Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?

Go down 
+6
Andrew the Raider King
Bigs03
ohiovol62
Farmer1906
oggy420
Wolfgangsta
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? Empty
PostSubject: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 am

Tell me, what has this assclown done besides grow his forehead?

Someone sell me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 2:43 am

Hell no. He's passing up a fight with Fedor cause he's a steroid mutant and aynone who thinks otherwise is in denial. That or he's just too big of a pussy to fight you know who.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 3:04 am

He beat Buentello, Hunt, Cro Cop, and some nobodies. Hunt and Cro Cop were good at one point so those are kind of valid, but have gone waaaaay downhill. Those aren't great, but I'd say those 3 are better than anyone Grim has beaten except for Arlovski & better than anyone Carwin has beaten except for Gonzaga. Then you throw in his huge mass and decent showings in K-1.

So yeah I say he's on the same level as Carwin, Grim, Arlovski, Werdum, & Gonzaga. All borderline top 10 types.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 9:03 am

Farmer's right, I have Roid Face in the top 10 but that's not really a complement. Carwin and Grim are in the top 10 so Overeem should prolly be up there too. When you only have a few elite HWs, say 6 or 7, that means there's gonna be 3 or 4 that don't really need to be there. I mean outside of Fedor, Brock(kinda), Nog, Barnett and Mir(I guess) who else is there? Cain looks good but he's fought 7 times. If he was a LHW, he would be a 10-20 guy. Ditto with Carwin. Ditto with Grim. JDS is a bad man, I'm surprised he dosn't get more pub. I will say that AA and Timmy would be up there but their recent losses take them out of it. They are some of the few that have decent resumes.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 9:28 am

ohiovol62 wrote:
Farmer's right, I have Roid Face in the top 10 but that's not really a complement. Carwin and Grim are in the top 10 so Overeem should prolly be up there too. When you only have a few elite HWs, say 6 or 7, that means there's gonna be 3 or 4 that don't really need to be there. I mean outside of Fedor, Brock(kinda), Nog, Barnett and Mir(I guess) who else is there? Cain looks good but he's fought 7 times. If he was a LHW, he would be a 10-20 guy. Ditto with Carwin. Ditto with Grim. JDS is a bad man, I'm surprised he dosn't get more pub. I will say that AA and Timmy would be up there but their recent losses take them out of it. They are some of the few that have decent resumes.

You guess Mir is a top 10 heavyweight? Hmm.

Cain is definitely in the top 10 as well. Probably around 7 or 8 until he beats a top 5 guy. Kongo probably hangs around the 9 or 10 spot. Grim shouldn't be in the top 10 and neither should Arlovski at this point. There could be an argument made for Werdum and Big Foot as well. It's hard to rank the top HWs because they are spread out between SF and the UFC. If Overeem wants to stay in the top 10 he needs to get his ass into the mix again in SF. Until then they need to strip him of his belt and let Fedor fight Werdum for it.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 9:51 am

I was talking about Elite HWs. Mir is clearly a top 10 HW.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 11:11 am

Brock is kinda elite? Are you fucking crazy? I don't like Fedor as many DBs here who worship the ground he walks on, but I don't like Brock either. But I know they are, in fact, not fiction the two best HWs around and there is no Kinda about it. I got one who treats the fans like shit and acts like an asshole and another who hasn't had a real fight since Mirko, but it doesn't mean they aren't the best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 11:59 am

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
Brock is kinda elite? Are you fucking crazy? I don't like Fedor as many DBs here who worship the ground he walks on, but I don't like Brock either. But I know they are, in fact, not fiction the two best HWs around and there is no Kinda about it. I got one who treats the fans like shit and acts like an asshole and another who hasn't had a real fight since Mirko, but it doesn't mean they aren't the best.

How can you say Fedor hasn't had a real fight since Mirko? When he fought Tim Sylvia, Sylvia was just coming of a close lose for the UFC heavyweight title and when he fought Arlovski, Arlovski was ranked 2 in the world.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 12:08 pm

I am crazy but thats besides the point. Brock has beat the shit out of herring, Mir twice(IMO) and Randy. I would count all three as quality wins even though both Randy and Heath were well past their prime. I said "Kinda" simply because we havn't seen much of him in terms of fighting. Add in his current health situation is anther reason why I said "Kinda". Didn't mean to be offend anyone with my use of "kinda". In response to Fedor not beating anyone good since Cro Cop is just something I don't want to get deep into. You don't like Fedor and thats fine but Timmy and AA ruled the UFC HW division for years, they were not kicked out as what Dana said but left for more money. That move has since played out to be bad career moves for both. It is more of a testament to how weak the UFC HW division was and it wasn't that long ago. And if you think Grim was not a quality win, then thats fine too, but Grim would kick a lot of ass in the UFC and is more or less the same fighter as Carwin. I guess for the purposes of full disclosure I should put "Kinda" behind each name for the exception of Fedor and Nog, because they are the only two HWs that are STILL elite that have good resumes. lol
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 2:51 pm

