Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dana's reaction

Go down 
+6
LA
KingsOwn19
Andrew the Raider King
captain organic
timthebim
throwdownfight1
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:12 am

Quote :
danawhite Dana White
Michael Jordan of MMA!? Dumbest thing ever said!!! So stupid
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 am

dana being dana, a douche. with that said dana is right when he says anderson is the goat mma fighter.imo fedor is 2nd maybe even 3rd
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 am

throwdownfight1 wrote:
dana being dana, a douche. with that said dana is right when he says anderson is the goat mma fighter.imo fedor is 2nd maybe even 3rd

Yeah he is until he loses a couple fights in a row. Fedor was probably the most dominate fighter ever for a very long time and the fact he is getting older and finally becoming human shouldnt be a huge surprise. Eventually time catches every1.
Back to top Go down

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:59 am

Fedor is the GOAT and watching him fight now is like watching Michael Jordan play for the Wizards.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 am

yeah a late career slide should not taint what the guy accomplished in his prime.
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:10 am

timthebim wrote:
throwdownfight1 wrote:

Yeah he is until he loses a couple fights in a row. Fedor was probably the most dominate fighter ever for a very long time and the fact he is getting older and finally becoming human shouldnt be a huge surprise. Eventually time catches every1.

im not discrediting fedor for he was and is the goat hw but not of all mma imo and many others. once again i thought it was a an early stoppage but yeah he is human and older. the years have caught up to him.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:06 pm

Fedor is younger than Anderson Silva, who as of this moment is the GOAT.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 4:57 pm

I still think Travis Lutter being the Michael Jordan of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a tad more asinine than somebody saying Fedor with his run is the Michael Jordan of MMA.

Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 5:53 pm

MJ had taken 4 years off and was 40 playing for the Wiz, Fedor is 33ish which typically is prime years for a lot of fighters. Really not too much difference between Pride Fedor and the Fedor we've been seeing, at least I can't see it unless simply losing means he's not the same fighter.
Back to top Go down

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
Fedor is younger than Anderson Silva, who as of this moment is the GOAT.

+1
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 6:06 pm

LA wrote:
MJ had taken 4 years off and was 40 playing for the Wiz, Fedor is 33ish which typically is prime years for a lot of fighters. Really not too much difference between Pride Fedor and the Fedor we've been seeing, at least I can't see it unless simply losing means he's not the same fighter.

Well MJ hadn't won a title till 28, and really wasn't seen as the goat till at best 31(truly cemented his status as the goat after the baseball business) the majority of Fedor's acheivements were accomplished by 28, he was already the goat at that point.

so in terms of timelines, yes they are different. But does that disqualify Fedor as the MMA MJ? It shouldn't. Only question of relevance is: was Fedor as dominant in his sport as MJ was in his?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 6:26 pm

LA wrote:

true in mma, not in boxing, Fedor took a shit load of punishment in his career so im not surprised

Boxers that were all forward motion and in the kitchen like Frazier and Tyson were normally done by 31, so not really surprised, also lets be real, Fedor isnt one of these 33 year okds getting injected with shit.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 6:29 pm

It's hard to really do this strictly by age. This is like trying to compare an NBA athlete to an NFL athlete. There is much more physical contact, at least malicious physical contact permitted and encouraged here than in the NBA. Now if you want to say he's the Michael Jordan of MMA in terms of having the best natural talent and played head and shoulders above the rest for so long then yes that would be fitting. But by now Fedor may technically be the same fighter he has a ton of mileage on him. He's been cut numerous times, had his nose busted just as many if not more, he's always game even last night. Had it been anyone else in there I doubt that uppercut ends Fedor's night the way it did. We can't take away from Fedor what he accomplished just because the mileage has started catching up with him along with the drive to do this anymore has started to extinguish.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 7:39 pm

captain organic wrote:
LA wrote:

Well MJ hadn't won a title till 28, and really wasn't seen as the goat till at best 31(truly cemented his status as the goat after the baseball business) the majority of Fedor's acheivements were accomplished by 28, he was already the goat at that point.

so in terms of timelines, yes they are different. But does that disqualify Fedor as the MMA MJ? It shouldn't. Only question of relevance is: was Fedor as dominant in his sport as MJ was in his?

It's not a matter of age vs age, it was the comparison to this Fedor vs the Wiz MJ, just can't see it.

Fedor is the MJ of an ERA of MMA, it's still such a young sport in all reality, we may not have even seen the true MJ of MMA yet.

