Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

sf discussion

Go down 
+10
bobbitt15
KingsOwn19
acccardinal12
Cu Bu
OU
josh200612
LA
Birdofthad
GolbeZ
captain organic
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

sf discussion - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 9:37 am

Cu Bua wrote:
I really think RObbie rested on his laurels. He was not active enough in the first few rounds and refuses to put his punches together. He may have been the aggressor but his footwork kept him ones step behind Renato the whole night. I like robbie and big punchers but he needs to change the footwork and pace to be at the top.

Robbie admitted he was looking too much for the one big shot. Also I do think the ribs really slowed him down in the 2nd.

Really the fight(kind of like Nog vs Brilz) comes down to that 1st rnd, they each clearly won a rnd after that. Who won that 1st? I prob need to rewatch(and no I don't see a post fight pic as proof that Robbie won).
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 9:38 am

I think you have to give round 1 to Robbie or call it a draw. The damage done on the feet cancels out the takedowns with the quick standups.

sf discussion - Page 4 Strikeforcela0016
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 9:54 am

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
I think you have to give round 1 to Robbie or call it a draw. The damage done on the feet cancels out the takedowns with the quick standups.

sf discussion - Page 4 Strikeforcela0016

I'll rewatch but I agree that takedowns that result in 5 seconds of control should not count for much.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 10:08 am

OK, I just read 6 pages of shit so here's my take.

First, Babalu looked great. Loved how he mixed up his strikes and really beat Lawler at his own game. He was great in the clinch and landed great kicks the entire fight. The first round was close IMO, however, I thought Babalu won 2 and 3 10-9. I know Robbie was pushing the pace in the 3rd but he was still getting landed on left and right. Also, I liked the fact that Babalu sounded open to a fight with Mo even though he did call out Hendo. I'd like to see him fight Hendo before getting a title shot, though. At this point I might even pick Babalu to beat Dan.

Zaromskis has no defense. Cyborg looked really good, though...both of them.

I'm a big fan of Tim Kennedy.

Heun has a solid chin and it's a good thing cause he has 0 head movement. He got tagged over and over with stiff jabs and hard lefts but really never looked that shook up. Good win for KJ.

Mauro sucks, I hated SF's production. The whole LA thing was stupid, they wanted it to come across like some kind of award show bullshit or something. Guess what, you had a card in LA and the biggest stars you could put on camera were Hendo and King Mo...wooptie-frickin-doo! Go back to San Jose.

Actually, don't. I liked not seeing Frank Shamrock's metal-filled grill. Miletich is 100 times better than Frank on the mic and I don't even have to squint from the glare coming off his toofises.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 10:27 am

Wow big's, I had Robbie clearly winning rnd 3.

And I was going to say I'd bet the judges did too, but in fact 2 judges gave the 3rd to Babalu.
Lawler actually won the 1st on one card, and one had it 10-10.

Good win for Babalu, and a not so damaging loss for Robbie.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 10:34 am

I don't have a problem with a 10-10 first round. I do have a problem giving it to Babalu but it was very close. I thought Robbie clearly won round 3 landed far more meaningful shots and stuffing every takedown attempt.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 10:36 am

Wow so different judges saw the 1st and 3rd rounds differently. Just shows you how difficult this fight was to score. I was shocked it wasn't a split dec.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 10:42 am

Watching the fight live I thought the first round was the only round that could go to Lawler. Really good fight, though.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 12:21 pm

Mauro is awesome and I really don't get all the complaining about Strikeforce production. They do a good job and are getting better.

All the fights were good. SF has more MW prospects than the UFC does at this point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Mauro is awesome and I really don't get all the complaining about Strikeforce production. They do a good job and are getting better.

All the fights were good. SF has more MW prospects than the UFC does at this point.

I'm not surprised that you like Mauro, I bet you two would get along quite well.

Fights were great. They try to do to much with their production. They need to learn that sometimes less is more.

Mauro sucks.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 12:39 pm

Frank Shamrock is one of the worse to ever get behind a mic.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:10 pm

Good night of fights with another piss poor production from SF. They really need to do something to step up the quality all around...

I really thought Heun would be able to take Noons down and finish him. Congrats though for using his face so effectively (One judge thought absorbing that much abuse earned him all three rounds?... lol). Anyone else really want to see Noons step up and fight Diaz again?

Kennedy is a stud. Prangley was game and showed great power and takedown ability until he was on his back. Great finish by Kennedy but I think he still needs a fight or two until he's ready for a title shot.

Cyborg looks huge at WW. Z landed some heavy kicks and hardly fazed Cyborg, but his less than stellar chin failed when Cyborg found the mark... 170 could be a nice place for Cyborg to hang since he's never had a shot at being a true contender at MW. Did anyone else get queasy watching that post fight kiss... Is it just me that got a quick mental picture of them rolling in the sheets and him having to push something aside to get it done? Shit, just threw up a bit in my mouth again...

