Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?

Go down 
+5
OU
Bigs03
GDPofDRC
bobbitt15
acccardinal12
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:33 am

I know most think Anderson should. Machida can make 185lbs all day long. They won't fight eachother so I think it would be a good idea. It would be nice to see Machida fight at 185lbs against a bunch of guys.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:40 am

Anderson- sure if he beats Sonnen and Vitor
Machida- No
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:44 am

Negative for Machida. He isn't Franklin'd yet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:38 am

Yeah I don't see why Machida should switch. That would be admitting defeat ala Bisping or Swick. He can hang with the top 205ers for sure and he could very well hold the belt again some day.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:38 am

Anderson should fight GSP at a catch weight and then move up.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:42 am

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
I know most think Anderson should. Machida can make 185lbs all day long. They won't fight eachother so I think it would be a good idea. It would be nice to see Machida fight at 185lbs against a bunch of guys.

What makes you so confident he can get to 185 so easy? Has he ever made that cut before? At 30+ years old it is difficult to start learning how to cut weight. How much experience does he have cutting weight? It really is a skill in itself. If he has never made the cut before, it is a bad idea to start now.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:00 pm

They should just do it for fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Why on gods earth should Machida drop down ? he's beaten Tito,Soku,Thiago and Rashad. Losing to Rua isn't the end of the world, I'd still pick Machida to beat almost everyone else in the UFC's Light Heavyweight division.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:16 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Why on gods earth should Machida drop down ? he's beaten Tito,Soku,Thiago and Rashad. Losing to Rua isn't the end of the world, I'd still pick Machida to beat almost everyone else in the UFC's Light Heavyweight division.

So Anderson could go up. They take turns dominating divisions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

No, It's a bad idea.

Silva will be forced to move up after he defends against Sonnen and Belfort.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

No, It's a bad idea.

Silva will be forced to move up after he defends against Sonnen and Belfort.

Not if Machida gets the belt back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:30 pm

There is no guarantee Machida would be competitive at Middleweight. He's already a big Light Heavyweight, Lyoto could end up draining himself trying to make 185lb.

He's a Light Heavyweight ! one loss isn't the end of the world.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
There is no guarantee Machida would be competitive at Middleweight. He's already a big Light Heavyweight, Lyoto could end up draining himself trying to make 185lb.

He's far from a big LHW. He's actually pretty small.

Here is next to Rashad (another small LHW). Rashad wrestled at 165 and 174 in college. I'm sure he's bulked ups some, but there is no doubt in my mind he could make 185 and so could Machida. It's not like he's shredded in weigh ins like Forrest after cutting 35 pounds.
http://mmaaddicts.com/dann/ufc-98-evans-machida/rashad-evans-lyoto-machida.jpg
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:

Like I said before if he doesn't have experience cutting weight, it is a horrible idea to start now. People are way overreacting to Machida's loss. It is insane how some people are overreacting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:40 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Like I said before if he doesn't have experience cutting weight, it is a horrible idea to start now. People are way overreacting to Machida's loss. It is insane how some people are overreacting.

+1
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm saying Machida down for so so Anderson can move up more easily and then on the plus side Machida can build his status by winning a belt at another weight class. It'd be seen more as a new test, not running away in my mind.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
I'm saying Machida down for so so Anderson can move up more easily and then on the plus side Machida can build his status by winning a belt at another weight class. It'd be seen more as a new test, not running away in my mind.

Has Machida ever cut weight before? It is a very important question in this senario.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:48 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

Has Machida ever cut weight before? It is a very important question in this senario.

He cuts to 205, probably not a lot but some.

Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he can't. Hershal Walker is working on cutting weight at like 48 years old. I think Machida is physically capable.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

He cuts to 205, probably not a lot but some.

Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he can't. Hershal Walker is working on cutting weight at like 48 years old. I think Machida is physically capable.

Machida isn't a tenth of the athlete Walker is, even at 48. Cutting weight is very important, if you have never done it before you are going to have a rough time for awhile. We likely wouldn't see the same Machida at 185. It really is a skill, it takes time to get it right.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:24 pm

This is just silly really. Machida isn't gonna drop down to fight lesser competition.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 5:34 pm

I am not sold on the idea at all. I just wondered what most thought since Silva will be up at 205lbs in a few fights. Machida could make the cut anyways. Many other guys do it so I don't see any reason he wouldn't be able to do it. Machida wouldn't look cracked out like Wand has looked either. He has some fat on him he could lose for sure.
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Long before Lyoto ever lost a match I thought he would be more suited at MW and Anderson at LH.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 9:35 pm

I don't see enough interesting matchups at 185 for me to want Machida to cut. Same for Anderson, get him up to 205 now. I don't have a ton of interest in Silva vs Sonnen. I doubt he does either.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Plenty of people have interest in seeing him fight Belfort. He won't be moving anywhere until that fight happens
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:14 pm

all these mentions of weight jumps need to end, machida lost to shogun and shogun only, put him up against anyone else in the div. and he'll end up on top for sure.
have anderson fight chael and vitor first, im sure by then well have another contender at MW if he beats both of those guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?   Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you think Silva and Machida should switch Weight class?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next