Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What to make of Wanderlei Silva?

Go down 
+4
CombatSports4Life
LA
Ninja
Wolfgangsta
8 posters

Wanderlei's future?
Champion at LHW.
What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_lcap0%What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Champion at MW.
What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_lcap5%What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Top ten at MW.
What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_lcap50%What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 10 ]
Top ten at LHW.
What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_lcap5%What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Dangerous to anyone at anyweight, but will never be top ten again.
What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_lcap30%What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_rcap
 30% [ 6 ]
Not a threat anymore. Washed up.
What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_lcap10%What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Empty
PostSubject: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 11:41 pm

His recent career has been a mystery. His fight with Crocop was the turning point. His style was exploited leading to him getting battered before the fight ended with a vicious IQ-point-shaving Crocop head kick. Then Dan Henderson and old rival Quinton Jackson defeat him by vicious knockouts, but in two close losses to championship caliber strikers in Liddell and Franklin he was competitive and dangerous the whole time, and he straight blasted Jardine, who is as good as nearly anyone in the division.

Three bad knockouts ya, but lets put them in perspective, Dan Henderson and Rampage have the biggest power of any fighter in the LHW in the division, and CC's headkicks maybe the strongest blows in MMA history. Even fighters with power like Chuck and Rich, who both have devastating one punch knockouts couldn't get the job done.

Wanderlei's last fight was awesome. He won that fight in some people's eyes and put on a great show. Wandy is trying to adapt his game. His hand speed is a bit slower but it is still fast enough for most in the division. I bet he would beat Rich a second time and he knows it and Rich probably knows it.

What do we make of him at this point? Is it even possible to say?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 11:44 pm

I think he could beat anyone at 185 except Anderson, Hendo, and Nate.

I doubt he will ever hold a belt again though.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:37 am

I think he's got a good chance to break the top 10 at MW, that's what I voted for, he needs a solid MW fight to get him going, honestly I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Bisping, another highlight reel knockout would do Wandy good. Like Ninja said though, Anderson, Hendo and Nate would be tough for him at this point.
Akiyama???
Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

Favorite Fighter(s) : FEDOR

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:41 am

Right now i think 185 is wide open. wandy would be a good size at 185 i think he could hold his own very well. I could see him beating nate and maia but i dunno about hendo. I also think anderson's striking is too technical for him. I could see him cracking the top 5 and maybe #3 but thats about it.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:42 am

Top 10 MW. Don't see him beating Silva or Henderson but think he would have a decent shot against the other top guys
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:44 am

Who voted Champ? and you're underrated Nate IMO, I just don't see Wandy taking him at this point.

I would love to see Nate vs. Hendo

And wait till Vitor's in the mix guys
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:59 am

Maybe not. I think Nate is losing his next fight though
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 2:01 am

I don't, but they'll be a GOR for that of course
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 2:05 am

The thing is i dont think Wand will ever get an easy opponent all he does is fight the very best. I respect the hell out of wand he is a fighter's fighter but nobody has faced the competition he has in the past years. Kinda wanna see wand vs vitor 2 but i don't want to see either lose since im a fan of both.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Wanderlei is my favorite fighter but he will never be a champ again, hopefully he brings the fury at MW and we get to see him vs the very best the ufc has to offer.

btw my wife just said are you **** kidding me you wanted me to hold your daughter so you could blog about the man you want to have sex with
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 7:15 pm

I went washed up. Though I admit he still could be top 10 MW, but considering the fighter that he was, I think it's a major step down.

I didn't think he looked very good vs Franklin at all(again in comparison to his old self) not nearly as aggressive or explosive as his old self, and his style is dependent on those characteristics. But with the KO's has come caution, and with age, and numerous war's has come eroded skills. That erosion of skill will only continue.

The one hope I have for him, is that he abondans the weight training. Some had said the weight cut was tough for him, then why in every training video that I saw leading up to Franklin was he in the weight room working with heavy iron? He looked way too bulked in the shoulders, and in imo may contibute to his relative lack of quickness. Lose the weight, loosen up the shoulders, become a bit more fluid, and let his natural punching power flow.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 2:50 am

captain organic wrote:
I went washed up. Though I admit he still could be top 10 MW, but considering the fighter that he was, I think it's a major step down.

I didn't think he looked very good vs Franklin at all(again in comparison to his old self) not nearly as aggressive or explosive as his old self, and his style is dependent on those characteristics. But with the KO's has come caution, and with age, and numerous war's has come eroded skills. That erosion of skill will only continue.

The one hope I have for him, is that he abondans the weight training. Some had said the weight cut was tough for him, then why in every training video that I saw leading up to Franklin was he in the weight room working with heavy iron? He looked way too bulked in the shoulders, and in imo may contibute to his relative lack of quickness. Lose the weight, loosen up the shoulders, become a bit more fluid, and let his natural punching power flow.

+1 on your opinion of his training.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to make of Wanderlei Silva?   What to make of Wanderlei Silva? Empty

Back to top Go down

What to make of Wanderlei Silva?
Page 1 of 1