Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida

Go down 
+2
acccardinal12
Hitman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Hitman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida Empty
PostSubject: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 5:18 am

http://www.mmaweekly.com/vitor-belfort-withdraws-from-ufc-173-amidst-trt-ban-chris-weidman-now-faces-lyoto-machida

Following the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s unanimous vote to ban testosterone replacement therapy, Vitor Belfort has withdrawn from UFC 173, officials announced on Thursday evening.

In Belfort’s place, Lyoto Machida will fight UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman on the upcoming pay-per-view card, which takes place May 24.

UFC president Dana White said Machida earned the title shot after dominating his last two fights after dropping to the middleweight division from the 205-pound ranks.

“He’s earned this shot at Weidman, who’s coming off two straight wins over the greatest fighter of all time, Anderson Silva,” White said in a statement. “Machida wants nothing more than to avenge the losses of his friend and training partner, and become just the third fighter in UFC history to win titles in two separate weight classes.”

The NSAC voted unanimously on Thursday to ban the controversial therapeutic use of testosterone, and the UFC soon after announced it would follow suit and no longer grant TRT exemptions for any of the events it self-governed in regions without a governing body to oversee fight cards.

Thursday’s news prompted Belfort to forego applying for a license to fight in the state of Nevada and withdraw from the May pay-per-view. Additionally, Belfort said he will no longer undergo testosterone replacement therapy, choosing to fight in MMA without it from now on.

“The Nevada State Athletic Commission recently altered its policy and no longer will permit testosterone use exemptions, and will not permit a TRT program,” Belfort said in a statement to FOX Sports Live. “As other jurisdictions may follow suit, I am going to drop my TRT program and compete in MMA without it. Given the time constraints involved between now and my proposed next bout in May, I have determined not to apply for a license to fight in Nevada at this time.”

The champion, Weidman, said he’s kept his eye on Machida since the former light heavyweight champion cut down to 185 pounds, and welcomes his challenge.

Much of the talk following Machida’s last fight, a domination of Gegard Mousasi, included Machida being next in line to face the winner of the Weidman vs. Belfort bout. After Thursday’s news, Weidman said he’s looking forward to defending his title against a fighter that he said knows how to collect championship belts.

“Machida is a dangerous fighter and he knows what it takes to become champion,” Weidman told FOX Sports Live. “He’s been on my radar since he dropped to 185, so I’m looking forward to defending my title against him at UFC 173 in May.”

Machida shared Weidman’s enthusiasm for the new main event.

“I’m really excited for this opportunity to fight UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman,” Machida said. “I’m going to train hard and be well prepared for this fight.”

UFC 173 is scheduled to take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 9:54 am

I knew this was coming
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 12:25 pm

This sucks. Couldn't they wait a few months to ban TRT? Chris was going to win anyways. I'd much rather see Chris vs Jacare then Chris vs Machida. This style matchup is going to be frustrating and tedious.
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 12:59 pm

OU wrote:
This sucks. Couldn't they wait a few months to ban TRT?

hahaha, that's what i thought but i ddn't say it.

whilst i applaud the sentiment, couldn't they have just waited until after this fight FFS?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 6:29 pm

I think machida and weidman will be an awesome chess match. Looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 am

Guess that's it for Belfort. You can't convince me TRT was not having a major impact on his career. Everything changed about him...he was acting like a damn child, he was more ripped than ever, and he was doing things he had never done before...also, that fuckin mohawk. It was ridiculous how this was allowed to slide for so long.

Machida is better than any version of Vitor..Old Vitor, New Vitor, TRT Vitor..so this is good news.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 1:46 am

I agree with u kings! How u been btw?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 am

Good. How about you? Where were you for all that time?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 2:02 am

I got a promotion at work and my daughter had some very scary health problems but all is well now and I'm back. Hopefully u start posting more now and we can livin the place up a bit.
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 3:25 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Guess that's it for Belfort. You can't convince me TRT was not having a major impact on his career. Everything changed about him...he was acting like a damn child, he was more ripped than ever, and he was doing things he had never done before...also, that fuckin mohawk. It was ridiculous how this was allowed to slide for so long.

Machida is better than any version of Vitor..Old Vitor, New Vitor, TRT Vitor..so this is good news.

whilst i agree with all that...........

i still enjoyed watching drug crazed vitor knocking fuckers out left and right.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 11:17 am

Weidman has some kind of leg injury that requires minor surgery. This fight has been pushed back to 4th of July weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida   Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida Empty

Back to top Go down

Vitor Belfort Withdraws from UFC 173 Amidst TRT Ban; Chris Weidman Now Faces Lyoto Machida
Page 1 of 1