Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

116 was a special card.

Go down 
+4
bobbitt15
OU
LA
Wolfgangsta
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

116 was a special card.  Empty
PostSubject: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 1:43 am

Can you remember a card where this many fighters had legacy defining moments of such magnatude? I think the most recent, even in light of UFC 100, was The Ultimate 2008.

Chris Leben just went from a washed up, unevolved, brawling-TUF-bum totally written off by the MMA-collective, to a road warrior of the people with possibly his two best wins a mere two weeks apart. He has now straight up earned a shot at Wanderlei Silva, one of the most beloved fighters and showmen of all time. Leben will never be the greatest fighter, but he is one of the UFC's most entertaining slugfest warriors of all time. I'll happily admit jumping on Leben's band wagon. You probably are too. You should.

Stephan Bonnar earned arguably the best win of his career, given the context of his career. Like Coleman gained when he wrecked Bonnar at UFC 100, Bonnar himself will now gain a new lease on life for his career inside the Octagon. He effectively saved his career with one of the most entertaining and gusty performances ever, on one of the biggest UFC stages ever. This win is worth at least another 2 losses. Jason Brilz seems like a perfect fight right now, but I'd almost rather him fight guys like Ortiz, Liddell or Couture at this stage.

Brock Lesnar validated his career as a fighter to even his harshest critics. Everything has already been said about the importance of this victory. He has reinvented himself as a champion. The boos may even stop. At least some of them. At the very least, even in the face of isolated boos, his supporters won't be so shy to make their presence known any longer.

Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 1:54 am

It really was, probably the best UFC card I've seen since... I don't really even know. Every fight was just amazing.

I watched Brock vs. Carwin and Leben's miracle like 3 times earlier today, I still can't believe either of them.

And Lytle is the craftiest vet around
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 1:57 am

Stephan's fight was also fun to watch. Same with George vs Kurt...I was very surprised one judge gave it 30-27. I thought 1st and 3rd were close.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 2:00 am

Yeah the 30-27s blew me away. Not sure how Kurt didn't win the 3rd round
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 2:03 am

George won the 1st and then 2nd easy to me, the 3rd I would have given to Kurt, it was still a close rd though.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 2:09 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
George won the 1st and then 2nd easy to me, the 3rd I would have given to Kurt, it was still a close rd though.

I thought the 1st was close, 2nd was George and Kurt stole the 3rd IMO. Good fight.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 2:12 am

George won the striking too much, plus a knockdown, I believe Kurt had a couple takedowns? but didn't do much, one where George almost locked up a sub. Could be wrong
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 2:33 am

it was a great card, spectacular

I was going for Storopolous and still dont know how he got 30-27 in fact when I hear 30-27 I thought holy shit they gave it to Batman

great card and night for MMA

Leben without a doubt as the 2 biggest wins back to back in his career IMO extremely impressive stuff

gotta love Bonnar the guy gets hurt and says fuck it time to trade
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 12:51 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Can you remember a card where this many fighters had legacy defining moments of such magnatude? I think the most recent, even in light of UFC 100, was The Ultimate 2008.

Chris Leben just went from a washed up, unevolved, brawling-TUF-bum totally written off by the MMA-collective, to a road warrior of the people with possibly his two best wins a mere two weeks apart. He has now straight up earned a shot at Wanderlei Silva, one of the most beloved fighters and showmen of all time. Leben will never be the greatest fighter, but he is one of the UFC's most entertaining slugfest warriors of all time. I'll happily admit jumping on Leben's band wagon. You probably are too. You should.

Stephan Bonnar earned arguably the best win of his career, given the context of his career. Like Coleman gained when he wrecked Bonnar at UFC 100, Bonnar himself will now gain a new lease on life for his career inside the Octagon. He effectively saved his career with one of the most entertaining and gusty performances ever, on one of the biggest UFC stages ever. This win is worth at least another 2 losses. Jason Brilz seems like a perfect fight right now, but I'd almost rather him fight guys like Ortiz, Liddell or Couture at this stage.

Brock Lesnar validated his career as a fighter to even his harshest critics. Everything has already been said about the importance of this victory. He has reinvented himself as a champion. The boos may even stop. At least some of them. At the very least, even in the face of isolated boos, his supporters won't be so shy to make their presence known any longer.

couldnt agree more war leben and bonnar and the whole fucking card full of warriors.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 am

Best card in years, without a doubt. And almost no fighter I picked to win actually won.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:22 am

leben vs akiyama was something else man, those guys can take some shots! i felt bad for sexy but he was messing around in lebens guard for too long anyways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 116 was a special card.    116 was a special card.  Empty

Back to top Go down

116 was a special card.
Page 1 of 1