Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...

Go down 
+16
Farmer1906
captain organic
SOKO
josh200612
LA
chorky777
timthebim
killerofchicken
Ludo
OU
bobbitt15
Andrew the Raider King
Wolfgangsta
corydd7
Birdofthad
GDPofDRC
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the name Silva, Chris Leben, Nick Diaz, Don Frye

MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 7:49 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AhlWxLq4qj6a.8Ar.rf59O89Eo14?slug=dd-mmaranks012010
Who ever made those rankings must have looked at ours first Wink no love for Gray thats about the only thing different. Interesting that Melendez would have been #13....
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Ours looks good. No better or worse than what all of those 20 writers who get paid a pretty penny to do that stuff for a living were able to compile.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the name Silva, Chris Leben, Nick Diaz, Don Frye

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Some of the new MMA writers would probley be helped by reading these boards. Ive been following MMA for 10 years and some of these guys that are new just plain suck and dont know there stuff.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 pm

i agree cory, i emailed a writer a bleacherreport basically undressing his article and he explained he had only been watching mma for a year, i was like how did you get this job?
Back to top Go down
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 11:48 pm

that's the thing these companies like espn foxsports and cbs already have analist hired so they have them do mma. Chost and mcneil do mma now but started with the nfl and boxing they both admit it's kind of there second focus. You would think they could get guys who have been around mma a while. Chost is pretty good though.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 am

Cory, I have spoken to Chost once on the phone and a hundred times via e-mail, and he says he can't even watch boxing anymore. When he does do NFL, it is merely because he is the only guy at the office to do pre-written updates. His main focus is MMA and he is glad his wagon is hitched to it. Word out of ESPN is that they will probably have another major baseball staff cut coming in the next 12 months and will expand into "growing" sports to augment less baseball on the Tele. MMA, Stihl's (some lumberjack thing that I hear get solid ratings). Baseball is an elephant that has laid down and elephants can't rise once they lay down.
Back to top Go down
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
Cory, I have spoken to Chost once on the phone and a hundred times via e-mail, and he says he can't even watch boxing anymore. When he does do NFL, it is merely because he is the only guy at the office to do pre-written updates. His main focus is MMA and he is glad his wagon is hitched to it. Word out of ESPN is that they will probably have another major baseball staff cut coming in the next 12 months and will expand into "growing" sports to augment less baseball on the Tele. MMA, Stihl's (some lumberjack thing that I hear get solid ratings). Baseball is an elephant that has laid down and elephants can't rise once they lay down.

Thanks for the inside info on Chost and by no means was I trying to take a shot at him as I said before I think he is really good. In one of his chats on ESPN he said he started with football (with espn) thats were I got that from. The issue I have is McNeil covering MMA as a boxing guy, he is horrible and right on point he writes an article on Nick Diaz real chance to make money is as a boxer. Look I love Diaz but there's not a chance in hell he would make better money as a boxer. At best he would be a second tier boxer, plain and simple it would never happen and this is whats on the front page of the espn MMA page. Dont mean to ramble but my point is new fans to MMA should be getting better info from better educated people on the sport. Yes his purse may be better as a boxer but he would lose all sorts of money from sponsors showtime video games yadda yadda. BTW is football the next elephant then? Sad
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 5:54 pm

dude, you don't have to preach about mcneil on this forum...

...remember guys, JDS has a sub against Mirko...

just one of his awesome views, lol
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:08 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AsZHN0QuQkESUmRON1Im6uo9Eo14?slug=dd-mmaranks012010
1.GSP
2.Spider
3.Aldo
4.Shogun
5.Frankie
6.Dom Cruz
7.Cain
8.Fedor
9.Shields
10.Fitch

voting panel: Denny Burkholder, CBSSports.com; Elias Cepeda, Inside Fighting; Mike Chiappetta MMAFighting.com and Fight! Magazine; Steve Cofield, Cagewriter and ESPN Radio 1100 Las Vegas; Neil Davidson The Canadian Press; Dave Doyle Yahoo! Sports; Ben Fowlkes, SportsIllustrated.com and MMAFighting.com; Josh Gross, ESPN.com; Ariel Helwani, Versus.com and MMAFighting.com; Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports; Damon Martin, MMAWeekly.com; Todd Martin, freelance; Franklin McNeil, ESPN.com; Brad McCray, freelance; Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports; and The Wrestling Observer; Ken Pishna, MMAWeekly.com; Michael David Smith, MMAFighting.com; Mike Straka, HDNet; Dann Stupp, MMAjunkie.com; and The Dayton Daily News.

