Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April

Go down 
+2
bobbitt15
Primetyme199
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April Empty
PostSubject: White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April   White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:33 am

RIO DE JANEIRO – Not that either will be looking past the other, but at least Junior Dos Santos and Cain Velasquez can be reasonably sure of their potential next assignment if they win in December.

The winner between heavyweight champion Dos Santos (15-1 MMA, 9-0 UFC) and Velasquez (10-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) will face former No. 1 contender Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC), perhaps as early as March or April.

UFC President Dana White laid out the still very loose plan early Sunday following the post-event news conference for UFC 153, which took place in Rio de Janeiro.

"The winner of that fight will fight Overeem (in March or April)," White said.

Dos Santos and former champ Velasquez meet in the main event of UFC 155, which takes place Dec. 29 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Dos Santos was scheduled to face Overeem this past May, but Overeem tested for elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone levels and was essentially suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for nine months. At UFC 146, Dos Santos defended his title against Frank Mir, while Velasquez beat Antonio Silva to become the top contender with Overeem unavailable at least until the end of 2012.

In August, White said at a recent meeting with Dos Santos, the champ told him he would prefer to face Overeem instead of Velasquez.

"He's the nicest guy in the world," White said of Dos Santos. "But he said, 'I have nothing but respect for Cain Velasquez. I like him as a person and as a fighter, and I think he deserves the shot at the title. But I do not want to fight him,' which is not what he said a month ago.

"He said, 'Alistair Overeem is a punk. He's got a big mouth, and he's been saying lots of bad things about me, and I want to knock him out. I want to knock him out now.'"

Overeem is eligible to reapply for a license with the NSAC starting Dec. 27. There is virtually no shot of Overeem getting licensed to fight on the Dec. 29 show.

Dos Santos this past November knocked out Velasquez to win the title at UFC on FOX 1.

In July, Overeem told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Dos Santos was afraid to fight him .

"He can talk all he wants," Overeem said. "I know he's very happy that fight didn't happen, and I know he's afraid to fight me. He also knows that I'm the biggest threat out there to him. He knows when he fights me, there's no escape from it.

"He's going to hit and run, or he's going to go down. Either way, he's going to leave that octagon a loser."

That talked riled up Dos Santos, and White said he was at least considered his champion's request to fight Overeem and not Velasquez. But the original plan that was hatched after UFC 146 will remain intact.
Back to top Go down

White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April Empty
PostSubject: Re: White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April   White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Makes sense now that DC is going to be competing in Jan.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April   White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Followed by Cormier most likely...holy high level HW MMA
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April   White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 am

note to all fighters "you can cheat and still come back after your suspension and fight for a world title" Fucking Great!
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April   White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:16 am

SOKO wrote:
note to all fighters "you can cheat and still come back after your suspension and fight for a world title" Fucking Great!

agreed at minimum he should have to face cormier!
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April   White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:54 am

You guys are just to harsh on poor Overeem. It's not his fault that his horse meat was tainted with steroids. The rancher never told him he injected the horses with steroids. He was just a misled consumer that fell victim to a fraudulent business owner. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April   White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 am

Cu Bu wrote:
SOKO wrote:

agreed at minimum he should have to face cormier!
He should have to do something to re-earn the shot he apparently didn't lose after attempting to cheat leading up to his fight with JDS.
Back to top Go down
bronzehole
White Belt
White Belt
bronzehole

PostSubject: Re: White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April   White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:13 am

i agree with you guys, completely undeserving. Still an intriguing matchup though and with the list of hw contenders being short i see why he won't be fighting cormier any time soon. Look forward to jds caving his face in

Last edited by bronzehole on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April   White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:14 am

Primetyme199 wrote:
You guys are just to harsh on poor Overeem. It's not his fault that his horse meat was tainted with steroids. The rancher never told him he injected the horses with steroids. He was just a misled consumer that fell victim to a fraudulent business owner. Very Happy

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April   White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April Empty

Back to top Go down

White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April
Page 1 of 1