Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does Scarcity Drive Demand?

Go down 
4 posters

Is there too much MMA right now?
Too much
Does Scarcity Drive Demand? Vote_lcap0%Does Scarcity Drive Demand? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Not enough
Does Scarcity Drive Demand? Vote_lcap40%Does Scarcity Drive Demand? Vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
Just right
Does Scarcity Drive Demand? Vote_lcap60%Does Scarcity Drive Demand? Vote_rcap
 60% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Does Scarcity Drive Demand? Empty
PostSubject: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 12:13 am

Here is the question.

Do you think there too much MMA right now? Does the high frequency of deep cards dilute the product? Does the level of scarcity drive demand up and down and which is the direction you want to see MMA go? More scarcity at great demand or higher frequency with less demand? But ultimately, however you wanna answer it, do you think there too much MMA right now?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 12:20 am

I don't think there is too much. Clearly the growth of the UFC's Roster has made an increase in shows per year a necessity. But even if UFC151 had happened we'd still be in the midst of a 21 day drought without any major org MMA until the 22nd of this month. Personally I look forward to the day that we essentially have at least one major MMA card per week. I do think perhaps there are too many PPV cards right now, but until this thing with Fox kicks into high gear with all cylinders that's going to be the business model.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:45 am

There should be 1 UFC PPV on the first Saturday of every month. No more than 12 a year. The free cards make up the rest of the viewing. I also wouldn't mind a 1 hour show every week with up and comers fighting.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:11 am

I'm fucking dying for a UFC card right now, I know that much

I don't think there is too much. They have a lot of fighters now, and have a lot of shows to put on. I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who is going to find a way to see every fight they put on though, which doesn't apply to a large % of the fanbase
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:21 am

I would love for both Bellator and Strikeforce to put on more shows. I don't like some of these weaker UFC PPVs that they have sprinkled around. I think they could do a better job putting quality card together. They have enough talent they are just getting lazy at times with some of these cards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
I'm fucking dying for a UFC card right now, I know that much

I don't think there is too much. They have a lot of fighters now, and have a lot of shows to put on. I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who is going to find a way to see every fight they put on though, which doesn't apply to a large % of the fanbase

+1
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:32 am

Blame Bones that you had to wait.

Too bad he doesn't have the heart of a GOAT, like THE GOAT.
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/9/10/3313300/chuck-liddell-vs-chael-sonnen-iceman-ufc-151-jon-jones-dana-white-mma
Quote :
"I would have taken the fight, but I don't make his decisions or run his career for him. [Lyoto Machida's decision,] that's a different thing. Machida would have got a title fight he was in line for, whereas Chael was taking a title fight he wasn't in line for. If Lyoto was not in shape, I guess I understand. He was beat by Jones last time and he would have wanted time to prepare. It is different from a peak Jones turning down a fight."
Iceman 4 Eva!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Does Scarcity Drive Demand? A2fZi86CMAAgUYZ
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm at just the right amount, but if it was a choice between too much and too little I would pick too much. I think the tradeoff between availability and demand is approaching a tipping point. Less and less people will watch individual shows while cumulatively there will be a few more views in total, the rate will become adverse if the market is continues to over-saturate further.

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 1:39 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
I'm at just the right amount, but if it was a choice between too much and too little I would pick too much. I think the tradeoff between availability and demand is approaching a tipping point. Less and less people will watch individual shows while cumulatively there will be a few more views in total, the rate will become adverse if the market is continues to over-saturate further.

Too much MMA or too much Zuffa? I don't think there is too much of either. Zuffa can still have the same number of cards but they need to use their talent better. Some of these cards could be better, even with the injuries. Some of these cards are so pathetic it's like they didn't even try. I think Zuffa got a little too cocky. I think they assumed the brand alone would carry more viewers then it actually does. They still need to get quality fights on the cards. They have the resources to do it, they just aren't managing it correctly IMO.
Strikeforce has been rapped of it's talent so I guess I can understand why there are so few cards. It's really sad at this point. I loved SF, but they need to just kill it at this point. Instead of leaving that starving organization to live off crumbs. Zuffa fucked SF all up.
Bellator needs to fight it's Champions more often, period. I think Bellator is learning a tough lesson right now with their Champions forced to take fights outside of Bellator. Fight your fighters more often and that won't be an issue.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 2:04 pm

It's like, do I wanna think good things a bunch of times or great things less times. There is a balance, I don't think MMA is any where near being something that could balance weekly interest. A few times a month, Yeah, but even that will take time to work really work like I don't think it does now. Right now it's just a ton of good fights, a bunch of good but a disappearing great. It what helps the draw of other entertainment. You get 24 weeks of foot ball a year and crave it the rest. You get 14 weeks of Breaking Bad a year then go crazy waiting for more. If other entertainment was to attempt to deliver every week of the year, it would be at the cost of overall quality and value, two things that have become diminished lately on the big stage.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 2:12 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
It's like, do I wanna think good things a bunch of times or great things less times. There is a balance, I don't think MMA is any where near being something that could balance weekly interest. A few times a month, Yeah, but even that will take time to work really work like I don't think it does now. Right now it's just a ton of good fights, a bunch of good but a disappearing great. It what helps the draw of other entertainment. You get 24 weeks of foot ball a year and crave it the rest. You get 14 weeks of Breaking Bad a year then go crazy waiting for more. If other entertainment was to attempt to deliver every week of the year, it would be at the cost of overall quality and value, two things that have become diminished lately on the big stage.
We still have talented fighters that are under contract and not getting fights. We have high profile fighters sitting on their ass waiting for phone calls. There is plenty of talent out there, it's just not being used correctly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Far too many PPV's.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Ali wrote:
Far too many PPV's.

You get them all for free anyway you blathering twit!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:12 am

Ludo wrote:
Ali wrote:
Far too many PPV's.

I know but even I can see that being a UFC fan in America is an expensive hobby.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:13 am

Ali wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Ali wrote:
Far too many PPV's.

I know but even I can see that being a UFC fan in America is an expensive hobby.
Totally worth it. I got my shit together. Give me as many as possible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:16 am

OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Ali wrote:
Far too many PPV's.

That's fine and dandy for guys/gals who can afford it but what about the average working chaps ? There shouldn't be this many PPV's when Zuffa just signed a lucrative deal with Fox IMO.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:28 am

Ali wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Ali wrote:
Far too many PPV's.

That's fine and dandy for guys/gals who can afford it but what about the average working chaps ? There shouldn't be this many PPV's when Zuffa just signed a lucrative deal with Fox IMO.
What do you think I am?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:29 am

OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Ali wrote:
Far too many PPV's.

What do you think I am?

An opulent prince who bathes in Mountain Dew daily.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:35 am

Ali wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Ali wrote:
Far too many PPV's.

What do you think I am?

I suffer thought this mind numbing job just like everyone else. But I don't have any kids or dumb bitches sucking up all my money lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:39 am

OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Ali wrote:
Far too many PPV's.

What do you think I am?

I suffer thought this mind numbing job just like everyone else. But I don't have any kids or dumb bitches sucking up all my money lol

And you also make money on the side with gigolo work Wink
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:47 am

Ali wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Ali wrote:
Far too many PPV's.

What do you think I am?

And you also make money on the side with gigolo work Wink
It's not my fault so many people want to see it and/or touch it. It's just the burden I have to bare.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Scarcity Drive Demand?   Does Scarcity Drive Demand? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Scarcity Drive Demand?
Page 1 of 1