Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21

Go down 
+10
bobbitt15
KingsOwn19
ohiovol62
Wolfgangsta
Ludo
LA
OU
captain organic
Farmer1906
Ninja
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 Empty
PostSubject: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:59 am

Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 12:01 pm

I really thought KenFLo wanted this on PPV. Awesome fight though. Gomi is going to get hurt.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 12:11 pm

sweet. UFC is doing a nice job with these free cards.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 12:12 pm

fuck yea
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Don't count Gomi out poeple

Great fight though
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 1:31 pm

It's looking to be a good card already if the rumors are true about Nate Quarry vs Jorge Rivera and Yushin Okami vs Lucio Linhares. I can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 1:38 pm

The UFC errors when they have fighters like this debut against guys who will just trash them. Why didn't Gomi get a more reasonable fight against a Spencer Fisher or Tyson Griffin first?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
The UFC errors when they have fighters like this debut against guys who will just trash them. Why didn't Gomi get a more reasonable fight against a Spencer Fisher or Tyson Griffin first?

Cuz Dana wants to make PRIDE look like a joke. Not surprised he didn't feed him to BJ to unite the titles.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm not going to count out Gomi because 31 is not old and he can get back to form but the guy really has looked average for awhile now. I mean 2-2 in his last 4 fights, and he looked pretty over the hills and far away in his last win against some no name.

I don't know. I'm not really expecting good things from Gomi in UFC...and i think booking him vs. Kenny is pretty much overrating him right now. Sam Stout or somebody like that would be more suitable first fight in the UFC. Gomi went 2-2 in Sengoku and looked very sluggish in his last win. I don't know how UFC decides to put him vs. Florian right off the bat but i'm assuming they are still living in 2007 and they had JUST bought PRIDE. They will probably promote this fight as if Gomi has just been on vacation since he was last on a roll and not really showing the rest of the MMA world outside of UFC that he is not what he once was right now.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:24 pm

I agree with the sentiments above. Would have been nice to see Gomi in a more winnable fight here. Should be an entertaining ME though. Surpised its not on a PPV card. I'll make the same prediction I did for the KenFlo-Guida fight which came true: Florian via RNC 2nd round
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:26 pm

ohiovol62 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

Cuz Dana wants to make PRIDE look like a joke. Not surprised he didn't feed him to BJ to unite the titles.

I would not be surprised.

I can see them doing it so they can do another Ultimate Greatest Things Ever special and have Dana and Rogan raving about "Gomi was a PRIDE superstar and people were expecting big things but UFC guy Kenny Florian had other ideas". I hope Gomi wins, i just think UFC knows he is kind of slippin and know he can vey well get decisioned by somebody like Stout and want to use him for a main event caliber fight before he settles down in the middle of the division ranks because most casual fans don't know that Gomi has been fairly mediocre for the past 2-3 years so UFC is attempting to milk the PRIDE nostalgia right off the bat.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 3:50 pm

1. Spike wants to give Florian a cock sandwich

2. Gomi vs Ralph, yall remember that one? Wooooo

hope this isnt the end if Gomi loses
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:10 pm

In fairness Gomi did get robbed horribly in that fight with the Russian.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
In fairness Gomi did get robbed horribly in that fight with the Russian.

Yeah, but he then lost to Kitaoka and looked "decent" against Nakakura... But then looked really pedestrian in his last fight against Tony Freaking Hervey. He hasn't really looked that great for a couple of years now...
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Gomi is gonna get destroyed here. Kenny will maul him in the clinch and then sub him with ease after beating the snot out of him ... imo.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 12:36 am

Gomi is 31, Florian is 33. I still expect Kenflo to whip his ass though.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 am

great example of fighters peaking at different times
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 1:45 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
ohiovol62 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

I can see them doing it so they can do another Ultimate Greatest Things Ever special and have Dana and Rogan raving about "Gomi was a PRIDE superstar and people were expecting big things but UFC guy Kenny Florian had other ideas". I hope Gomi wins, i just think UFC knows he is kind of slippin and know he can vey well get decisioned by somebody like Stout and want to use him for a main event caliber fight before he settles down in the middle of the division ranks because most casual fans don't know that Gomi has been fairly mediocre for the past 2-3 years so UFC is attempting to milk the PRIDE nostalgia right off the bat.

Would you rather the UFC be like "Well this guy used to be good, but he's looked like dogshit and I don't expect much from him."

Yeah.... That'll make people want to watch. The UFC promotes their fighters.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:05 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:
ohiovol62 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

Would you rather the UFC be like "Well this guy used to be good, but he's looked like dogshit and I don't expect much from him."

Yeah.... That'll make people want to watch. The UFC promotes their fighters.

Not exactly. What i would like is if they put Gomi in a fight he belongs in right now...Kenny Florian is not it. That's overpromoting their fighters based off a run that was a long time ago. I do kind of see a problem with promoting him like PRIDE went out of business yesterday and he is still the PRIDE champion Gomi when his performance over the past 3 years suggests he belongs in fights with middle of the pack guys like Nate Diaz, Sam Stout or maybe Cole Miller...AT BEST Daddy Stevenson.

You are pretty much lying to your fans and kind of sticking Gomi in with arguably the #2 lightweight in the company based on his status 3 years ago which is not even close anymore. I think it's kind of irresponsible matchmaking if you don't look at it from a hype standpoint, which i try not to do. They can easily promote Gomi as the PRIDE champion and put him in a fight where he belongs in and his fans will watch and Gomi might come out looking better...i think this is meant to make Florian look great.

I'm rooting for the guy, but i think Florian is going to break him off something terrible and i'm kind of confident thats what the UFC thinks as well.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:10 am

I can agree it is a very difficult match and Gomi fans would want him to have an easier road or a warm up fight, but you could also look at it as striking while the iron is still semi hot. If Gomi loses to Cole Miller, then what? They're probably paying Gomi way to much to just cut him. Plus if Gomi beats KenFlo then it comes very easy to give him a title shot and a "unification" fight. I see it as a high risk, high reward fight for Gomi.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:26 am

Ok guys mythically, does the Gomi that was owning Pride beat this BJ? what is yalls take?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:37 am

Gomi that was owning PRIDE could not beat BJ back then. Gomi started his big ten fight win streak in PRIDE just a few months after BJ submitted him. I think it's fair to say he's was pretty much the same level of the guy who dominated PRIDE.

If he fought current BJ Penn in his 2004-2006 form, he would get a beating.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:06 am

see I disagree King he had lost to Hansen only 2 months before losing to BJ

I think the Gomi from 2004 and 2005 was improved from the 2003 Gomi
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 5:53 am

Kings own is right here. Beyond that, there is the whole "UFC jitters" that Japanese fighters especially have to fight through.

Horrible match making.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:49 am

Another great avitar Andrew
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21   Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gomi vs Florian Confirmed for UFN 21
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next