Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender

Go down 
+6
cheekynffc
killerofchicken
acccardinal12
Ludo
GDPofDRC
Farmer1906
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender Empty
PostSubject: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 11:34 am

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/11/11/3624442/michael-bisping-if-i-beat-vitor-belfort-no-question-no-1-contender-ufc-on-fx-7

Michael Bisping is months away from embarking on his sixth year in the UFC's middleweight division. In that time, he's headlined three events, blazed through two coaching stints on The Ultimate Fighter, and other than the division's twin titans -- Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen -- generally kept a higher profile than any of his contemporaries.

But through it all, the glaring omission from his mantle remains an ever-elusive UFC title shot. Sure, Bisping has been perennially close, just like he is now. But because of external forces and the current landscape of the division, the Brit remains on the outside looking in.

"Listen, would I like to fight for the title? Of course I would," Bisping flatly said on The MMA Hour. "But that opportunity hasn't been presented. By all accounts, I think Anderson Silva is probably going to be fighting GSP, if GSP beats Condit next. Yeah, a lot of people want me to fight for the title, but as I said that opportunity isn't there right now. I want to continue fighting. The more I fight, the better I get. The more time I spend in a training camp, the more I improve. I want to fight the best guys out there."

For Bisping, it would be easy to be frustrated by the current logjam in the division. Aside from himself, both Chris Weidman and Tim Boetsch have relatively strong claims to the label No. 1 contender. And yet, for all three men, a bout against Silva remains a pipe dream.

However, at 33 years old, Bisping is a realist, and he's been in this game long to understand the UFC is a business above all else.

"Anderson has had an amazing career. We all know that. And a big fight with GSP, a lot of people want to see it," he explained.

"So I can see the bigger picture. Of course it's frustrating. I'm not an idiot, I can see the reasons why they want to do that. Obviously the pay-per-views would be astronomical, I would assume. Anderson, GSP, the UFC are all going to make a lot of money. And so, listen, I'm not bothered, really, too much. I know I'll get my shot eventually. I keep doing what I'm doing, I keep training, I keep improving, I keep winning fights, then I will get what I deserve eventually."

Ultimately, that self-awareness is what led Bisping to accept a headlining spot opposite Vitor Belfort, targeted for early 2013 in Belfort's home country of Brazil. According to the Brit, he instantly said yes to the fight, because why wouldn't he? This is how he makes his living, and sitting out until at least May waiting for the winner of Weidman vs. Boetsch never even crossed his mind.

"In my opinion, the hardest fight in the 185 [pound] division, other than Anderson Silva, is Vitor Belfort," Bisping said.

"He's a southpaw. I think that's one of the main things that complicates things because it changes up the striking. He's very good at jiu-jitsu, but that doesn't concern me. I don't think he's going to be looking to take me down and submit me. I think the main thing I've got to watch out for is punches to the back of the head. Got to watch out for those rabbit punches, because he does like to punch people in the back of the head."

Among others, Bisping plans to tap the services of Bellator contender Alexander Shlemenko to help prepare him for the bout.

He makes a habit of repeating his mantra about fighting "whoever they want ... anyone, anytime, anyplace." And after fighting Chael Sonnen on eight days notice and then accepting such a dangerous fight against Belfort when he could've waited, it's hard to argue with the man.

But ask him, and Bisping remains confident in his decision.

"If I beat Vitor Belfort, I think there's no question that I'm the No. 1 contender," Bisping asserted. "And I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. I think I deserve it. If I beat Vitor, I deserve it. If I don't beat him, then I don't deserve to be in a title fight anyway."

It's because of this old-school ‘anywhere, anytime' attitude, plus his open mockery of TRT, that "The Count" has begun to notice a shift in public perception than can only properly be described as a minor miracle. Bisping, long one of the most hated men in the sport, still hears his fair share of boos, however these days they're not quite as overpowering as they used to be.

"I like to play with it and say I'm hated everywhere I go, but to be honest, that isn't the case," Bisping said with grin. "I think you get a lot of people together, and there's a pantomime effect, the ol' boo or whatever. But generally, for the most part my interactions with the UFC fans, they're always positive.

"Certainly on Twitter, everyday I almost get 20 messages with people saying, ‘You know, I used to absolutely hate your guts, and now you're one of my favorite fighters.' So that's nice. Obviously it's always nice to be appreciated. But it's not necessarily anything I've consciously done or changed. I think maybe, just over time, people are warming a little. Who knows?"
Back to top Go down

Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 11:35 am

I tend to agree. If he beats Vitor he deserves the title shot.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 11:35 am

I'm ok with that. I still think Weidman deserves a shot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
I'm ok with that. I still think Weidman deserves a shot.