Hell Fedor might be Bill Russell or George Mikan you know what I mean.

Last edited by LA on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 7:46 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
LA wrote:

true in mma, not in boxing, Fedor took a shit load of punishment in his career so im not surprised

Boxers that were all forward motion and in the kitchen like Frazier and Tyson were normally done by 31, so not really surprised, also lets be real, Fedor isnt one of these 33 year okds getting injected with shit.

OK? Not sure where boxing came into play. If by "prime years for a lot of fighters", it's quite the jump to think I'm including boxers in the discussion. Don't really ever talk boxing on here.

But Fedor may not be some guy getting TRT type shit, but he moves and fights like he has for years, he got sloppy and caught in a triangle against Werdum (would still wreck him in a rematch), got overpowered and outsized against Foot, and got caught by a pretty unique punch against Hendo, he's still the same guy, just hit a few bumps in the road he never had before.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:29 pm

LA wrote:
captain organic wrote:
LA wrote:

It's not a matter of age vs age, it was the comparison to this Fedor vs the Wiz MJ, just can't see it.

Fedor is the MJ of an ERA of MMA, it's still such a young sport in all reality, we may not have even seen the true MJ of MMA yet.

Hell Fedor might be Bill Russell or George Mikan you know what I mean.

Yup he's a Bill Russell imo.

Best argument for why he(or anyone else in MMA) is not MJ? The fact that there is even an argument as him as the MMA goat. Not much argument in basketball. It's MJ. And that was still the consensus even as he played for the Wiz. (though i think it is fair to say Fedor at 33 is in the MJ Wizard stage of his career)

So I agree with the thought that we have yet to see the MJ of MMA. Bones might have a chance. Spider could if he woops Sonnen in the rematch, but I do think the perceived wrestling weakness keeps him out of possible MJ discussions at the moment. No such weakness on MJ.
Back to top Go down

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:02 pm

Look at the punishment Fedor has taken compared to Anderson. Big Nog is in the same boat. Your body can't take that much punishment and continue for a longer period of time. Anderson is a genetic freak in that he can cut down to 185 and not lose a step while Fedor never cut and fought bigger guys basically his whole career.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 11:28 pm

Freak, you are aware Anderson had a career at 170lbs early on? He didn't always walk around at 220lbs, thats a product of packing on muscle and also a product of getting older. Part of it I would think is his one time wish to fight at 205 or even Heavyweight, and so he began bulking up for that purpose.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 12:09 am

I don't think age is much of a factor in MMA. We've seen guys peak in their 30's and we've seen guys fade while still in their 20's. Anderson Silva was not the fighter he is now in his 20's...he was very talented but he was not great. Fedor is a guy that had his best moments in his 20's and he fights differently as well. Some fighters leave their prime in their 20's and never recover when everybody thought that fighting at such a high level in their early 20's meant they were going to be great from years and years..thats why i don't really care how old Jon Jones or Gegard Mousasi is...age is so often not the decider of prime years in MMA. I think number of fights, changes in training, injuries, etc. is a factor. Fedor has tons of mileage on him, also you have to take into account that Anderson Silva and Fedor are two different types of athletes physically. It's not just as simple as Anderson Silva is older and still in his prime years, so it can't be that Fedor is simply past his prime. It does not work like that...atleast not in this sport.
Back to top Go down

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 12:27 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
I don't think age is much of a factor in MMA. We've seen guys peak in their 30's and we've seen guys fade while still in their 20's. Anderson Silva was not the fighter he is now in his 20's...he was very talented but he was not great. Fedor is a guy that had his best moments in his 20's and he fights differently as well. Some fighters leave their prime in their 20's and never recover when everybody thought that fighting at such a high level in their early 20's meant they were going to be great from years and years..thats why i don't really care how old Jon Jones or Gegard Mousasi is...age is so often not the decider of prime years in MMA. I think number of fights, changes in training, injuries, etc. is a factor. Fedor has tons of mileage on him, also you have to take into account that Anderson Silva and Fedor are two different types of athletes physically. It's not just as simple as Anderson Silva is older and still in his prime years, so it can't be that Fedor is simply past his prime. It does not work like that...atleast not in this sport.

