Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

bones turned down lil nog fight

Go down 
+14
KingsOwn19
acccardinal12
Wolfgangsta
Birdofthad
timthebim
Farmer1906
Bigs03
oggy420
ohiovol62
LTFG
OU
GDPofDRC
bobbitt15
killerofchicken
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

bones turned down lil nog fight Empty
PostSubject: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:54 pm

http://www.cagepotato.com/tidbit-day-jon-jones-turned-down-fight-lil-nog-ufc-114

Kevin Iole reveals in latest Yahoo!Sports mailbag that up-and-coming UFC light heavyweight star John Jones declined a slot on the upcoming UFC 114 card as a fill-in for Forrest Griffin against Antônio Rogério Nogueira because he didn't feel that one month was enough time to prepare for the fight. Jones explained that he hadn't been in the gym since his win over Brandon Vera a month and a half ago at UFC LIVE: Vera vs. Jones in Broomfield, Conn.

Now I'm not saying his excuses aren't legitimate, but I don't see a training camp being two weeks shorter than usual for a guy who walked away from his last fight still in shape and unscathed being to the detriment of a fighter of Jones' caliber. Jason Brilz seemed pretty eager to step up to the challenge in spite of the short notice. Just sayin'.

Maybe hearing that Shogun fought and won the UFC light heavyweight title seven weeks after undergoing surgery to remove his appendix has jaded me a bit.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Brilz and Jones are in two completely different situations
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:56 pm

That's smart enough. You want every minute to plan and train for a level of opponent like Rogerio.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:57 pm

I think Jones did the right thing. For a young fighters like him you need everything to be as perfect as possible if you are going to take on a guy on the level of lil Nog.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Yeah, can't blame him... He's on the way up with a ton of promise, why interrupt it by taking a guy like Lil Nog on short notice? Brilz didn't turn it down because he's not getting offers for high profile fights like this and it's a chance to catapult him if he somehow pulls something off...
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 3:02 pm

I wouldn't want to fight a Nog with a month warning either. It would be a war
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 3:05 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Yeah, can't blame him... He's on the way up with a ton of promise, why interrupt it by taking a guy like Lil Nog on short notice? Brilz didn't turn it down because he's not getting offers for high profile fights like this and it's a chance to catapult him if he somehow pulls something off...
agreed
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Yea you dont take a fight with a world class fighter like Lil Nog without a full training camp. It was smart to decline the offer.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 4:02 pm

I don't have a problem with him turning it down. He has to do what's best for his career. He needs a full training camp before a step up in competition like that.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 4:10 pm

Can't fault him, but it would have really impressed me if he stepped up. Plus it would have fast tracked him to a title shot after Shad/Page
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 5:29 pm

Yeah I know he wouldnt have had a full training camp but Im not so sure he wanted this fight anyways. Lil Nog came over and destroyed another young guy with some promise and maybe Bones didnt want to end up like that.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 7:13 pm

from Bones perspective - very smart dont rush into this

from the fans perspective - damn that sucks
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Luiz Cane was last years Jon Jones. Little Nog smacked the snot out of him. Jones not being in the gym for a month and a half straight at this point in his career is troubling.

Maybe he is more like Brandon Vera than we even realize.

Jones turning the fight down sucks but this aint Pride and fighters get used to long camps these days. Koscheck took the Alves fight on short notice and it has taken him years to get back into contention after the loss(however a KTFO by Paulo also played a part)
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 7:43 pm

i honestly wasnt high on cane
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 7:51 pm

I thought Cane was a future champion and still think he might be.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 7:59 pm

i agree Cane is a good fighter. There is no shame in losing to Lil Nog. He'll be back.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 8:01 pm

He looked funny that night. His defense was fantastic against Cantwell, his hands were in position the entire time and he was a shell half the time. In the Minotoro fight he left his face wide open to a counter. He seemed sluggish too.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 8:05 pm

He did look extremely sluggish that night
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 8:36 pm

See if I was a fighter, I would be trying my best to stay in shape outside the octagon all year round. I would also be going back to gyms to perfect my skills and learn knew techniques.

I am not bashing Jones for his decision, I would rather Jon just said he's still a prospect and a Lil Nog fight would be too much right now.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyWed May 12, 2010 9:33 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Luiz Cane was last years Jon Jones. Little Nog smacked the snot out of him. Jones not being in the gym for a month and a half straight at this point in his career is troubling.
Maybe he is more like Brandon Vera than we even realize.

Jones turning the fight down sucks but this aint Pride and fighters get used to long camps these days. Koscheck took the Alves fight on short notice and it has taken him years to get back into contention after the loss(however a KTFO by Paulo also played a part)

Agree, I find it hard to believe that he hasn't trained for that long. Maybe a good ass kicking is what he needs.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyThu May 13, 2010 12:01 am

Cane was/is good. I think Bones has looked alot better though. I agree with you guys. No shame in taking a pass on this right now. He will get there.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyThu May 13, 2010 12:20 am

bones turned down lil nog fight Chicken
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:19 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
bones turned down lil nog fight Chicken
lol
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:24 am

He claimed on his Twitter that he didn't turn it down.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:58 am

Did he say anything about not training for a month? The Janitor liable to beat that ass taking that kind of approach.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bones turned down lil nog fight   bones turned down lil nog fight Empty

Back to top Go down

bones turned down lil nog fight
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next