Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return

Go down 
+4
CombatSports4Life
LTFG
Bigs03
OU
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return Empty
PostSubject: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 11:15 am

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15803/tim-sylvia-headlines-adrenaline-mma-iv-against-jason-riley-on-sept-18-in-iowa.mma
Monte Cox's Adrenaline MMA organization returns for its fourth show on Sept. 18 with a headline fight between former UFC champion Tim Sylvia (24-6) and Jason Riley (6-1).

The report also stated UFC light heavyweight Houston Alexander (8-4) is expected to compete on the card. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) spoke to a source close to the fighter and confirmed Alexander has agreed to fight on the card after receiving permission from the UFC to take an outside bout. Alexander, a popular fighter who's unfortunately suffered three straight losses, expects to return to the UFC later this year if victorious.

Last edited by OUSOONERSOU on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 11:15 am

I know everyone was looking forward to the return of Timmy
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 11:19 am

Jeremy Horn is also suppose to be on the card
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 11:23 am

Alexander belongs outside of the UFC anyway.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Remember after beating Jardine and Sakara this guy was the next great thing at LHW to many... Oh how easily some sheep are fooled...
Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

Favorite Fighter(s) : FEDOR

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:19 pm

the real story here is they are actually letting him fight outside the org. I serioulsy can not remember the last time they let a fighter do that no matter how good or bad they were. I remember ricco and chuck doing it in pride but since then I don't think it's happened. That is very very interesting.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:25 pm

CombatSports4Life wrote:
the real story here is they are actually letting him fight outside the org. I serioulsy can not remember the last time they let a fighter do that no matter how good or bad they were. I remember ricco and chuck doing it in pride but since then I don't think it's happened. That is very very interesting.

Yeah that is why I made the title the way I did. I originally had the title as "Timmy making return" but changed it when I read about Houston.

Last edited by OUSOONERSOU on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
franklinfan2
Green Belt
Green Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rich Franklin duh!

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Don't forget that Houston is a hero that rescued a child from a hot car.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:26 pm

CombatSports4Life wrote:

I didn't realize he was still under contract. Makes sense since he couldn't compete in his last fight due to injury. Very odd that Dana and co. are allowing him to venture elsewhere. Then again, after three straight losses maybe both sides agreed to go different directions? I don't think he was at a very high pay scale anyway was he?
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:30 pm

The only reason they're letting him is because he sucks and is irrelevant in the UFC LHW division. It's newsworthy but we won't see any big names getting that kind of treatment.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:32 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Remember after beating Jardine and Sakara this guy was the next great thing at LHW to many... Oh how easily some sheep are fooled...

He beat Irvin too which I didn't expect. My guess is he loses to all three of those guys in a rematch.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Houston has explosive hands but zero ground game. He has a punchers chance in almost any fight but get him on his back and it's all over.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Irvin highlighted Alexander with a superman punch 8 seconds into the first... I know it was quick, but you have to remember that fight Bigs!!!
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:42 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Irvin highlighted Alexander with a superman punch 8 seconds into the first... I know it was quick, but you have to remember that fight Bigs!!!

Damn it you're right. For some odd reason I was thinking Alexander was the one that supermanned Irvin...

Brain fart I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:45 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Houston has explosive hands but zero ground game. He has a punchers chance in almost any fight but get him on his back and it's all over.

He's explosive and athletic. lol!

You're right, though. You can't beat the top guys in the division unless you're well rounded and Houston is not.

That being said, I don't even think he could beat most of the gatekeepers in the division at this point. He won some fights he shouldn't have by being aggressive when his opponents didn't really expect it. Now they expect it and will defend it.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:

Damn it you're right. For some odd reason I was thinking Alexander was the one that supermanned Irvin...

Brain fart I suppose.

Probably because of the way he did Jardine and Sakara. The beating he gave Jardine was every bit as ugly as the one Wandy gave him...
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:47 pm

He will knock people out here and there because he does have that explosiveness in his hands. But IMO he will never get any kind of streak going with such a weak ground game and what seems to be a pretty weak chin.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:49 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:

Brain fart I suppose.

Probably because of the way he did Jardine and Sakara. The beating he gave Jardine was every bit as ugly as the one Wandy gave him...

Yeah he gave Jardine uppercuts from hell.

Still can't believe I got confused.

Oh well, neither fighter is very good IMO and they can both go fight outside the UFC for all I care.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:51 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
He will knock people out here and there because he does have that explosiveness in his hands. But IMO he will never get any kind of streak going with such a weak ground game and what seems to be a pretty weak chin.

No shit... Pretty soft chin and he's supposed to be a solid wreslter. Yet everytime I have seen him on the ground he's like a confused turtle... And let's face it, at almost 40 it's not as if he has time on his side to really improve his weaknesses.
Back to top Go down
EliteAcidBurn
Green Belt
Green Belt
EliteAcidBurn

Favorite Fighter(s) : GSP

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 4:53 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
Alexander belongs outside of the UFC anyway.

100 percent correct sirrrrrr
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 5:32 pm

The UFC lets a lot of smaller name fighters with smaller contracts take bouts outside the UFC. I'll find some examples.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 5:36 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
The UFC lets a lot of smaller name fighters with smaller contracts take bouts outside the UFC. I'll find some examples.

Melvin Guillard.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 5:38 pm

Ya, that was one I was thinking of, the other one I remembered was when the UFC let Patrick Cote fight Jason Day in TKO.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 5:41 pm

Probably under the same circumstances, right?... Someone who's getting their asses beat, so the UFC "suggests" that they take a fight or two elsewhere before returning to complete their contracts...
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 5:44 pm

That, and the realization that some fighters aren't rich by any means and have training, car, utility and house payments coming due, and if their isn't an opening for a fight at the time they have to eat somehow. Gotta get dat bread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return   Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return Empty

Back to top Go down

Houston Alexander fighting outside of UFC? Timmy makes return
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next