Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense

Go down 
+5
oggy420
acccardinal12
fragelay
GDPofDRC
OU
9 posters
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense Empty
PostSubject: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 3:29 pm

Quote :
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre states the reason he wanted to face Nick Diaz is because in his mind he was the No. 1 contender for the belt.

The long reigning champion was quizzed on Wednesday during a UFC 158 pre-fight press conference in Montreal about his decision to ask the UFC to face Diaz instead of current top contender Johny Hendricks.

St-Pierre says there were a few factors at work, including the idea that it was the fight the fans wanted to see most.

“It’s different reasons why – first, Nick and I were supposed to fight before, and this is the fight everybody wants to see. This is the big fight people wanted to see. People wanted to see this fight more than me fighting any other guys,” St-Pierre said.

The other reason St-Pierre says he opted for Diaz was because of Johny Hendricks’ 2012 performance against Josh Koscheck at UFC on Fox 3. In that fight, Hendricks pulled out a close split decision victory, but St-Pierre believes the fight should have gone the other way.

The Canadian wasn’t as interested in facing Hendricks, who he believes lost to an opponent he’s already bested twice in the Octagon.

“My other option was Johny Hendricks and Johny Hendricks, when I watched the fight with Josh Koscheck, according to me Josh Koscheck should have won that fight, so I didn’t want to fight a guy that lost to a guy I beat,” said St-Pierre.

“I think for me Nick Diaz is the No. 1 contender. He’s proven himself many times before, and there is a story between us. It’s a big fight everybody wants to see. Nick wanted to have that fight for a long time. I wanted to have that fight for a long time. Now it’s time to do it.”

Not splitting hairs or anything, but it has to be noted that Nick Diaz’s last fight was a loss to Carlos Condit, the same opponent St-Pierre beat in the UFC. Even back in November when St-Pierre was facing Condit, he stated on numerous occasions that despite a close fight, he thought the former interim champion got the best of Diaz.

“Seeing it live, I give (Condit) the win for that fight. I believe he did very well. He hit Nick much more than Nick hit him and I believe he should have won. I loved that fight; I thought it was one of the greatest fight of the night,” St-Pierre said last year when preparing for Carlos Condit at UFC 154.

Add to that the fact that Diaz also has losses to Karo Parisyan and Sean Sherk, two opponents St-Pierre also beat (albeit several years ago), and his case doesn’t seem to hold as much water when regarding Hendricks.

Regardless, St-Pierre’s choice has been made and he’s going to face Nick Diaz next at UFC 158.

As for Johny Hendricks, who now squares off with Jake Ellenberger at the same card in Montreal this March, he will likely get the next shot at the champion assuming he comes away victorious. Like anything else in the UFC, it’s not a guarantee, but right now Hendricks is leading the pack of contenders.

“I would have to say the Johny Hendricks thing, if Johny Hendricks looks good and wins his fight, it will probably be Hendricks,” said UFC president Dana White. “But then again who knows, we’ll see what happens that night.”
http://www.mmaweekly.com/gsp-didnt-w...-josh-koscheck
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 3:30 pm

So you don't want to fight Hendricks because you think Kos really won their fight. But then you say you thought Carlos beat Nick in that fight? A fight that was actually scored that way. Makes no sense.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 3:41 pm

GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense 32014831
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
fragelay
White Belt
White Belt
fragelay

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, Jim Miller, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Stupid statements to make.

He should just come out and say he has unfinished business with Nick. Nothing more, nothing less. I think he got beat up a little more than he would've liked in his fight with Carlos, and is taking the easier fight at this point. Can't hurt to play a mind game with Hendricks either. Hendricks will go into their eventual bout with a chip on his shoulder, but generally pissed off fighters who take it into the cage make stupid mistakes.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 pm

what he said^^
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 pm

i don't think GSP is ducking Hendricks...

if he's ducking anyone it's Anderson

I just think he is being honest. This fight will sell more, there is unfinished business, and let's be honest, Nick called his ass out. As nice as they played at the press confrence you know how GSP feels about Nick. And vice versa. If Johny can get another win he'll get his title shot so i don't see why it's such a big deal. He's not the first deserving fighter to be slighted by the ufc in favor of a more marketable fight and he won't be the last.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

oggy420 wrote:

I just think he is being honest. This fight will sell more, there is unfinished business, and let's be honest, Nick called his ass out. As nice as they played at the press confrence you know how GSP feels about Nick. And vice versa. If Johny can get another win he'll get his title shot so i don't see why it's such a big deal. He's not the first deserving fighter to be slighted by the ufc in favor of a more marketable fight and he won't be the last.
What does being honest have to do with it? If he is being honest, he is a moron. He said he felt Johnny lost to Kos so he doesn't want to fight him. But he also says he felt Carlos beat Nick? So explain to me how that makes sense? I'm a huge Diaz fan myself. But that doesn't make GSP's failed logic any better.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 6:02 pm

GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense 1

GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense Tumblr_mdpn6l6BwC1qzwhb0o1_400
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 6:10 pm

im not really condoning GSP logic, im just saying that it is obvious GSP as well as the UFC felt GSP vs Diaz was the more marketable fight right now. If Hendricks wins at 158 he will get the next title shot.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 pm

So GSP's not ducking a legitimate contender in his own division, the truly deserving contender mind you, but he's ducking a guy who hasn't fought in his division since before he even won the belt? Lolwut?
Back to top Go down
fragelay
White Belt
White Belt
fragelay

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, Jim Miller, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Ludo wrote:
So GSP's not ducking a legitimate contender in his own division, the truly deserving contender mind you, but he's ducking a guy who hasn't fought in his division since before he even won the belt? Lolwut?

Marketing is one thing, but giving guys shots who have no business being there is bad for the sport. And it's about to happen in two of the six division.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:59 pm

oggy420 wrote:

im not really condoning GSP logic, im just saying that it is obvious GSP as well as the UFC felt GSP vs Diaz was the more marketable fight right now. If Hendricks wins at 158 he will get the next title shot.

I'll be honest, you won't find me so accepting this kind of business anytime soon unless Mark Hunt gets his shot against Cain ASAP or UFC starts paying me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

i scored it for Kos as well
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Ludo wrote:

ok play dumb

Everyone knows the ufc wanted to make the GSP vs Silva superfight after the Condit win. GSP isn't ready to do that yet because he wants to clear out the WW dividion before he moves up. That means that as long as Hendricks wins he gets his shot. Honestly im not the biggest GSP fan but im not gonna unjustly criticize him for ducking a fight. Yes, Hendricks is a deserving contender. But he's not the 1st nor the last fighter who has been deserving of a title shot who has been passed over for a more marketable fight. And Nick Diaz isn't exactly a bum who has no business fighting for the title. He was supposed to fight GSP before. It was a fight that obviously a lot of people are eager to see. Dana has already said as long as Hendricks wins he will get the shot. So yea, i feel kinda bad he has to wait for his shot, but in the meantime we get to watch a fight that has been a long time in the making. And Johny gets another shot to showcase his skills and make the GSP fight even more marketable.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 3:34 pm

oggy420 wrote:
Ludo wrote:

ok play dumb

Everyone knows the ufc wanted to make the GSP vs Silva superfight after the Condit win. GSP isn't ready to do that yet because he wants to clear out the WW dividion before he moves up. That means that as long as Hendricks wins he gets his shot. Honestly im not the biggest GSP fan but im not gonna unjustly criticize him for ducking a fight. Yes, Hendricks is a deserving contender. But he's not the 1st nor the last fighter who has been deserving of a title shot who has been passed over for a more marketable fight. And Nick Diaz isn't exactly a bum who has no business fighting for the title. He was supposed to fight GSP before. It was a fight that obviously a lot of people are eager to see. Dana has already said as long as Hendricks wins he will get the shot. So yea, i feel kinda bad he has to wait for his shot, but in the meantime we get to watch a fight that has been a long time in the making. And Johny gets another shot to showcase his skills and make the GSP fight even more marketable.

Ninck is a contender, yes. However how does it look that he gets rewarded after coming off a suspension from NSAC immediately following a loss on his record. Now mind you I don't think he lost the fight to Condit, but it is what it is. Now on the flip side we have Hendricks who's been on an absolute tear lately. Knocking out Jon Fitch, edging out Koscheck, and knocking out Kampmann who doesn't get a title shot while someone coming off a loss does instead?

The UFC has wanted GSP vs Silva since 2009. Welterweight is much deeper and talent rich division than middleweight is. If anyone is ducking someone, it's Anderson ducking Jon Jones since Anderson has no problem competing at 205. GSP has never competed at Middleweight.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:30 pm

+1 for ludo or as my phone calls you, ludicrous.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
+1 for ludo or as my phone calls you, ludicrous.

Stop being ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense   GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense Empty

Back to top Go down

GSP's reasoning for ducking Hendricks makes no sense
Page 1 of 1