+1. Great work Kings.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 1:23 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:

I don't think anybody said it was, only I commented how the age Fedor is now typically falls within the prime years for fighters, and 30-33 typically is it. Fedor is the same Fedor we've been seeing, he lost though so now he must be a different fighter...
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 1:32 am

freakzilla wrote:
Look at the punishment Fedor has taken compared to Anderson. Big Nog is in the same boat. Your body can't take that much punishment and continue for a longer period of time. Anderson is a genetic freak in that he can cut down to 185 and not lose a step while Fedor never cut and fought bigger guys basically his whole career.

Fedor is not like Nog where he looks slow and is getting dropped by punches that never used to faze him.

He's not Chuck where face punches are lifting him off his feet and slow uppercuts are putting him in a coma.

He's not Wandy coming in swinging slower then molasses leaving you worried if he gets touched on the face he's going out.

Fedor is still fighting like he always has, moving like he always has, but he's lost some fights so there must be something more to it now.

Fedor clipped and dropped Werdum, went in to crush him with his patented GnP, got sloppy and caught by a BJJ World Champion.

He fought Foot who had what 4-6 inches, somewhere in 40-60 lbs, 8+ inch reach adv., double the head size and hands that made his look like a 12 year old boys; he fought him tough, rocked Foot a couple times, but in the end he lost because he got outsized..

Hendo was almost done, just so happens he reversed position, and landed a punch that's like throwing a quarter in a machine slot, he found Fedor's button and you had to come up from behind and underneath Fedor's chin to find it.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 5:00 am

It's stuff like sloppiness and wildness that make Fedor a different fighter, it's not that he's losing. Sure winning makes you not point it out but it's there. We all watched Fedor and knew who was in PRIDE. He was no KO artist and didnt look to be. A different fighter does not mean a less capable fighter, but Fedor does not approach fights the same way he used to and never attempts the things he used. For about 5-6 straight fights Fedor swings for the fences now..he's a guy that wants to stand up and swing em and apparently only that. He was not that fighter when he dominated Pride. Fedor against the best guys was mainly a top control and ground and pound fighter. I won't get on him too much for standing so close to shoulder length with Hendo since i thought Hendo was finished, but Fedor sloppily flailing into Werdum's guard like that shows a lack of awareness and patience that helped build Fedor's rep. Sure, he would strike and would have success because he's good all around but back then he mixed a lot of judo and sambo into his attack, and was patient and two steps ahead of his opponent. He was not wild and he was not sloppy..and definetly not over agressive as he has been in his last 4 fights. There is a difference between that Fedor and the current one. It's not just the losses. Fedor could have easily beat Henderson and Werdum. He had Henderson beat and he would have only needed to be patient with Werdum...Bigfoot dominated him, Fedor could easily only have 2 losses in his whole career right now and i know that..so it's not about the losses. However, it's obvious Fedor has been in one mode(rock em sock em mode) since the time he tried to take Hong Man Choi to the mat and Choi fell on Fedor's face...and we all know Fedor used to not be in such a huge hurry to finsh a fight as he is nowadays.

I agree that losses don't mean a fighter has declined in ability, but Fedor is definetly a different fighter right now. I don't think he's any less of a striker than he ever has been..but i don't think Fedor going in there in these stand up battles all the time is really the Fedor that was dominant.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 1:31 pm

Fedor is still one of the most dangerous fighters in the world.

If you point to he has lost 3 in a row as reason to state otherwise, you really miss the big picture.

An undisciplined decision against a BJJ champ, who I agree, he would crush in a rematch.

Finally after 11 years crossing paths with another behemoth who this time also had enough skill with his size and power to not let the normal sized fedor to defeat him.

And finally a Hendo right to the bottom of his chin in what was a great fight. After 11 years of HW fighting, his first KO, it happens, and still never been really knocked down that I recall.

It happens, this is fighting. Nothing about Fedor looks tame or tired. He is a game fight against any LHW and HW in the world still, the legend of Fedor is built of the last ten years and has a good chance of remaining there, but the fighter Fedor, rightly lives on as long as he wants to.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 5:08 pm

I was more concerned and shocked that as Hendo is finishing his outside single from the bottom, Fedor doesn't recognize or even attempt overhooking with his right arm to defend, as demonstrated in GDPofDRC's gif. Instead, he uses his right hand to brace forward. Technical mistake or age or a combination of both? Not so sure, but im thinking a combination of both. Fedor is still very dangerous, but seems sloppier then he was before and seems too concerned with finishing fights early.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dana's reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana's reaction   Dana's reaction Empty

Back to top Go down

Dana's reaction
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next