He does but I think beating Vitor is more impressive than beating Munoz.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 2:03 pm

I think Weidman will get his chance. If Bisping wins, he is far and away the most deserving. If I had to pick one MW right now, I'd probably let Michael be the guy anyways at this point.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Gotta agree with him. After his most recent run now if he takes it against Vitor he deserves the shot over Weidman. He looked good against Chael, and has dominated everyone else since Wanderlei in February of 2010.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Weidman would beat Bisping up. I think we see the winner of both fights face off for the MWtitle after spider has his super fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Cup of tea, biscuits, curry, fish and chips and football.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Andy doesn't want to fight until the end of 2013. Bisping says make him v Vitor for an interim title. Little bitch doesn't even want areal belt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 10:50 pm

I am surprised they didn't make Bisping vs. Weidman for an interim title since Silva will be facing GSP next.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:44 pm

That's GSP's belt.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 4:59 am

if he was to beat Vitot there is no denying him a tittle shot
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 9:01 am

still not quite sure what weidman has done to be consensus number one contender.

one impressive win v munoz and a questionable decision against maia would never cut the mustard for anyone who doesn't go around calling themself 'the all american'.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Anderson is not facing GSP. The fight is not happening. Anderson is choosing to seat out until the the end of 2013.

If Bisping beats Vitor and Weidman beats Boetch than they should fight for an interim
belt. Or if the UFC is big on unifying the Strikeforce titles have Rockhold face Bisping and let Weidman face Talent for the next next shot.

Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm

cheekynffc wrote:
still not quite sure what weidman has done to be consensus number one contender.

one impressive win v munoz and a questionable decision against maia would never cut the mustard for anyone who doesn't go around calling themself 'the all american'.
Weidman fought Maia on a weeks notice.

Munoz was in the top 5 when Weidman beat him. Stann was only in the top 10 when Bisping beat him.
Plus people like to forget the Bisping is on a whopping 1 fight winning streak and Stann is the only semi elite fighter he beat in his career...
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Ninja wrote:
cheekynffc wrote:

Weidman fought Maia on a weeks notice.

Munoz was in the top 5 when Weidman beat him. Stann was only in the top 10 when Bisping beat him.
Plus people like to forget the Bisping is on a whopping 1 fight winning streak and Stann is the only semi elite fighter he beat in his career...

to be honest, i think stann was only considered top 10 because of his back story.

still, weidman has only done enough to ignite a debate. he's done nothing to make him consensus number 1 contender across the board. munoz hadn't done anything in his career to mark him out as a cut above the opponents bisping has fought in the past either.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Ninja wrote:
Anderson is not facing GSP. The fight is not happening. Anderson is choosing to seat out until the the end of 2013.

If Bisping beats Vitor and Weidman beats Boetch than they should fight for an interim
belt. Or if the UFC is big on unifying the Strikeforce titles have Rockhold face Bisping and let Weidman face Talent for the next next shot.

If Anderson wants to sit out for a year, I have no problem with it, but I make the business move now to move the division along.

Belfort vs Bisping and Weidman vs Boestch winners fight for the belt, not the interim, but the belt, with Rockhold being an alternate for any contest.

Don't call it a tournament because MMA fans like tourneys, but play it out that way.

Silva can take all the time off he wants, he has earned it, he can afford it financially, there is no requirement to fight. But the belt should move on.

If he wants to fight again, he can wait until the MW champ is crowned then challenge him or he can supa fight whoever will fight him. Or if he gets that itch early, he can fight Rockhold if he isn't filling in for one of the mentioned fights, but if he wants to be out, he needs to be out of the MW title picture until a new champion is crowned.

Last edited by GDPofDRC on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 3:43 pm

makes sense.

if silva is taking a voluntary sabbatical he ought to vacate the belt.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 4:30 pm

bisping will fold just like he did in the hendo match.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:01 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Ninja wrote:

If Anderson wants to sit out for a year, I have no problem with it, but I make the business move now to move the division along.

Belfort vs Bisping and Weidman vs Boestch winners fight for the belt, not the interim, but the belt, with Rockhold being an alternate for any contest.

Don't call it a tournament because MMA fans like tourneys, but play it out that way.

Silva can take all the time off he wants, he has earned it, he can afford it financially, there is no requirement to fight. But the belt should move on.

If he wants to fight again, he can wait until the MW champ is crowned then challenge him or he can supa fight whoever will fight him. Or if he gets that itch early, he can fight Rockhold if he isn't filling in for one of the mentioned fights, but if he wants to be out, he needs to be out of the MW title picture until a new champion is crowned.

I absolutely agree with your idea, but realistically it's not going to happen.

Anderson already put out the idea that the UFC should make an interim belt, so I don't think he is willingly to be stripped.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:06 pm

I agree, which would give Anderson incentive not to take 12 months off in my opinion, if Zuffa had those kinds of cojones to mandate such an ultimatum.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:51 pm

I hate to even hear this boetch talk.........yeah he won his last 4 but okami owned him until he pulled of the epic upset and his match with lombard was a fluke cause lomabard never mentaly showed up for that one. Is what it is and he is where he is I guess. Dude has heart no doubt and led in both hands
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Silva isn't taking a sabbatical that's bs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 7:11 pm

It's just typical Silva being difficult and posturing for more money, remember all the bs about not wanting the Sonnen rematch from his team ? and the retirement talk awhile back ? As long as GSP beats Condit and comes out healthy Dana will find a way to make it happen, Zuffa want that Cowboys Stadium fight bad.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender   Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender Empty

Back to top Go down

Michael Bisping: If I beat Vitor Belfort, there’s no question I’m the No. 1 contender
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next