Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)

Go down 
+3
marbleheadmaui
KrazyHorseBennett
RUM CAPITAL
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Carlos Ortiz,Henry Armstrong and Wilfredo Gomez

ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) Empty
PostSubject: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:37 pm

i know i've done this to you guys about a 1,000 times but can you guys and dmar and ring and others name the best boxing books. my wife just gave me a 100 dollar barnes and nobles card so i want to start ordering some great reads. as soon as i'm done with this book i'm reading (relato de un naufrago) i'll get going with the boxing books.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:44 pm

"Dark Trade"

Not sure if this is still in print, but "Muhammad Ali: Through the Eyes of the World" is pretty good.

"Four Kings" by George Kimball

"Pound for Pound" (Sugar Ray Robinson) by Herb Boyd

Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:47 pm

thanks crazy horse
anybody here ever read hands of stone: the life and legend of roberto duran
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:48 pm

Too many, let's narrow it down by category.

Reference-Bert Sugar's "Boxing's Greatest Fighters"

Bio-Sugar Ray by Sugar Ray Robinson and Dave Anderson

Recent and a little scary-Dark Trade, Don McCrae. Up close with several fighters most notably James Toney

Fiction-"Boxing's best short stories," Paul Staudahar-Damon Runyon, Jack London, Arthur Conan Doyle or FX O'Toole's "Rope Burns." That's the book that led to Million Dollar Baby.

Classics-AJ Liebling "The Sweet Science," Pierce Egan's "Boxiana" (real old timers stuff)

Personal favorites-Hugh Macilvanney "The Har4dest Game," Budd Schulberg's "Ringside." Both of these are basically collections of articles written on specific fights from the 1940's 1970's by these two.

If you have a more specific interest let me know and I'd be happy to suggest a book.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:49 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
thanks crazy horse

LOVED IT! Christian Guidice did a GREAT job. He really takes the mystery out of No Mas.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:50 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
"Dark Trade"

Not sure if this is still in print, but "Muhammad Ali: Through the Eyes of the World" is pretty good.

Isn't Dark Trade magnificent??????
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
thanks crazy horse

LOVED IT! Christian Guidice did a GREAT job. He really takes the mystery out of No Mas.

So is the horse thing true or not?

Weird for me that Duran is a guy that I just can't sit and watch. Don't really have an opinion of him either way. I have quite a few of his fights but he's just a guy I've never been interested in, except for when I loved Ray Leonard as a kid and Duran had the fights with Ray.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Four Kings, and the Sugar Ray Robinson bio referenced by Marble were books I've read and enjoyed a great deal. I would definitely recommend those as well.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
"Dark Trade"

Quite. Going to be one I read again soon, as it's been forever and I have lost brain cells since.

Doing the Bert Sugar's 100 Greatest book ATM. Hard book to find at times in the past since it's out of print.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:59 pm

Off topic but it is amazing how little people read anymore. Jay Leno (who I hate) does the bit where they ask questions to people on the street. so many of the people have no idea about simple common things.

If someone walked down the street and asked people what is the last book they read, then how many people would have no idea as they don't read anything?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:03 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
thanks crazy horse

So is the horse thing true or not?

Weird for me that Duran is a guy that I just can't sit and watch. Don't really have an opinion of him either way. I have quite a few of his fights but he's just a guy I've never been interested in, except for when I loved Ray Leonard as a kid and Duran had the fights with Ray.

Duran was a drunken teenager who made a bar bet, decked the horse and broke his hand doing so.

I'm a Duran junkie. Probably watched 50 of his fights. Watching the three DeJesus fights one after another is to watch a good fighter become a great one. Just a thought. His sheer ferocity I found scary.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:05 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
"Dark Trade"

Quite. Going to be one I read again soon, as it's been forever and I have lost brain cells since.

Doing the Bert Sugar's 100 Greatest book ATM. Hard book to find at times in the past since it's out of print.

Not only are Dark Trade's stories fascinating, but McCrae's writing puts you right there. Like I said, really scary in places.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:07 pm

Duran was an animal.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Duran was an animal.

I was watching him on ABC with my Dad when he knocked out Hector Thompson (I think it was Hector). He's getting interviewed in the ring and this woman, turns out it was Thompson's Mother, tries to get at him. In the mayhem Duran dropped her. I turned to my Dad and said "Did he just belt her?" He had.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Can a mod make a sticky thread with the full list?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:37 pm

Here is the best list I have seen.

http://www.ringsidebygus.com/boxing-books.html

I HIGHLY recommend numbers 3, 8, 14, 19, 24, 27, 39, 43, 48, 62, 74, 81, 93, 103, 106.

Not quite that good, but worth reading are 11, 30, 47, 49, 51, 57, 68, 100
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:37 pm

Dark Trade - great book, just great

Gene Tunney Biography - its an awesome read about TUnney Dempsey and that era of boxing

Unforgiveable Blackness - great book on Jack Johnson

Barney Ross :The Life of a Jewish FIghter - anything on his life feels like a movie that couldnt possibly be real......but it is

Sugar Ray Robinson bio that marble suggested is gerat as well

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:39 pm

King of the World - great Ali read

The Devil and Sonny Liston - read it 6 years ago and reread it every other year
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:45 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Here is the best list I have seen.

http://www.ringsidebygus.com/boxing-books.html

I HIGHLY recommend numbers 3, 8, 14, 19, 24, 27, 39, 43, 48, 62, 74, 81, 93, 103, 106.

Not quite that good, but worth reading are 11, 30, 47, 49, 51, 57, 68, 100

thank you and the other fellas.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 10:43 am

rum i highly recomend 107 about tunney and dempsey and a book not on that list called barney..barney ross life story..if you want to get burt sugars 100 best and these 2 books id recommend albitris.com..great selection of books CHEAP in any genre.ive used them several times and there excellent.
Back to top Go down
sugarrayhatton
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
sugarrayhatton

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:03 pm

i like the ferdie pacheco book, the 10 greatest rounds of boxing, i think its called
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:07 pm

ya i liked it as well Ray
Back to top Go down
sugarrayhatton
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
sugarrayhatton

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:12 pm

altho, the dempsey thing.....lol, id love to see the footage that pacheco claims to have seen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)   ok marb and bird 9best boxing books) Empty

Back to top Go down

ok marb and bird 9best boxing books)
Page 1 of 1