ohio with some super sound logic here men with regards to Brock and Fedor.
I see the case with those borderline wins for Overeem, but the problem with Overeem is his losses before that. I can understand an undefeated prospect getting ranked highly with some decent wins, but not a guy who has been routinely trashed by elites in lower weightclasses. Say Paul Buentello goes now, and beats Ricco Rodrigez and Semmy Schilt and such, does he become top ten?

Din Thomas stops Gomi and Jens Pulver, top ten?

Overeem is a hype train.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:01 pm

I wouldn't mind having a guy with a record peppered with loses in the top 10 (ex. Randy in LHW and for that matter HW) but they would have to have SOME legit wins over top comp after the loses. Overeem might be a top 10 HW but he's either 9 or 10. Personally I would have Werdum and AA dispite his loses in front of Overeem. Not saying AA is good, far from it, but he's prolly better than Overeem. Hell I even think Werdum has a win over Roids in PRIDE but I could be wrong
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Yeah, but you gotta understand the Overeem that got dropped by Chuck at 205 is not the same guy who is fighting now. He's bigger, stronger, and has improved his over all game.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Thats a fact. I'd just like to see him fight another name. Hell if he beat up Monson or someone like that I'd have more respect for him as a fighter. He beat Cro Cop I guess, I'd just like to see more.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:19 pm

With heavyweights these days and really for a long time now there has always been debate for the guys who hover around the 7-14 rank. Really this thread could have the title '________, is he worthy of a top ten rating?' Heavyweight is tough to gauge unlike some of the smaller divisions.

As for Overeem, 10 would be the highest I could rank him right now if even that only because of that depth issue. He needs a defining victory against one of StrikeForces 4 or 5 better HW's sometime soon to really be considered a true top ten because there really are only two or three HW's outside of UFC or SF that are worth a damn right now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Who cares? I would much rather see him fight Fedor than Werdum.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Well sticking with Wolf's point...No fucking way. That is like saying Barry Bonds is the best home run hitter of all time. Marion jones is the best female athlete of all time. They are cheaters. Not that I mind a quick hair pull, trunk pull, or light eye gouge to snag a cheap win too much, I am a Raiders fan. But fighting with strength given to you by drinking horse semen, injecting shark piss, or any number of things they do these days? Fuck that. Why don't we have him fight Antonio Silva and give him Overeem a club to give him an edge while we are at it? I would put Struve over him, just cuz he is legit.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 8:39 pm

He's in there by default, but I don't believe in any of the Strikeforce HWs outside of Fedor
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Ohio has a great post and then says AA isn't good? Huh? AA could beat anyone at HW as long as he aviods taking shots that would KO anyone.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 2:42 am

if he cant fight in america that what is the point? There aren't that many good hw's outside of american based promotions, Josh Barnett and who else? The fact the he cant pass a drug test because he's obviously juicing and therefore cant even have meaningful fights hurts his ranking on my list.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 9:09 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Ohio has a great post and then says AA isn't good? Huh? AA could beat anyone at HW as long as he aviods taking shots that would KO anyone.

I think AA is alright. I don't know how to feel about him because he has made me look like an idiot at times. I will admit that if he fought Grim again and moved his head around a bit, he would beat Grim in a rematch. But here's the thing, he has a tendency to keep his head stationary and allow people to tee off on him, and he's done that several times even going back to Timmy. If he could withstand the initial advance of the large relativly unskilled HWs with huge power like Grim and Carwin, AA would pick them apart. I don't think he could beat anyone at HW, he looked good in the Fedor fight but he'll never beat Fedor. I also don't think he could go the distance with Brock (as much as I hate to admit). And I think Nog would beat him, IMO Nog's boxing is on par with AA's. Mir is a toss up, I'm not sold on the new Mir yet.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 9:13 am

oggy420 wrote:
if he cant fight in america that what is the point? There aren't that many good hw's outside of american based promotions, Josh Barnett and who else? The fact the he cant pass a drug test because he's obviously juicing and therefore cant even have meaningful fights hurts his ranking on my list.

Depending on you defenition of good, maybe Aleks?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 11:16 pm

Nog's boxing on par with AA who has perhaps the best hands shy of Anderson and GSP? Oh boy...
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 11:58 pm

if hes in a top 10 at heavyweight ok maybe, in 10-8 range, P4P hell no
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating?   Overeem, is he worthy of a top ten rating? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1