Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the

Go down 
+2
bobbitt15
redvexx8
6 posters
AuthorMessage
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the Empty
PostSubject: Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the   Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the EmptyTue May 04, 2010 9:36 pm

LOS ANGELES – If things don't go Ricardo Mayorga's way on May 15, his MMA career could be over before it ever really starts.

Mayorga, who faces Din Thomas (25-8 MMA) in a 160-pound catchweight main event at "Shine Fights: Worlds Collide" on Saturday, May 15, said he'll retire from MMA if he loses – or even if he wins by decision.

If he wins as he predicts – a knockout in the first minute of the first round – he'll call out boxing kingpin Floyd Mayweather.

"(Felix) Trinidad, (Shane) Mosely, (Oscar) De La Hoya – combined, they've had more than six belts," Mayorga (28-7 Boxing, 0-0 MMA) today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) through translator Steve Freitxas. "I've only lost to those big champs. But I'm not going to lose to a nobody."

The boxer and the MMA veteran nearly came to blows at a New York press conference in April when Mayorga karate-chopped Thomas' neck in the midst of a trash talk session. They were far more cordial today at a small gathering of reporters in a West Los Angeles boxing gym.

Mayorga, a native of Managua, Nicaragua, threw a few jibs at Thomas in Spanish during a photo op in the middle of the ring, to which Thomas replied, "Yo quiero cerveza," ("I want beer") to laughs all around.

The tough-talking former boxing champ said his early streetfighting days prepared him for next Saturday's MMA fight.

"I used to fight raw in the streets, brawling," he said "They used to kick you in the face while you're down on the ground. On the street, they hit you with shoes; they hit you with everything."

Rosendo Alvarez, Mayorga's boxing trainer of three years, said his fighter had been training MMA techniques for two months with a private teacher at The Fight Club in Miami. He and Mayorga declined to name the trainer but said the training focused on "mostly defensive tactics."

"At 160 (pounds), he won't be starved," Alvarez said. "It's not like he's going to fight Mayweather, and he's got to drop down to 143 (pounds), it's a huge difference. He's got real power with his punches. That's where I think Din Thomas messed up, ... taking the fight at 160 instead of a lower weight."

Mayorga said he has long been a fan of MMA for its "violence" and would have chosen the sport over boxing had it been popular when he started fighting at age 13.

"It was really tough to get ahold of somebody for me to jump into MMA," he said. "But now that I'm getting the opportunity, I want to embrace it."

credit: Steven Marrocco reporter for MMAjunkie.com
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the   Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the EmptyTue May 04, 2010 9:38 pm

I love Ricardo's dedication.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the   Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the EmptyTue May 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Lol I can't wait for this fight.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the   Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the EmptyTue May 04, 2010 9:55 pm

1 and done then
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the   Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the EmptyTue May 04, 2010 10:28 pm

Yeah this one won't be good, no matter how it ends up.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the   Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the EmptyTue May 04, 2010 11:26 pm

hahaha I love how Mayorga says I love MMA for its violence

hahahah
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the   Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the EmptyTue May 04, 2010 11:28 pm

Mayorga is going to lose a leg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the   Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the Empty

Back to top Go down

Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the
Page 1 of 1