Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel Empty
PostSubject: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Recently, WBO/WBC bantamweight champion Fernando Montiel spoke about his decision to turn down the possibility on entering a bantamweight tournament being put together by Showtime. The tournament was going to be based on the Showtime's Super Six Boxing Classic focusing on the super middleweight division. Some of the names willing to enter were Abner Mares, Vic Darchinyan, Joseph Agbeko and Yohnny Perez.

Montiel is under the belief that he can make more money by staying away from the tournament. Two of the bigger possible opponents in his future, Nonito Donaire and Hozumi Hasegawa, also turned down the tournament offer from Showtime.

"I was told that I'm going to fight in September, and then have a very important fight in November or December and that might come against Nonito Donaire," Montiel told Sal Rodriguez. "It wasn't the names that didn't interest me in the tournament, it was the market, because I sincerely believe that I can do more by not being a part of it."

The September opponent is rumored to be former champion Cristian Mijares. Montiel said he didn't want to be contractually locked inside of the tournament for what might be a long time. He wanted to leave himself open for any possible challenge that might come along.

"The thing is this, not everyone who want my belts will be in the tournament, and then it makes it difficult for them to challenge me. I want the big fights and Nonito is with Top Rank, as am I, and there is a big possibility that fight will happen," Montiel concluded.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=29997

Boxing is fucked.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 8:22 pm

I dont mind it, seems like the best at 118 are still fighting each other

Showtime can still do the 3 fight Tourney -- Mares vs Vic, Yhonny vs Agbeko, winners face off

And if he plans on taking on Mijares in Sept then Nonito in the fall, cant knock him

He'll likely make more $$$ since he's a star in Mexico
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Boxers hunting for money is screwing up this sport, Donaire isn't even a bantamweight and Mijares hasn't been the same since Darchinyan starched him.

I can forgive Hasegawa since Japanese fighters rarely venture outside their country, but Donaire and Montiel have listened to Bob Arum instead of doing something good for the sport.

The only reason he doesn't want them in the tournament is to promote his crappy Chavez Jr vs Cotto PPV.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 pm

right when i started taking major notice to Montiel its like his career fell apart
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:05 pm

If he fights Donaire and Hasegawa he's taking the harder route.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Gumby wrote:
If he fights Donaire and Hasegawa he's taking the harder route.

Disagree, Donaire is unproven at Bantamweight and Hasegawa has still yet to rebound from the first fight, If Montiel entered the tournament he'd have to go through Darchinyan,Mares,Agbeko and Perez.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:31 pm

While I understand your frustration, it's not like he's choosing to take on stiffs instead either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:33 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
While I understand your frustration, it's not like he's choosing to take on stiffs instead either.

Ok he's not looking for an easy route but I am just sick and tired of boxers chasing money, it's not like the tournament would pay peanuts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Ok forget the money part, one reason it annoys me is this decision by Montiel leaves the tournament without the top bantamweight at the moment, it's going to create another Lucian Bute scenario.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:52 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Ok forget the money part, one reason it annoys me is this decision by Montiel leaves the tournament without the top bantamweight at the moment, it's going to create another Lucian Bute scenario.

That frustrates me as well. Like I've been saying, The best situation for fans is a monopoly in control of the sport. Probably not best if you're a fighter though.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Arum can't kick the bucket fast enough. We've probably got another 15-18 years of him screwing the sport up.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:26 am

NJBeatdown86 wrote:
Arum can't kick the bucket fast enough. We've probably got another 15-18 years of him screwing the sport up.

geeze don't say that. The guy almost 80 as is Don King.

Then maybe Lou Dibella will filkl the void.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 1:04 am

Well If he fights Donaire and Hasegawa, its probably just as hard as it gets in any tourney. Donaire maybe not proven at 118, but hes a big little guy and would fit any any weight below 122. Donaire has dominated mostly because of his size advantage and has been a top fighter at 112 and 115, with only 3 pounds separating a division in the small weights, another 3 Lbs isnt much for him because of his physic. Hasegawa is still one of the best in the division. He was winning every round until Montiel caught him. I dont think its wise to fight Mijares at this point. He should focus strictly of Donaire in the fall and maybe rematch Hasegawa early in 2011. Mares is the best of the guys committed at the tourney. If it happens with 4 guys and he wins it, Montiel will be waiting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel   I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel Empty

Back to top Go down

I've lost respect for Fernando Montiel
Page 1 of 1