge you to watch BJ Penn when he fought Sean Sherk come out and then this BJ. Everything was different about it. I could feel it as soon as the door shut that BJ was going to lose progressively worse as the night goes on.

I also think BJ's cardio issues are becoming worse as he ages. He said in the Florian fight he didn't want to grapple too early because his muscles would get "all lacticy". This is why he isn't shooting on guys. He's blowing himself out.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Also I appreciate the civility. I was sure the hammer was going to drop on you. The same goes for you too oggy. Keep it classy.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Unless Frankie during his training camp upgraded his speed, footwork, and takedowns all significantly there is no way you could reasonably think this was the same BJ we've seen before. BJ was taken down once/twice in what, 13 shots in the first fight, and BJ landed more shots according to fight metric. In the second fight BJ got his shit tossed and slammed in the first round a bunch of times and Edgar smoked him on every round according to fight metric. That alone should prove he wasn't truly himself.

Like I said, that wasn't the Old BJ Penn, that was an old BJ Penn.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:51 pm

I think Frankie looked better in every facet of his fight the second go around.

He had more confidence about him as well, and he KNEW what to do to win this fight again.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:54 pm

I agree. The energy level from Edgar and Penn were so different. Penn almost looked resigned to the loss before hand. He just accepted it. His corner knew it too, which is why instead of helping him they were like "man smack this cocksucker in the mouth". Dumbfucks.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ's era officially over?   Is BJ's era officially over? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is BJ's era officially over?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next