Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Carl Edwards punishment

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

Carl Edwards punishment Empty
PostSubject: Carl Edwards punishment   Carl Edwards punishment EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:37 pm

Three race probation (not real sure what that really means)... Too soft, just right, too harsh? It's hard not to put the result into the equation. These guys are driving 3,000 pound weapons and there's an inherent risk when an accident occurs. Question is should they be using their cars to settle beefs? Is it a smart play to risk the lives of other drivers and possibly fans because they somehow feel wronged?

Examples from other sports... Players will get fines and suspensions for going after a knee, helmet to helmet or some instances of unnecessary roughness in football... They will get the same for injury from slashing, knee to knee or injury by crosscheck in hockey... They will get the same for pitching at a hitters head or fighting in baseball... They will get the same for fighting in basketball, just ask that tall Frosh chick (name eludes me for a moment). None of these have any real risk to kill anyone else though, and their penalties are much harsher...

My opinion... Sit him 3 races, take 100 points and 100K from his wallet. If you're NASCAR, hold a presser and tell the world that this isn't what you meant by settling things on the track and admit you made a mistake in assuming drivers can police themselves and revise that original pre season release to say that drivers will be settling their issues in the garage after races like hockey players do... If trying to kill eachother on the track is your way of attracting fans, you need to rethink your priorities and business strategy...
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Carl Edwards punishment   Carl Edwards punishment EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Three race probation (not real sure what that really means)... Too soft, just right, too harsh? It's hard not to put the result into the equation. These guys are driving 3,000 pound weapons and there's an inherent risk when an accident occurs. Question is should they be using their cars to settle beefs? Is it a smart play to risk the lives of other drivers and possibly fans because they somehow feel wronged?

Examples from other sports... Players will get fines and suspensions for going after a knee, helmet to helmet or some instances of unnecessary roughness in football... They will get the same for injury from slashing, knee to knee or injury by crosscheck in hockey... They will get the same for pitching at a hitters head or fighting in baseball... They will get the same for fighting in basketball, just ask that tall Frosh chick (name eludes me for a moment). None of these have any real risk to kill anyone else though, and their penalties are much harsher...

My opinion... Sit him 3 races, take 100 points and 100K from his wallet. If you're NASCAR, hold a presser and tell the world that this isn't what you meant by settling things on the track and admit you made a mistake in assuming drivers can police themselves and revise that original pre season release to say that drivers will be settling their issues in the garage after races like hockey players do... If trying to kill eachother on the track is your way of attracting fans, you need to rethink your priorities and business strategy...

I agree, but fans will hate it. Alot of Nascar fans thrive off that kind of stuff.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Carl Edwards punishment   Carl Edwards punishment EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:54 pm

That accident was sick.

Im no fan of Nascar, but I do enjoy watching those wrecks on the highlights on ESPN.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Carl Edwards punishment   Carl Edwards punishment EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Well NASCAR asked for this when they told them to go "old school" and police themselves. If he wouldn't have went airborn they wouldn't have cared at all.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Carl Edwards punishment   Carl Edwards punishment EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 2:35 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Well NASCAR asked for this when they told them to go "old school" and police themselves. If he wouldn't have went airborn they wouldn't have cared at all.

You're right about that... But he did in fact go airborn reinforcing the fact that even the slightest nudge at 190 could be deadly. If it happens while "racing" that's one thing... It's part of the risk they take as drivers. But when it happens as a result of retaliation, then it becomes almost criminal if something goes awry. If that cage doesn't hold and the drivers head is crushed while flipping and a wheel comes off and goes over the fence and takes out a family of five... What are we thinking then? The driver admits that he intentionally wrecked the other driver. Wouldn't this become manslaughter at the very least (Jimbo, is this your area of expertice)? Dude just intentionally caused an accident that led to the death of six people. Did he intend to kill the people?... No. But he did intend to cause the accident. This is why NASCAR is playing with fire by allowing these guys to use their cars as retaliatory weapons. Someone gets hurt as the result of an intentional wreck and NASCAR will be paying that family for life!

I just think that Helton suggesting that they need the ratings so bad that drivers can go at eachother on the track is a bad play. And then he has a chance to take one back yesterday, and he blows that call as well. His quote, "We made it very clear to him that these actions are not acceptable... He did not cross the line"... What is crossing the line to these guys? Seriously... Are a couple of ratings points worth a life or two?