Scoring: Ten points for a first-place vote, nine points for second, etc., down to one point for a 10th-place vote. Fighters who are under suspension for usage of performance-enhancing substances or abuse of drugs are ineligible to be considered for the duration of their suspensions; fighters who have been inactive for more than 12 months are ineligible for consideration until after the completion of their next fight.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:38 pm

OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
What happened to Ziggy? He's never here anymore?

He popped in like a month ago. I'm sure next time Iowa wins a big game he will be back....so it may be awhile.

Funny thing is that me and him are gonna be rivals now since Iowa and Michigan are in the same division I LOVE IT!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:40 pm

josh200612 wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

He popped in like a month ago. I'm sure next time Iowa wins a big game he will be back....so it may be awhile.

Funny thing is that me and him are gonna be rivals now since Iowa and Michigan are in the same division I LOVE IT!

Yeah but beating Michigan isn't a big win these day lol jk
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:45 pm

OU wrote:
josh200612 wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

Yeah but beating Michigan isn't a big win these day lol jk

We have only sucked for 3 yrs lol i guess to everyone else it's a lifetime besides me. I was there when we were pwning the big ten and i will be there when it happens again i think Hoke is the right fit. Also i got tickets to the Notre Dame game this year first night game in Ann Arbor!
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Ali wrote:
I am still baffled that Mike Brown was getting into P4P lists just because he knocked out Faber.

Baffled that a guy in a lighter weight class with a solid all-around game and no big weaknesses on an 8 fight win streak fresh off a KO of one of the premier fighters in the sport was being ranked P4P? Back up yo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Faber is not 1 of the premier fighters in the sport.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Top 10 P4P fighters aren't premier? Because that's what Faber was
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 1:59 pm

He was overrated. He was never 1 of the top 10 fighters in the world.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 1:59 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Ali wrote:
I am still baffled that Mike Brown was getting into P4P lists just because he knocked out Faber.

Baffled that a guy in a lighter weight class with a solid all-around game and no big weaknesses on an 8 fight win streak fresh off a KO of one of the premier fighters in the sport was being ranked P4P? Back up yo

What he means to say is. I saw him fight 3 times and I didn't know much about him.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 2:00 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Top 10 P4P fighters aren't premier? Because that's what Faber was

What Freak means to say is. "I just started watching smaller fighters(use to talk down on them), didn't get into the WEC until about a year ago, I wasn't aware of their talents".
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Easy to say now two years later.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 2:03 pm

Faber was top 10 as was mtb, then. Because they are not right now, depending on who you ask, doesn't mean they were not worthy when they were.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 2:47 pm

OU wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Ali wrote:

What he means to say is. I saw him fight 3 times and I didn't know much about him.

Nope. MTB isn't the type of fighter I would say has P4P qualities, he was pretty mediocre.

Putting Brown on the list for beating Faber is the equivalent of having Kelly Pavlik on a P4P list.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:19 pm

B, G and OU holding it down in here.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:03 am

not bad for a guy who lost his last two
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 9:49 am

I've long been anti MTB on the p4p lists. Guy went from nobody to top 10 p4p with one win.

Faber as a true top 10 p4p? I thought it at the time, and considering he was fighting at a weight higher then what he should have been fighting at, I think it still has credence, but as with torres, you look at the level of talent in the wec at that point and there is def an argument against them being there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 1:42 pm

captain organic wrote:
I've long been anti MTB on the p4p lists. Guy went from nobody to top 10 p4p with one win.

Faber as a true top 10 p4p? I thought it at the time, and considering he was fighting at a weight higher then what he should have been fighting at, I think it still has credence, but as with torres, you look at the level of talent in the wec at that point and there is def an argument against them being there.

+1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...   MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3... - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

MMA RANKINGS - CHAPTER 3...
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next