Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut

Go down 
+3
timthebim
bobbitt15
Primetyme199
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut Empty
PostSubject: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Demetrious Johnson, the talented bantamweight that now has the opportunity to be the first flyweight champion in the UFC, has signed a landmark bout agreement with ZUFFA for a ‘sudden death’ round for his fight with Ian McCall at UFC on FX 2. The agreement stipulates that if, after 3 rounds, the judges are undecided on a winner, the fight will go to a 4th round, also called “suuden death.” In a recent interview with TapouT Radio, Mighty Mouse detailed the particulars.

“I don’t know if anybody has said anything about it, and this is the first time I’m mentioning it, is that we (McCall and himself) had to sign for a ‘sudden death’ bout. If it goes to three rounds, and the judges can’t decide who the winner is, then we’ll do a fourth round.”

When asked if this new agreement was specific to his fight, or if it was universal for the entire card, Johnson had this to say,

“I’m assuming that it’s for me and Ian McCall. I can’t say if it’s going to be for Joseph (Benavides) and Yasuhiro (Urushitani), because I’m not gonna say that the UFC made those guys sign, too. I’m telling you, specifically, that I signed a contract for an extra round on the bout agreement. I’m not gonna say that they did. I’m assuming, in my unprofessional opinion, that they did as well.”

Whether this addendum is designed for the introduction of the flyweight division and accompanying tourney, or if it’s something the UFC is instituting for overseas and domestic cards in general, the concept is a good one. For all those times we, as fans, have said ‘One more round!’, this could be the game changer. Hopefully, we get some clarity on the permanence, or lack thereof, for this new twist.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:38 pm

I'd imagine its just for the tournament. I'm not a fan of this for other circumstances
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:33 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
I'd imagine its just for the tournament. I'm not a fan of this for other circumstances

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:04 am

Yeah this kind of thing has no place in other kinds of fights. But in a situation where you MUST have a winner barring a freak occurrence that forces a no contest due to accidental headbutt or something, I'll allow it.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:11 am

I donno, this should be standard issue in the event of any three round draw imo. What does a fourth round hurt? HW slop fests are seldom scored draws anyway so it isn't like this will mean a lot of shitty MMA or anything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:28 am

Uncle Creepy gonna tax dat ass. I hope my T-Shirt arrives in time.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:20 pm

I could get behind this for all fights. I like my idea better though. gotta find it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:25 pm

That ain't happening.

My old idea on time and rounds.

Championship only are 5, 5 minute rounds like they are now. If it's a draw after 5, 5 more minutes with only 2 point deductions for infractions in the final round.

All other fights including main events are 4, 4 minutes rounds with a fifth round if necessary with again 2 point deductions for infractions.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:33 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
That ain't happening.

My old idea on time and rounds.

Championship only are 5, 5 minute rounds like they are now. If it's a draw after 5, 5 more minutes with only 2 point deductions for infractions in the final round.

All other fights including main events are 4, 4 minutes rounds with a fifth round if necessary with again 2 point deductions for infractions.

This sounds like a crazy goofball freakzilla reform
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Why? It creates a system where there are no possibilities for a draw ever occurring while making under card fights more exciting.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:39 pm

Four minute rounds suck, would increase lay and pray as three minute rounds tend to do, my biggest issue, also it would mean less fights per card or at least longer events, less televised fights. More injuries training for potentially longer fights, as five rounders would be pretty common considering how likely 2-2 would be. just some downsides I see.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 pm

So you think that rounds longer in length would incite more activity as compared to a round whose time has been compressed. I disagree. Also, how is going from training for a 16 minute fight with three breaks(20 with four breaks if it is a stalemate after 16) some huge leap that is gonna hurt a bunch of fighters compared to a 15 minute fight with two breaks? And what percentage of cards have ever not been complete no matter how many decisions there were, I can think of one in the UFC where the main event was not the final match of the night, also, less bs fluffer videos and more in cage action is the tradeoff of that.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:49 pm

The UFC also would be hampered by that as the need for more advertising space for free cards would be compressed. 4 and 3 minute rounds lead to more heavy takedown games typically, and I think a lot of fights would become 20 minute fights. and that is a lot of extra fighting. No upside, as there are only a small number of draws every year, a handfull.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
The UFC also would be hampered by that as the need for more advertising space for free cards would be compressed. 4 and 3 minute rounds lead to more heavy takedown games typically, and I think a lot of fights would become 20 minute fights. and that is a lot of extra fighting. No upside, as there are only a small number of draws every year, a handfull.

Advertisement problems? Come on man. Advertising problems, tell my why you need more ads? How about the latest Ritz commercial read by Goldie in that round 3 break? Why do you think that rounds longer in length would incite more activity as compared to a round whose time has been compressed, why would one less minute create a more takedown heavy approach? A lot of times before the horn sounds guys pick it up and try to do something to get a finish before letting their opponent bet to the break, one more chance for that to happen. And I guess I missing something about why you want less actual fight on your cards? This wouldn't mean every decision would be 4 round draw in need of a 5th you know, maybe on or two a card, or if there are some really good fights even more.

Last edited by GDPofDRC on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:05 pm

The UFC cant sustain with PPV, needs to move to a traditional sports model. Though I hate free cards for that reason.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:07 pm

The traditional sports model typically gives each side one last chance to finish if it's a tie at the end of the contest before declaring a draw.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Just keep it the way it is and add your four minute round in the advent of a draw.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut   Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut Empty

Back to top Go down

Johnson vs. McCall to feature UFC Sudden Death debut
Page 1 of 1