Nice battle in the main. I scored it like most others, giving rounds 2 and 3 to Babalu, but thought that 1 and 3 were pretty hard to score. This is why judging is so subjective... Some look at takedowns and leg kicks as being effective scoring and some think they account for little to nothing. If these were the same judges that did Shogun-Machida 1, Lawler wins this fight. Does anyone really want to see Babalu-Hendo? I really hope they don't make that fight...
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:18 pm

I think Robbie could have done more, he admitted so himself. IMO I came away thinking Robbie was clearly the better fighter but the fight was very hard to score. I knew Robbie did more damage and seeing the post fight pic he did even more damage then I thought. I was impressed with Robbie's TD defense and ability to stay off the ground. I thought he could have pressed more and got the nod but I still think he got the better of Babalu last night. Very hard to score, you can see that by the varitey of scores for each round by the judges.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:56 pm

SOoners I agree it looks like lawler did more damage but we dont know how robbie is moving today??? Also it would be hard to score a bout by looking who did more damage. I was actually wanting Lawler to win( something about hammer hands turns me on) I figured however Renalto would use angles, kicks, tds and top control . I was impressed with lawler not getting taken down but he looked akward in the clinch and doesnt cut of the cage for crap. He needs some footwork and set up his punches before I would take him in a marque fight (diaz,hendo)
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 6:10 pm

You can't just look at somebody's face and say they lost the fight...just because Babalu has a nasty cut, a shiner and some cat scratches on his forehead does not mean Lawler won the fight. Babalu's was landing effective leg and body kicks, as well as punches to the face the entire fight while Lawler would land a big shot sporadically...the agressiveness of Babalu going for takedowns and landing a couple was actually a bonus considering Babalu was in fact winning the standup as well.

Fact is, the damage Lawler did to Babalu was from a few clean punches, it was not telling of how the fight went at all. Babalu took that fight.

I saw Babalu face was cut up...but i saw a worn down, hurt Robbie Lawler from the punishment his body took over 3 rounds..29-28 Babalu. Lawler knows he lost.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 6:24 pm

I didn't just look at Babalu's face, I saw Robbie land the cleaner harder shots...the more damaging blows. Like I said Babalu got some nice body shots and did some damage. Robbie just did more. IMO Robbie controlled most of the 1st and 3rd rounds. He stuffed every take down except those 2 in the 1st that resulted in 10 seconds of mat time. IMO even though Babalu mixed it more Robbie still landed better shots, did more damage and IMO looked like the better fighter. You don't have to look at Babalu's post fight beat up face, you could see in the fight that Babalu was hit with more clean shots.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 7:47 pm

Lawler was walking backwards the whole time gassed/rocked/pretending to be gassed/rocked. So good for the judges for not rewarding that dumb ass shit he does.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Lawler was walking backwards the whole time gassed/rocked/pretending to be gassed/rocked. So good for the judges for not rewarding that dumb ass shit he does.

The Lawler pretending thing lasted 5 secs. He was on the run in the 2nd when imo his ribs were at their worst. 1st and 3rd it was Lawler who was stalking, but as has been stated he was doing to much following and not enough cutting off the ring.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:36 pm

Hands in his pockets acting gassed 80% of the fight. Unclear when the act stopped and it became legit. He does it a lot in his fights these days.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Hands in his pockets acting gassed 80% of the fight. Unclear when the act stopped and it became legit. He does it a lot in his fights these days.

the ribs had already been worked pretty good when he put on his act. An act that he put on not long b4 ko'ing Melvin. I think his ribs were hurt and he was hoping to get sobral to rush in.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:47 pm

it was hard to tell what was real and what was fake, and Babalu couldn't tell either.

Robbie had his chance to be aggressive late in the fight and go for the finish and backed off. The right guy won I guess.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:49 pm

I had no problem with the decision. neither did Lawler.

I thought the fight was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:51 am

I don't know how you can say Lawler landed more clean shots. Babalu landed a lot more than Robbie throughout that fight. Of course, Robbie landed with more power but that doesn't mean anything unless he gets a KO. He never really had Babalu rocked at all. Babalu was by far the busier fighter, throwing and landing more.

I think you're being a little biased Sooner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't like Babalu because he held the choke a little to long on David Heath?

http://www.compustrike.com/stats_files/strikeforce_6_16/Lawler-Sobral.HTM
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 2:35 am

Most of the damage to Babalu came in the final round which Robbie won imo. Still a 29-28 fight for Babalu imo. I watched it again too.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 8:17 am

Bigs03 wrote:
I don't know how you can say Lawler landed more clean shots. Babalu landed a lot more than Robbie throughout that fight. Of course, Robbie landed with more power but that doesn't mean anything unless he gets a KO. He never really had Babalu rocked at all. Babalu was by far the busier fighter, throwing and landing more.

I think you're being a little biased Sooner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't like Babalu because he held the choke a little to long on David Heath?

http://www.compustrike.com/stats_files/strikeforce_6_16/Lawler-Sobral.HTM

I don't hate Babalu I just don't respect him. It's not like I have him on my top 10 hate list like LA does Robbie. You're wrong Bigs, Robbie landed the more meaningful shots. Robbie did daze Babalu for moments in the 1st and 3rd. If that fight goes 5 rounds Babalu is done for. He couldn't get Robbie to the ground and those shots on Babalu's face were adding up. No doubt watching that fight Robbie was the better fighter he just didn't press enough to get the nod in the judges eyes.
Like I said 2 different judges gave Robbie round 1 and 1 gave him round 3. Kind of shows you how hard it was to score.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sf discussion   sf discussion - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

sf discussion
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next