Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kenny Florian officially announces his....

Go down 
+5
OU
bobbitt15
timthebim
Andrew the Raider King
KingsOwn19
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Kenny Florian officially announces his.... Empty
PostSubject: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 5:25 am

...move back up to 155

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/other_sports/ultimate_fighting/view/2011_1023k-flo_its_still_a_go_despite_another_setback_not_ready_to_quit/

K-Flo: It's still a go

A number of thoughts have gone through Kenny Florian’s mind in the two weeks since his unanimous-decision loss to featherweight champion Jose Aldo at UFC 136 in Houston.

Florian considered retirement, but the 35-year-old couldn’t shake one feeling: He still loves to train and fight. With that in mind, Florian has decided to continue his career. The only change the Dover native will make is a move back up to the 155-pound lightweight division.

“I still love this sport tremendously and still want to be a part of it,” Florian said in an exclusive interview with the Herald. “I know myself and it’s not even just being competitive, but it’s just being there learning and competing. There’s still very much a fire burning there so I’m going to do it.”

The loss to Aldo was the third title shot loss of Florian’s career. After dropping a fight to Gray Maynard for the lightweight No.   1 contender spot last August, Lauzon dropped to the 145-pound featherweight division.

The move proved beneficial when Florian (16-6) defeated Diego Nunes in June to land the title shot vs. Aldo. But on fight night, Florian said he felt the effect of the lower weight.

“I felt it warming up, unfortunately,” Florian said. “I don’t want there to be an excuse because there’s still things I should have executed that I didn’t, but I feel that it’s tough to go in there at a weight class that you’re not sure if you’re going to be 100 percent.”

Florian doesn’t plan to fight for the next six months as he rebuilds his body for the lightweight division. He’ll return to an uncertain future, with a fourth title shot highly unlikely without a lot of stellar performances.

“I didn’t get in this to be second-best, of course. But at the same time, not everybody can be a champion,” Florian said. “I’m just going to go back to 155, work my way up, take it one fight at a time and see where it puts me.

“I think there’s exciting fights out there for me, there’s still challenges out there for me, there’s still things I’d like to try to improve on and that’s the main thing. I don’t necessarily have the title in my eyes, but I do have my own personal goals as far as the technical level that I want to get to.”

Florian believes he’s still making improvements and said he has been reinvigorated since switching training camps two years ago to work primarily at his own gym in Brookline and in Montreal with renowned trainer Firas Zahabi. A promising career as a TV analyst awaits after retirement, but Florian isn’t ready to hang it up yet.

“I don’t like making any limits on how many fights or anything like that,” Florian said. “I’m still going to take it one fight at a time. I know I’ve still got several good fights in me. I could fight for the next three years. I could fight maybe another couple of fights. I don’t know. I’m going to take it how I feel in training, how I feel fight after fight and I’m just going to take it like that.”

It's good that we'll finally get to see fight finished at one fifty fiiiive...i hear Kenny finishes fights!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 7:22 am

At 35 with three failed title shots retirement would be wise. Kenny should look for a career in broadcasting, he's young, handsome and intelligent.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 8:26 am

Considering everything, he really should retire.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 8:29 am

Why should he retire? he's still top 10. Should everyone not good enough to be champ retire?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 8:47 am

Yeah I dont think he needs to retire. He is just under champion status but i dont know what going back to 155 is going to prove I guess unless he feels he can beat Frankie.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 8:49 am

He's probably just more comfortable at the weight class. If you're going to be a gatekeeper, might as well be one at a preferred weight class.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 9:12 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
He's probably just more comfortable at the weight class. If you're going to be a gatekeeper, might as well be one at a preferred weight class.

This. Why lose the extra weight when you don't have too?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 9:38 am

Yeah I hear u guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 9:47 am

Why continue when you've gone as far as you can go ?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 9:50 am

Ali wrote:

Money, the love of the sport, Money, the competition, Money, The training, Money........Oh yeah did I say Money????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 9:53 am

timthebim wrote:
Ali wrote:

Money, the love of the sport, Money, the competition, Money, The training, Money........Oh yeah did I say Money????

Kenny can make money working for ESPN and could also eventually become a full time commentator. He's got the opportunity to walk away with his health intact and go out with dignified performance against one of the best in the sport.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 9:54 am

I just think those guys have been fighting for so long its just hard to stop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 10:04 am

He will make more money fighting than commentating.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 10:08 am

freakzilla wrote:
He will make more money fighting than commentating.

No arguement from me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 10:12 am

Kenny already looks like he's appealing for a role in Zoolander II in Kings sig.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 10:15 am

Ali wrote:
Kenny already looks like he's appealing for a role in Zoolander II in Kings sig.

Lol
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 11:47 am

Its not like Kenny has taken a lot of damage in his career anyway. Keep fighting

I'll look forward to seeing Kenny against some top guys in the now crowded LW division
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 11:57 am

Kenny Florian vs Jim Miller anyone?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 12:05 pm

Kenny can still make some nice $ at the top of some cards. Who wouldn't be down for Kenny vs Pettis? Kenny vs Melvin? He should still be competitive vs the top 5 of the division. What about Kenny vs Nate Diaz? Could be an interesting fight.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Kenny vs Cowboy
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Kenny has a ton of fights people would want to see.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Ali wrote:

He said it in the first couple lines of that story. He still loves to train, he still loves to fight. And he has not taken a bunch of beatings in his career.

No reason for him not to continue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 3:51 pm

KenFlo vs. Guillard makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Kenny 'The Gatekeeper' Florian...Yeah, I say retire...
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Glad Kenny is back at LW. Ther are alot of good fights for him here. I want him to fight Showtime!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kenny Florian officially announces his....   Kenny Florian officially announces his.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Kenny Florian officially announces his....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next