Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium Empty
PostSubject: Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium   Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 7:41 pm

For unspecified reasons, Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, is out of the running to host the Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather super fight, Top Rank's Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

Arum, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who will co-promote the nearly finalized fight, and HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg were supposed to meet with Cowboys officials at the stadium on Wednesday for a tour of the facility and to talk with Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones about a site fee for the fight.

However, Arum said he received a call from Schaefer on Tuesday night cancelling the trip.

"Richard called me last night and said he won't go to Texas," Arum said. "And I told him to call Ross and tell him. And then I called Ross and said, 'You don't want me to go if he's not going. If Jerry Jones offers me money for the fight what is Pacquiao going to do? Go in the ring alone?' Schaefer just said, 'I'm not going to Texas. I'm not going to the do the fight in Texas. I'm not going to waste my time.' That's the explanation."

Arum said he asked why and Schaefer's response was, " 'The fight is March 13 and there isn't enough time to do a fight at an outdoor stadium.' It's bizarre, but that's what he said. I reminded him [that the stadium has a retractable roof]. He said it doesn't matter. I am not going to theorize. I'm just telling you what happened."

Arum, who turned 78 on Tuesday, was having a dinner party for his birthday at his Las Vegas home and was planning to leave at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday.

"I was planning to get up early and then the bombshell happened," Arum said. "Richard called and that's where we are. He may have a real good reason why he wouldn't consider Dallas. The reason he gave me, frankly, makes no sense. Maybe he has another reason that he didn't articulate it to me. But we had airline tickets booked and the three of us planned to rendezvous in Dallas and then go out to the stadium."

Jones is interested in bringing big events to his new stadium -- which could seat as many as 100,000 for a fight -- and landing Pacquiao-Mayweather was one he had in mind.

Greenburg, who was in his office in New York when reached Wednesday, had no comment. The fight will be televised on HBO PPV.

Scahefer wouldn't address the reasons he called off the trip to Texas, telling ESPN.com, "This is a fight our side wants and we are working very hard to finalize it. The next time you hear from us is when we have a signed deal or the negotiations have fallen apart. I want to get a deal done and once a deal is done then we will be available for comments. Until then, there is no comment from our side."

There has been interest from other venues, including the Superdome in New Orleans, although Las Vegas, specifically the MGM Grand, is believed to be the front-runner to host what many believe will be the richest fight in boxing history. The MGM, which has a close relationship with Golden Boy and Top Rank, has hosted several Pacquiao and Mayweather bouts, including their most recent fights -- Mayweather's shutout decision of Juan Manuel Marquez on Sept. 19 and Pacquiao's 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14.

The Miami Dolphins are also interested in hosting the fight at Land Shark Stadium, going so far as to send out e-mails to their season ticket holders to gauge their interest in buying tickets for the event.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4729058
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium   Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 1:59 pm

That sucks that would be a great venue for the fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium   Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 8:57 pm

The Staples Center bid $20 mill to land the fight but apparently Manny turned it down for tax reasons.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium   Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Dumb not to do it in Texas when jerry is willing the throw some huge cash around. There wouldn't be any taxes and that venue is better than any other one they could even think of doing.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium   Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 12:27 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
Dumb not to do it in Texas when jerry is willing the throw some huge cash around. There wouldn't be any taxes and that venue is better than any other one they could even think of doing.

+1 I totally agree with u that has too be the best venue by far and would have the most room for the biggest gate I would think.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium   Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 8:50 pm

WELL WERE STILL IN THE RUNNING WOO HOO!!!!!!!
Dallas Morning News quoted Arum as saying Dallas is still in the hunt AND L.A. DEFINENTLY WILL NOT GET THE FIGHT
Wow, looks like its between Vegas and Dallas, Jerry has offered 25 mill, and Mark Cuban is thinking about throwing some money down as well.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium   Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Vegas will get the fight due to all of the hype imo. Plus there is alot that comes with that fight in vegas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium   Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium Empty

Back to top Go down

Flod Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao Won't Be Coming To The Cowboys Stadium
Page 1 of 1