Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss

Go down 
+9
Ludo
killerofchicken
GDPofDRC
acccardinal12
Farmer1906
Cu Bu
josh200612
timthebim
Wolfgangsta
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss Empty
PostSubject: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:21 am

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26982/anthony-johnson-released-from-ufc.mma

Anthony Johnson's third weighcutting mistake will be his last in the UFC, at least for now.

Following Saturday night's UFC 142 event at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, UFC president Dana White terminated Johnson's contract.

"This is his third time," White said of Johnson's failure to make weight for the third time in his octagon career. "Three strikes and you're gone."

Johnson (10-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC), of course, missed weight for his co-feature fight with Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC). The UFC president said Johnson came within a pound-and-a-half of the 186-pound limit allowed for non-title middleweight fights but was forced by a doctor to rehydrate because the former welterweight contender "couldn't make it."

"That was one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen," White said. "The guy was at 170 pounds. He moved up to 185 pounds so this wouldn't happen anymore, and this is the worst weightcutting disaster he's ever had. He almost ruined the co-main event here in Brazil. I don't know what else to say about that one. I'm not happy about it."

On Friday, White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Johnson's job would be on the line, regardless of the result of his fight. While his words made it seem as if Johnson could potentially keep his spot in the promotion, the UFC boss said his decision was already made.

"I knew what the decision was when I talked to you on Friday," White told MMAjunkie.com. "This is his third time. Listen, the guy was having problems making 170 pounds. He wanted to stay at 170 or whatever his deal was. You go to 185, and you blow it as bad as he blew it? That's bad, man."

Johnson previously missed weight in welterweight contests with Yoshiyuki Yoshida and Rich Clementi. With this weekend's infraction, in which Johnson ultimately weighed 197 pounds for a 185-pound fight, White said he simply couldn't allow the fighter's actions to go unchecked.

That said, White said he's not forever ruling out the potential for Johnson to return to the promotion at some point.

"I don't dislike the guy," White. "I like him very much actually. When you talk to Anthony Johnson, he's a good guy.

"I don't know who you blame in this one. Do you blame him? Do you blame his team? Do you blame his camp? I mean who takes the blame in this one? Ultimately, you're a grown man. You're responsible for your own actions."
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:27 am

Yawn. He is an explosive n athletic gas in 6 minutes non contender anyway. Aj vs Fedor MAKE IT HAPPEN
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:28 am

No surprise here at all.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:29 am

Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:35 am

Yeah the whole board basically called it.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:48 am

The writing was on the wall with AJ. 11 pounds over is an absolute joke.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:00 pm

on top of it your already in deep deep water with no life jacket and you tap to a choke?? At that point I would think you fight it untill you take a nap
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Giving him shit for tapping is silly...
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:47 pm

I think he'll be back. He's a bigger Daley with better wrestling.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Hes not very similiar to Daley.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

By similar he meant black Wolf.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:13 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

By similar he meant black Wolf.

Explosive striking and having trouble making weight. Both got kicked out of the UFC. He'll likely land on his feet and return to Zuffa like Daley did.

Of course Rumble has his plus wrestling in his arsenal. I didn't say they were identical.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:24 pm

He is also similar in that he really has showed little humbleness in wake of his career deficient actions. Post fight he said he wanted a rematch, and went on again to say "I have no excuses" right before telling again how he made sure to explain that he told Dana his dehydration was a medical condition. C'mon. All his smiling like nothing was wrong, and the "I'd do nothing different" shit. Goodbye, see you when or if you grow up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Black, horribly overrated striking by knocking out nobodies, gas out easily, cant make weight or defend subs...ok you know what, ill buy that.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Black, horribly overrated striking by knocking out nobodies, gas out easily, cant make weight or defend subs...ok you know what, ill buy that.

All true too.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 2:14 pm

have fun in SF fat ass
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:07 pm

AJ vs Ron Sparks. Book it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:37 pm

This is an outrage, If I was Anthony I'd take this to the Supreme court.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 5:34 pm

im shocked

Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:11 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:

its about effort wolf, He should have been trying to win untill he lost. If its an arm or leg wrapped up tap tap tap. I know vitor softened him up with punches but I honestly think there is a decision to tap most of the time and that is throwing in the towel instead of competing.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:19 am

Missed weight by 11 pounds?? Holy shit did he even try to make weight?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 am

MMAEYES wrote:
Missed weight by 11 pounds?? Holy shit did he even try to make weight?

haha, where were you?!1

he had a medical condition... dehydration lol
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:39 am

Yeah I only got to see the prelims and missed the beginning of them. I failed lol
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:12 am

Cu Bu wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

its about effort wolf, He should have been trying to win untill he lost. If its an arm or leg wrapped up tap tap tap. I know vitor softened him up with punches but I honestly think there is a decision to tap most of the time and that is throwing in the towel instead of competing.

whilst i've never been choked out myself, i would assume allowing yourself to be choked unconscious carries some risk of death if the ref doesn't spot it quickly enough.

if there's no way out and you're about to go to sleep, not tapping crosses the line between bravery and foolishness imo.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 2:58 pm

cheekynffc wrote:
Cu Bu wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

whilst i've never been choked out myself, i would assume allowing yourself to be choked unconscious carries some risk of death if the ref doesn't spot it quickly enough.

if there's no way out and you're about to go to sleep, not tapping crosses the line between bravery and foolishness imo.

Yes and no. It takes about three minutes for the brain to shut down from lack of blood and real damage to be done. You can also survive(just not consciously) without oxygen for up to seven minutes. Since the rear naked choke is a choke and not a strangle the risk of having your windpipe damaged is significantly reduced because the pressure is applied to the carotid artery on each side of the neck as opposed to the throat in the front of the neck. The difference is it's not as difficult to breathe, nor is it nearly as painful as a strangle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss   UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next