A mixed reaction among the other drivers... Robbie Gordon and Kevin Harvick are asking for a refund on their penalties in the past for being fined and punished for much less (Also eluding to favoratism as being a big part of the lack of penalty), while a couple of other drivers are saying, hurray NASCAR. What NASCAR should be concerned about is an unnamed driver coming out and saying, "Agree or not, precedence is set. If I'm Driver-X, and somebody's holdin' me up, I ain't a damn bit scared to bomb into one and send 'em now." They may have opened the flood gates for an all out derby out there... Good for fans watching on TV, but dangerous for the drivers and fans at the track!!!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Carl Edwards punishment   Carl Edwards punishment EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 2:46 pm

NASCAR's #1 concern with this whole thing is the car going airborn. Carl wrecking Brad on purpose doesn't bother NASCAR, infact that is exactly what they wanted. They are changing from the wing to the spoiler and some think that might help keep the cars on the ground.
The car going airborn is just bad all around. Bad for the drivers, bad for the fans, just bad.
NASCAR just had some bad luck that he just didn't put him cleanly into the wall, not even sure if Carl would have been given probation if that happened.
If anyone needs to take responsibility for what happened or what could happen(injuy or death to fan) it is NASCAR. Carl was just doing what they asked him to do. Don't hold back for fear of being penalized, go get him yourself. I don't think taking revenge at 200mph is a good idea even if they can keep the cars on the ground. Shit can happen.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Carl Edwards punishment   Carl Edwards punishment EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 7:42 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:

You're right about that... But he did in fact go airborn reinforcing the fact that even the slightest nudge at 190 could be deadly. If it happens while "racing" that's one thing... It's part of the risk they take as drivers. But when it happens as a result of retaliation, then it becomes almost criminal if something goes awry. If that cage doesn't hold and the drivers head is crushed while flipping and a wheel comes off and goes over the fence and takes out a family of five... What are we thinking then? The driver admits that he intentionally wrecked the other driver. Wouldn't this become manslaughter at the very least (Jimbo, is this your area of expertice)? Dude just intentionally caused an accident that led to the death of six people. Did he intend to kill the people?... No. But he did intend to cause the accident. This is why NASCAR is playing with fire by allowing these guys to use their cars as retaliatory weapons. Someone gets hurt as the result of an intentional wreck and NASCAR will be paying that family for life!

I just think that Helton suggesting that they need the ratings so bad that drivers can go at eachother on the track is a bad play. And then he has a chance to take one back yesterday, and he blows that call as well. His quote, "We made it very clear to him that these actions are not acceptable... He did not cross the line"... What is crossing the line to these guys? Seriously... Are a couple of ratings points worth a life or two?

A mixed reaction among the other drivers... Robbie Gordon and Kevin Harvick are asking for a refund on their penalties in the past for being fined and punished for much less (Also eluding to favoratism as being a big part of the lack of penalty), while a couple of other drivers are saying, hurray NASCAR. What NASCAR should be concerned about is an unnamed driver coming out and saying, "Agree or not, precedence is set. If I'm Driver-X, and somebody's holdin' me up, I ain't a damn bit scared to bomb into one and send 'em now." They may have opened the flood gates for an all out derby out there... Good for fans watching on TV, but dangerous for the drivers and fans at the track!!!

A couple of lives are worth it to them for real. I usually watch the last 20 or so laps of every other race, but I am gonna be watching the next one. Nascar just cares about ratings and it is gonna come back to haunt them imo. Harvick and Gordon should be asking for a refund imo too. The unamed driver just hyped me up to watch at hom, but I will never take my family to a race. It only takes one freak accident to kill a person or two and I won't take the chance. I don't even go near the track at Churchill Downs.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Carl Edwards punishment   Carl Edwards punishment EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 2:10 am

Nascar's official clarification on the policy of drivers policing themselves ;
Quote :
yo someone please just wreck Jimmie Johnson before he wins again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carl Edwards punishment   Carl Edwards punishment Empty

Back to top Go down

Carl Edwards punishment
Page 1 of 1