Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes

Go down 
+2
acccardinal12
Primetyme199
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes Empty
PostSubject: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 3:15 pm

WASHINGTON -- NCAA president Mark Emmert said Monday he supports a proposal to allow conferences to increase grants to student athletes by $2,000 "to more closely approach" the full cost of attending college, beyond the athletic scholarships athletes receive for tuition, fees, room, board and books.

Emmert told the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics that the proposal will be finalized this week and he'll ask the NCAA Division I Board of Directors to support it. He noted that student athletes have limited opportunities to work outside the classroom and playing fields, and that the current model of athletic scholarship hasn't changed for 40 years.

Emmert said he'll also ask the board to allow colleges and universities to provide multiyear grants, instead of year-to-year scholarships.

"This week, I'll be asking the board to support a proposal to allow conferences -- not mandate anyone, but allow conferences, not individual institutions -- to increase the value of an athletic grant in aid to more closely approach the full cost of attendance," Emmert said.

"We are going to create a model that would allow -- probably ... up to $2,000 in addition to" tuition, fees, room and board, books and supplies.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 7:55 pm

We spend more oney on basketball then anyone so I'm down for this. We will be paying the shit outta guys! Charlie Strong is a second year rookie football head coach and we pay him more than alot of SEC schools from what I heard on the radio. I didn't know he was a top 20 paid football coach like Lachlin McClain said on sports radio.

We are the best college sports town in the USA!

We might even match what John Calipari has been paying his recruits since he started coaching at UMASS on up to the present day at UK. hah!
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 7:59 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
We spend more oney on basketball then anyone so I'm down for this. We will be paying the shit outta guys! Charlie Strong is a second year rookie football head coach and we pay him more than alot of SEC schools from what I heard on the radio. I didn't know he was a top 20 paid football coach like Lachlin McClain said on sports radio.

We might even match what John Calipari has been paying his recruits since he started coaching at UMASS on up to the present day at UK. hah!

palm
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 8:54 pm

timthebim wrote:

palm

and who may I ask do you think is a better college sports town in the USA? I mean we do have a whole HWY dedicated to our signs where WE claim to be the best college sports town in the United States. We have chased out so many pro teams in my life time because we don't want one. We love our Louisville Cardinals!
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 9:39 pm

timthebim wrote:

palm

and who may I ask do you think is a better college sports town in the USA? I mean we do have a whole HWY dedicated to our signs where WE claim to be the best college sports town in the United States. We have chased out so many pro teams in my life time because we don't want one. We love our Louisville Cardinals!

College Station, TX ("college" is actually in the name of our city)

We have 30K students at every football game. (over 50% of L-Ville's little stadium)

We're in the top 10 in attendance in football, baseball, soccer, and tons of other sports. We hold the largest midnight madness event every year.

We host NCAA Championships soccer, indoor track & field, and swimming & diving.

In the last few years we've won national titles in golf, equestrian(multiple), women's basketball, and track & field (back to back to back in men's & women's).

We have world class facilities in football, basketball (UNC came to look at our McFerrin Center to get ideas for their next renovation), baseball (26million facelift in progress), softball (being renovated as well), track & field, and the list goes on.

As you look around town we paint our whataburger's maroon. NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes 45753980

We started the "color out" in 1998 with the first maroon out. http://aggietraditions.tamu.edu/team/maroonout.html

We organized "red, white, and blue out" after 9/11 in a matter of days.

NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes Red_white_and_blue_out

Kyle Field is regularly voted the #1 stadium in the nation. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/6436849

How many other towns know every word of the school song(Spirit of Aggieland) and fight song(War Hymn) and sing them with or without music.

For 90 years the student body alone build massive bonfires to show their burning desire to BTHO t.u.

NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes 1098NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes Bonfire_big

As creepy as it sounds we even have our own cemetery. http://www.cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=2618

Add on top of that we are a world class university!
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Pretty good arguement for A&M Farmer.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 12:47 pm

timthebim wrote:
Pretty good arguement for A&M Farmer.

No it's not timmeh! Everything is bigger in Texas so they are automatically out of the competition. lol!

You guys may not know this but UofL has a fan base on other planets. NASA is owned by University of Louisville, we are responsible for the capture of Bin Laden, and James Bond started out as a Cardinal Mascot before his days as a spy. You can't hold us Texas boi!

Oh and Tim.....Detroit is dirty!
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 12:49 pm

I remember being fascinated as a little kid when A&M played on TV and they would show people making out in the crowd after they scored

That's all I have to add
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:54 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
I remember being fascinated as a little kid when A&M played on TV and they would show people making out in the crowd after they scored

That's all I have to add

Well shit I'm done then. lol

That's the very last thing I would've thought would pop up in this discussion.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:

That's all I have to add

It true. When A&M scores on the field, we score in the stands.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

That's all I have to add

It true. When A&M scores on the field, we score in the stands.

Guess who just became an Aggies fan?
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 8:52 pm

LOL Farmer is such a homer.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Anyway back to the topic. I'm all for giving players some $$, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if it never happens.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 11:51 pm

josh200612 wrote:
LOL Farmer is such a homer.

I let him have his glory here. Football is big in Texas, but here our college is whats important. We support all of our sports and any event will have a good crowd. We travel and support our teams and players in every way more than any big college imo. I think there are alot of schools who have fans that can argue that though. All I know is if someone thinks the University of Louisville isn't a top college sports town, they have sadly mistaken.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes   NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes Empty

Back to top Go down

NCAA pushes $2K payment for student athletes
Page 1 of 1