Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled

Go down 
+2
OU
KingsOwn19
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled Empty
PostSubject: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:14 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:16 am

MERGER !
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am

Is is possible he is ready to go for Nov. 3rd in OKC?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 9:44 am

I guess Healy is trying to fight Thompson for Interim title in November. I wouldn't mind.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 9:55 am

That sucks.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 1:02 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/9/24/3382840/strikeforce-cancellation-should-force-zuffa-to-rethink-strategy-but

Quote :

They're holding down fighters like Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, who hasn't fought more than twice a year in four years despite not being injured. Fighters like Tyron Woodley, who hasn't fought more than twice a year in three years despite not being injured. Fighters like Gilbert Melendez, who was about to have only his fifth fight in the last three years - once again, despite not being injured (until now).

We're talking about a pair of consensus top-20 fighters and the number two ranked lightweight in the world not fighting simply because the promotion they're signed to isn't holding events.

They're clearly dying. Either end it, or reinvent it, but the way they're going now is a joke that's hurting the careers and livelihoods of the athletes in this sport.

That pretty much sums it up right there. They are holding fighters hostage at this point.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 1:51 pm

And not a mention of Gegard, their best fighter besides DC IMO. Fucking sux
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 1:52 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
And not a mention of Gegard, their best fighter besides DC IMO. Fucking sux
What sucks about Mousasi is he was on the sideline waiting for a fight but SF had nothing for him. But then he hurt his ACL so he is out for a little while.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 2:24 pm

It's a waste of top ten and P4P talent, they shouldn have merged from the start.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:01 pm

Anyone know the injury? I'm hoping I get Healy vs someone in OKC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Quote :
I heard Greg Jackson advised Showtime and told them it would be the worst mistake of their career if they televised this card without Melendez on it.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Ali wrote:
Quote :
I heard Greg Jackson advised Showtime and told them it would be the worst mistake of their career if they televised this card without Melendez on it.
Nice try.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Has Dana tweeted about this yet ? at least he can't blame Ken Hershman this time.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Ali wrote:
Has Dana tweeted about this yet ? at least he can't blame Ken Hershman this time.
I think he has pretty much wiped his hands of SF.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:40 pm

OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
I think he has pretty much wiped his hands of SF.

I want a rant dammit !!!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 4:03 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/9/24/3383362/strikeforce-josh-thomson-interview-fighter-purse-cancellation-gilbert-melendez

Quote :
I was just sitting there watching some TV, when I got the call. It was around 10 o'clock, and I got a call from my manager saying the show was going to be canceled. There's not much you can do about it. When I talked to my manage, I told him, 'Throw out every option.

As someone who knows about being injured, I realize that's part of the sport, but I think canceling the event was extreme. When I was injured, they offered Gil an interim title. I know I've only been training for three rounds, but I'll step up and fight Pat Healy for five rounds. He deserves his title shot. He shouldn't be put on the back burner. He put in his camp time, and everything like that, too. I've trained with Healy. I've fought him. He's a great guy, and my heart goes out to him. He's trained hard for 8-10 weeks.

A lot of these guys haven't been around as long as me. They're working their way up. This is an opportunity for them to put food on the table for their families.To cancel the event, it just sucks. I offered them everything I could. I offered a three round fight, if they didn't want to do an interim title, and I offered to step up for a five round fight. I just wanted to whatever I could to possibly keep the card alive, but Showtime had already made their decision.

I know Jorge Masvidal has been in a full training camp, just in case somebody from the card got injured. There were options here. They could have moved me up and set Masvidal against Caros Fodor. Dana White was just talking about this. He said if you're going to be on a professional level and getting paid, you need to be training all the time. Masvidal made it very clear that he was ready. Him and Fodor would have made a great fight. It would have been very impressive. Given that I've beaten Healy in the past, it also adds a little bit of history to it. It's a tough pill to swallow for all the fighters on the card.

When it comes down to fight purses, this is every fighter's nightmare, even if it's the UFC, which typically pays out show money purses in the event of a fight cancellation. With smaller organizations, and even the Zuffa owned Strikeforce, the options aren't set in stone, and as of now, no offer has been made for financial compensation.

Quote :
Nothing has been offered. Like I said, it was 10 o' clock at night. My manger was still getting all the full details of the situation. My job is to go to the gym and train. I let my manager take care of everything else. I don't really know what the deal is. Hopefully we find out more today.

For the other fighters that don't make what I make, it would be nice to see them compensated something to help them pay their bills or get through this. I know that once a fighter gets closer to the fight, towards the end of the camp, and I catch myself doing it all the time, the week before the fight, you go out and buy something. A piece of furniture, maybe you fix your car. For most fighters I know, they buy a bunch of groceries. I used to that all the time, but now, I've gotten to where I wait to spend anything until the fight happens [laughs]. The fact that the event was canceled after the last Friday leading in to it, means that every fighter pretty much shut their camp down. Right now, we're just trying to get all the details so we can go from there.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 11:23 am

Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled Melendez_shoulder
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/9/24/3385798/pic-gilbert-melendez-separated-shoulder-that-led-to-upcoming
Pic: Gilbert Melendez separated shoulder that led to upcoming cancelation of Strikeforce on Showtime.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:11 pm

sucks that it is showtime who makes the call. As if they have some great programming that will fill the void.

Is this the first SF show ever cancelled?

One wonders if the recent UFC cancellation made it easier for showtime to do the same here.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Zuffa says they will pay the fighters their purses despite the card not taking place.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 11:21 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Zuffa says they will pay the fighters their purses despite the card not taking place.

Thats cool of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled   Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled Empty

Back to top Go down

Melendez injured. September 29th SF card cancelled
Page 1 of 1