Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December Empty
PostSubject: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 3:22 pm

"We're going to get the best available guy that we can get for him to fight," said Arum. "Because Chavez is going to need that going into the Pavlik fight in December. Both sides have agreed to the fight in December, and Bruce Trampler is looking for a September opponent for Chavez."

"We gave Kelly Pavlik the option of going to 168 or staying at 160, and he said that he would rather stay at 160. Kelly says that, with a nutritionist, he has no problem making 160 pounds. So then, in lining up an opponent for Pavlik, I called Freddie, and Freddie gave the go ahead for a Pavlik fight because Chavez is looking for a big fight."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=29231

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5379385

Last edited by Ali_1748 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Freddie's either getting senile or doesn't rate Kelly at all, this is a huge step up in class for Jr.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Freddie is crazy if he lets Chavez Jr. get anywhere near a ring that has Pavlik waiting. Pavlik is longer, will use his basic jab and right hand, which will destroy the fortunate son.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 3:30 pm

It sure is

Well, the strategy is simple, dont brawl, give Kelly angles, should get a decision

If Roach has faith that Chavez Jr could pull that off, why not?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 3:32 pm

Now if only Kelly would hire a new trainer he might actually have a shot of reclaiming his Middleweight throne.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 3:40 pm

The only 2 guys to beat Pavlik were BHOP-as crafty as you can get and Martinez-amazing feet and pretty damn good handspeed.

Chavez Jr isn't crafty like BHOP. He has horrible feet. His handspeed is not good. On the inside and the outside, Duddy was able to hit Chavez Jr. cleanly.

If they do this, they really are going for the big cash out with the fortunate son.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 4:29 pm

The only thing Bum Jr. has going for him, is if Pavlik is weight drained. Otherwise, I'm going to assume that the Bobfather has had enough of Jr. and is looking to cash out, although i'm sure he'll be on Top Rank Live every other month.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 4:41 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:
The only thing Bum Jr. has going for him, is if Pavlik is weight drained. Otherwise, I'm going to assume that the Bobfather has had enough of Jr. and is looking to cash out, although i'm sure he'll be on Top Rank Live every other month.

Latin Fury man! I still cant believe 43k people bought Chavez Jr-Duddy

thats amazing Mad
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 5:13 pm

Arum is a piece of shit. He really is. I used to think he was okay but he is alot of what is wrong with boxing. He likes to feed people shit and tell them it is steak.

Remember when versus had boxing. He used to put on Tye Fields all the time and tell us he was going to be a great heavyweight. Such bullshit.

Now he specializes in keeping all fights in house. He won't deal with Golden Boy (Golden boy is the same way). He tries to avoid guys promoted by any other companies. All about lining his company's pockets. That is a fine short term strategy, but it will backfire long term as he helps to marginalize a sport we love.

A few years ago when people said boxing was dead I would get a little ticked. There was lots of good upper level fights being made. Just because there weren't that many huge PPV events didn't mean much to me. The last year or so where you have everyone from 140 to 154 waiting around for Pac and Mayweather to stop fucking around, toprank and Golden boy being assholes, organizations like the WBC creating more trinkets (interim, in emeritus, silver belt, etc...), it has been bad.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 pm

I like this fight. We get to see how much is real and how much is hype. I don't think much about Kelly's skills. I think he's been fortunate that a lot of guys have tried to brawl with him and the MW division hasn't been too strong. I also question his mental focus. For Chavez Jr., he's been pure hype. Padded record against cans. Riding on his father's great legacy.

This is a career defining fight for both guys. For Pavlik, he can get some momentum to try and get his title back. For Jr., he can prove he's a legitimate fighter in his own right. It's good $ for both guys.

If Pavlik doesn't want to face Sergio yet, I'd rather this than to see him get back in top form at 160 than get fed to Bute at 168.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 11:52 pm

captain and gumby make good points..chavez cant hide forever..he did beat a hyped up clown that was seriously talked about being matched with pavik..this fight will show what level both fighters truly are.has pavik slipped and yes his trainer is minor league.can chavez be taught new skills angles slipping punches in a crash course by freddie....he cant hide any more by fighting second rate club fighters.do they know something we dont know...lots of questions will be ansered for sure..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December   Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December Empty

Back to top Go down

Bob Arum: Kelly Pavlik vs Chavez Jr in December
Page 1 of 1