Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why not a WW Grand Prix?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Why not a WW Grand Prix? Empty
PostSubject: Why not a WW Grand Prix?   Why not a WW Grand Prix? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 11:57 am

Fights already made

Fitch vs Almeida

Hardy vs Swick

Alves vs Thiago

Johnson vs Yoshida

Parisyan vs. Hazelett

then these guys are all available

Hendricks vs Ellenberger

Condit vs Koscheck

Hughes vs Daley

The only real problem is the AKA not wanting to fight each other, but how badass would that be if the UFC could pull this off to find a true #1 contender for GSP. And while GSP waits he could move to MW and fight a big name or even Anderson.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Why not a WW Grand Prix?   Why not a WW Grand Prix? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 12:05 pm

maybe the best idea I've read on this board, would love to see something like this go down. it works for all champ dominated weight classes but works even better with GSP out and a possible megafight at a higher weight class.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Why not a WW Grand Prix?   Why not a WW Grand Prix? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 12:11 pm

We could make incredible GP's all day as stacked as the UFC is. Problem is, it's the 2009 UFC.

I think the UFC REALLY missed the boat on a HW GP when Couture bolted. Now, if any other belt holders decide to "retire", I think the UFC should have a three month, 8 man GP to grab that title. Who the hell isn't paying to see that? Imagine your scenario if GSP were out of the picture...

And just go to the AKA guys and lay it out... "Want a shot at that title, you may have to fight one of your boys... Don't want to do that, keep fighting for chump change and sit on the outside looking in while risking getting cut..."
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Why not a WW Grand Prix?   Why not a WW Grand Prix? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 12:18 pm

I enjoyed the mini UFC HW GP

R1 Couture vs Lesnar

R1 Mir vs Nog

R2 Mir vs Lesnar
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Why not a WW Grand Prix?   Why not a WW Grand Prix? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 12:18 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
We could make incredible GP's all day as stacked as the UFC is. Problem is, it's the 2009 UFC.

I think the UFC REALLY missed the boat on a HW GP when Couture bolted. Now, if any other belt holders decide to "retire", I think the UFC should have a three month, 8 man GP to grab that title. Who the hell isn't paying to see that? Imagine your scenario if GSP were out of the picture...

And just go to the AKA guys and lay it out... "Want a shot at that title, you may have to fight one of your boys... Don't want to do that, keep fighting for chump change and sit on the outside looking in while risking getting cut..."

I actually like the GP leading into a title fight with a dominant champ.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Why not a WW Grand Prix?   Why not a WW Grand Prix? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 pm

I agree Cappy... But we know the UFC won't entertain the thought in this age, and certainly not with someone already holding a belt. That would leave Joe Silva's job obsolete... And we know what an amazing match maker he is.

If asked Dana would spin it like this... "Joe already does a fucking amazing job in setting up the best fucking fights possible. And who the hell wants to see a guy who has gotten the shit kicked out of him for three fights in a short period and is all kinds of banged up getting in the cage against someone as fucking amazing as G.S fucking P?..."
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Why not a WW Grand Prix?   Why not a WW Grand Prix? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 7:02 pm

Ya. They could still build challengers the traditional way, while using tournaments to instantly establish new comers like Ellinberger, Hendricks, Daley and returning fighters like Trigg.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why not a WW Grand Prix?   Why not a WW Grand Prix? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why not a WW Grand Prix?
Page 1 of 1