Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WHAT'S IMPROVED

Go down 
+2
dmar5143
marbleheadmaui
6 posters
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyMon May 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Most of you guys know that I think boxing is in a pretty rough place currently in terms of talent, training, rules, belts etc. But all is not lost! There are things that have improved about the sport in the last 20 or so years. In no order here are some of them

1. The transition to the "thumbless" glove has been a plus. Tougher to intentionally thumb someone. Somewhere Fritzie Zivic is outraged.

2. 24/7-It gives us a window into fighters we didn't formerly have

3. Michael Buffer-The whole pre-fight pagentry I really do think builds up the moment.

4. The rise of the internet-Enables the willing to become more educated about the sport and for fans around the world to have discussions like these

5. Current matchmaking-Both the rise of MMA and the recession has forced propmoters and fighters to become better matchmakers than they were a decade ago

6. The Cuban exodus-Let's hope the Cuban amateur programs continue creating talented fighters willing to defect!

Have at it!
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyMon May 17, 2010 2:09 pm

some good points..the internet especialy indeed..24-7 does give a glimpse of a person as well as the fighter.its a plus..im not crazy about buffers stick...its not an improvement over johhny aiddies simple but effective stylish way of introducing fighters..
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyMon May 17, 2010 2:12 pm

just to expand on your excellent opint re: the Cubans. I would also include the emergence of the former soviet countries.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyMon May 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Canvas wrote:
just to expand on your excellent opint re: the Cubans. I would also include the emergence of the former soviet countries.

Geeze, how'd I leave those guys out? That maybe oughtta be number 1!
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyMon May 17, 2010 2:56 pm

I think the knowledge and acceptance of a scientific approach to nutrition has been a bonus. Also brain scan technology has likely helped prevent a few tragedies.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyMon May 17, 2010 3:00 pm

Canvas wrote:
I think the knowledge and acceptance of a scientific approach to nutrition has been a bonus. Also brain scan technology has likely helped prevent a few tragedies.

The second is certainly true. I'm not really persuaded on your first. I mean do you really think 135's today are more fit than the 135's who went 15 rounds? I think what the nutrition thing has done is turn 5'7 guys who would have been lightweights 20 years ago into more muscular 5'7 140 pounders today. It isn't clear to me that is an advantage for a boxer.

But I could be dead wrong here and I'm happy to be educated.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyMon May 17, 2010 4:31 pm

all good points

also what has improved

Don King is almost irrelevant
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyMon May 17, 2010 6:15 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
all good points

also what has improved

Don King is almost irrelevant
Agreed.
Back to top Go down

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyMon May 17, 2010 10:30 pm

More referees stopping pointless beatings.
Back to top Go down
TopNotch86
TopNotch86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Floyd Mayweather Jr., Timothy Bradley, Shane Mosley, Cornelius Bundrage, Jermaine Taylor, Bernard Hopkins

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyMon May 17, 2010 11:32 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Most of you guys know that I think boxing is in a pretty rough place currently in terms of talent, training, rules, belts etc. But all is not lost! There are things that have improved about the sport in the last 20 or so years. In no order here are some of them

1. The transition to the "thumbless" glove has been a plus. Tougher to intentionally thumb someone. Somewhere Fritzie Zivic is outraged.

2. 24/7-It gives us a window into fighters we didn't formerly have

3. Michael Buffer-The whole pre-fight pagentry I really do think builds up the moment.

4. The rise of the internet-Enables the willing to become more educated about the sport and for fans around the world to have discussions like these

5. Current matchmaking-Both the rise of MMA and the recession has forced propmoters and fighters to become better matchmakers than they were a decade ago

6. The Cuban exodus-Let's hope the Cuban amateur programs continue creating talented fighters willing to defect!

Have at it!

i agree...the only problem is that most of these are only for the super fights...there are a lot of fights id like to see 24/7s for that dont get it because its not floyd mayweather or manny pacquiao...i mean i like them both but how many times can u watch them go through the same camp? they do essentially the same thing...how about 24/7s for BAD fights too? 1 or 2 episodes would suffice i know its costly to do 4....the internet is a great resource, that allows us to discuss fights with fellow fans from all over, really helps u get to look at other peoples perspectives. and despite my hate for mma it does make boxing better when they have something to compete against...good post
Back to top Go down

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyWed May 19, 2010 12:40 am

The internet can be broken down more - I'll throw in youtube. We can watch a fights from almost every era, compare fights side by side, go through a fighter's entire history and highlights without having to get up.

Filmography/camera technology - HD. Slow-mo replays and multiple angles. The ability to pause, rewind and slow-mo live tv.

I also agree with sports science + nutrition and improved medical treatment.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED EmptyWed May 19, 2010 12:49 am

completely agree on fight sharing marble

in the old days it was a novel to have a good fight collection now we can all youtube the fight its marvelous great point
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHAT'S IMPROVED   WHAT'S IMPROVED Empty

Back to top Go down

WHAT'S IMPROVED
Page 1 of 1