Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lions Den

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 9:29 pm

If you think Ken Shamrock cant train you know nothing honestly heres fighters he trained and that were in the Lions Den

Guy Mezger - Won UFC 14 tournament, beat Tito, went 1-1 vs him, fought Sakuraba, Nog, Vitor, Chuck, Wanderlei. And beat half the guys on the list.

Jerry Bohlander- One of the toughest 200 under fighters of the early UFC days. Won UFC 13 tournament was dominant until Tito.

Frank Shamrock - Learned alot from this group in his early days before leaving with Maurice

Maurice Smith - Like Frank he learned alot of the submission and ground game aspect from Ke and Lions Den and left with Frank.

Pete Williams - Great early day HW, Man yall check out the KICK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgdFItgZ9aE&feature=related
[b

Tra Telligman - [/b]Guy had no pectoral muscle, and had to have face reconstructed twice and still went 7-5-1.

Ken Shamrock - Duh

Alex - cant remember his last name he was first fighter kciked out of UFc event, still was solid pro

Oleg Taktarov - Funnniest guy from the clock, I loved seeing him all the time, Oleg was very good fighter who learned with Lions Den. Fight vs ken kind of ruined relationship a little. Cost Ken an extra 10 grand.

Theres more im jsut tired of listing
Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

Favorite Fighter(s) : FEDOR

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 10:43 pm

No offense bird but if you didn't notice those are all the old school guys. Ken was great for his era but it just seems he's outdated. Seriously the guy is awesome he helped train Marines but he's pretty irrelevant in todays MMA.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 12:40 am

True but without Ken training those guys the games evolution is much slower.

Those werent just good early fighters , those where the best.
Match Lions Den vs any other Camps fighters and its a close match up
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 12:40 am

True but without Ken training those guys the games evolution is much slower.

Those werent just good early fighters , those where the best.
Match Lions Den vs any other Camps fighters and its a close match up
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 12:58 am

Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:12 am

No back in the day the Lions den was it. Ken was considered like a pat miletich type in that day. I'm not disagreeing with that I'm just talking about today.
Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:14 am

for the record mezger is one of the most underrated fighters of all time.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:23 am

oh ya combat totalyy agree on Mezger its pathetic how he gets ranked. But ya your right Ken pretty much showed alot of guys submissions and the game evolved. Just like everyone copied Gracies guard whether they understood it or not.
Thats why i call the UFC a copycat league to an extent.

It's fun too watch the old UFC and the commentators are jsut like well this guys from Lions Den he should win. Normally it was right.
People say Im crazy when I say a prime Ken Shamrock beats a prime Tito Ortiz, Im serious Ken could own Guy and Frank when he wanted to in the gym, they both beat Tito. I personally think the last time we saw Ken Shamrock in his prime was vs Brian Johnson.

He's like Ali in alot of ways in after his long lay off he came back copletely different. Just like Ali more beefed up, not quite as durable. At one time Ken had one of the best chins in the game, took shots from Kimo, Severn, Johnson, Oleg.

I cant think of the name of the fighter but the one fight where Ken is in Pride completey dominating fight and had to throw in towel cause he was gassed. That to me showed me Ken wasnt the greatest fighter in the world anymore or close to it.

Cause people dont realize it but Ken Shamrock was the best fighter in the world for a year and a half stretch dominating UFC and Pancrase
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:28 am

He fought Fujita when he gassed and threw in the towel. He said it felt like he was about to have a heart attack and he couldn't see anything. He had a good chin but when he made his return he was usually gassed by the end of the 1st round in all of his fights
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:31 am

Also Combat you said they were all in young days, I agree its cause Ken didnt really want to train old he was actually learning some new stuff from Guy Mezger, He definently didnt care how his TUF team came out he was 100 percent on himself vs Tito. Cant blame him for that
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:32 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
He fought Fujita when he gassed and threw in the towel. He said it felt like he was about to have a heart attack and he couldn't see anything. He had a good chin but when he made his return he was usually gassed by the end of the 1st round in all of his fights

Which is pretty nuts considering he went 35 minutes several ties in UFC early days
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:33 am

yall check this out its hilarious cause its in Pancrase when you had to do open palm punches or slaps and look at Ken just owning this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxdJa57rBC4
Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:36 am

I think Ken was at his absolute prime at UFC 8. Ken is one of the all time greats but i don't believe you can compare fighters from certain era's. I think a Prime Tito beats Shamrock because he was a different era of fighter. Tito was in the era that got to actually see how it is done and certain thing to defend against. when guys like royce and ken were going in they didn't fully understand all the aspects of what was going on. They were the pioneers of the sport so i think it's really hard to compare the two to be honest.
Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:37 am

double post
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 am

CombatSports4Life wrote:
No offense bird but if you didn't notice those are all the old school guys. Ken was great for his era but it just seems he's outdated. Seriously the guy is awesome he helped train Marines but he's pretty irrelevant in todays MMA.

^ great post
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:43 am

see I disagree, Ken new most of what modern mma is he just wasnt as well rounded at it as Frank . What Ken virtually became was a "I hope I catch you doing something stupid" fighter at the end of his career. His shoot on Fraknlins leg is perfect example. I personally think Kens pime is bw UFC 5 and 8 I mean UFC 6 he sprawl guillotines Dan Severn twice, I think he could defend Titos take down in his prime. I think he'd do exactly what Mezger did a sprawl guillotine.
Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:46 am

That's fine we can agree to disagree.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:48 am

hahah definently.

Ken was more irrelevant than alot of peopel realize, he brought the heel hook to the UFC not Gracie, and virtually all semi defense for leg locks was developed because of him.

The fight that almost semi happened that I wish did was Oleg Taktarov vs Tito, Oleg did not like Tito obviously but it never came about.

That wouldve been a good one
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 am

by way any of yall seen DAN HENDERSON VS FRANK HAMROCK - Its great its a wrestling rules tournament and Frank still wins. Watch it closely and see that Frank shoots for one leg and switches too the other one. Thats ballsy, but man it works check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDnCUJwkcfE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lions Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions Den   Lions Den Empty

Back to top Go down

Lions Den
Page 1 of 1