Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?

Go down 
+5
Ludo
Wolfgangsta
timthebim
KingsOwn19
bobbitt15
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? Empty
PostSubject: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:37 am

Sounds like they aren't going to give him much of a choice. That said, where do you see Thiago at MW ranking wise?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:38 am

Bisping territory at best IMO.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:39 am

He's 5'9
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 9:47 am

I was saying this the day of the weigh ins that i thought he needed to move up but to be honest i think he can be very good but he wont be able to beat the best. Spider, Sonnen, Nate would probably all destroy him but I do think he has to make the move.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:11 pm

If he can't stop Fitch and GSP takedowns good luck with the future MW champion Chael Sonnen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
If he can't stop Fitch and GSP takedowns good luck with the future MW champion Chael Sonnen.

Great point about not being able to stop the takedowns but I think Chael had his chance last night to beat spider and didnt get it done. In a rematch I think Spider wins again without taking such a beatdown.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:16 pm

timthebim wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

Great point about not being able to stop the takedowns but I think Chael had his chance last night to beat spider and didnt get it done. In a rematch I think Spider wins again without taking such a beatdown.

Thats what everyone said about Machida too. If Chael gets a second chance I don't see him getting caught in a sub again. He was at several points outstriking Silva albeit he did get rocked a couple times himself.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm

Yeah I thought Shogun won the 1st fight and thought he would win a rematch with machida also but Im just not sure Chael has anything more to offer than what he did last night with his wrestling and if Spider stuffs just a couple of those he probably gets a KO in my opion. Not trying to take away anything from Chaels performance cause he was awesome but I think Spider would make some adjustments and win a rematch. Hopefully we see it fast.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Anderson ran from Maia for a reason. His time is short. Now we know why he's hinted a retirement. Anderson Silva is older than Matt Hughes and Wanderlei Silva.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:24 pm

You don't make a few adjustments and all of a sudden not be a shitty wrestler.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Wolf u think Spider ran for Maia cause he was scared LOL????? Gimmie a break. In 10 years Maia still wouldnt be able to beat spider. Chael is very good and I wouldnt be shocked if he beat Spider but I think Spider would make some changes and find a way to stop some of those takedowns and win the fight by TKO. Just my opion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Thiago Alves is too big for Welterweight but too small for Middleweight, he's screwed unless he changes his lifestyle when he's not fighting.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:36 pm

I can't believe I agree with everything Wolfy has said. Chael Sonnen would decimate Alves and I don't see Chael dropping very much, if at all, in the rankings. I know one thing for sure, that because of last nights performance, The top ten of the MW division looks a lot more crowded. I now look at the list and say, Nate can make a real fight of it, so can Jake, Okami, & Vitor. If Chael is smart and takes on a fulltime BJJ Coach and a proven striking coach, he will be damn near impossible to fight with his uptempo style and wrestling ability. Either way, we now Know that Chael Sonnen is destined to replace Joe Rogan.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:36 pm

thiago would have to rely on speed moving in and out but dont see him do that at WW so why would he develop good footwork at MW?
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:55 pm

Thiago Alves usually enjoys a size and power advantage at Welterweight which gave him alot of his success or at least helped facilitate it. I'm not saying he isn't extremely skilled because he clearly is. But his wrestling isn't on par to deal with the monsters of the Middleweight division who can, will, and like taking guys down and pounding them into nothingness. Nate would smash him, Vitor would outstrike and probably mangle him, Chael would have his way with him and Okami would control him.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:56 pm

At Middleweight Thiago Alves probably sits around the 8-11 range in terms of rankings and only if he fights strictly striking type opponents and maybe not even then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:00 pm

It's a bad idea for Alves to move up, like I've been saying he needs to alter his lifestyle when he's not fighting so he doesn't come into camp heavy. Maybe hire a nutrisionist or new conditioning coach.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Did anyone else notice he looked significantly smaller this time around? His lats, his pecs, his traps, and even his head looked to have gotten smaller even during the fight itself he looked alot smaller than Fitch. I think this brain thing had more effect than we realize.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:07 pm

LudoCain wrote:
Did anyone else notice he looked significantly smaller this time around? His lats, his pecs, his traps, and even his head looked to have gotten smaller even during the fight itself he looked alot smaller than Fitch. I think this brain thing had more effect than we realize.

I noticed that also Ludo,Thiago didn't look as ripped as he usually is.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:10 pm

I also noticed that. Looked alot weaker also. Normally he is a very strong dude and I just didnt see it last night.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:59 pm

I don't think he fares well at all at MW. Despite not being able to make weight, he looked much smaller then Fitch. He'd be a midget at MW.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Ur right Captain he would be small but if he is killing himself to make weight then he may have to move up.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 3:39 pm

timthebim wrote:
Ur right Captain he would be small but if he is killing himself to make weight then he may have to move up.

I guess, but I tend to think he could do a much better job in the weight cut department, and it should start long b4 the final couple days b4 the fight.. He certainly didn't look like a big ww last night.

and I figure u beat me, right tim? fricking Guida.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Yeah I think I did beat u. Did u change some picks because I thought we had all the same picks??
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 4:40 pm

timthebim wrote:
Yeah I think I did beat u. Did u change some picks because I thought we had all the same picks??

yeah changed the Guida pick to Anjos. dumb move on my part. I half thought about switching up the Story Hazelett fight. But hindsight and all that.

F'd up the Davis pick, had Davis, but somehow it's back to Nedkov, got the loss there too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?   How does Thiago Alves fare at MW? Empty

Back to top Go down

How does Thiago Alves fare at MW?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next