Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage Empty
PostSubject: BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage   BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:30 am

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/2/15/1996361/ufc-quick-quote-bj-penn-is-happy-eating-and-drinking-as-much-as-he-can
Quote :
"When it comes to 155 pounds, I don't even like cutting the weight to make that weight. It's not a tough cut for me -- I probably cut three of four pounds on the day of the weigh in. But you have to cut down food and you have to cut your water down. And I don't know if that's a healthy thing. I mean if someone said let's meet tomorrow at 12 o'clock to fight somewhere, your family honor is on the line, I wouldn't stop drinking water and stop eating. I don't see how that can help you and make you the stronger person.... I come from a whole different mindset. I believe you get as healthy as you can and fight the best guy possible. I feel that I'm a healthy person right now and in a great mindset, and I know that when we get to Australia we're going to fight less than 24 hours after the weigh in, so I'd rather be in the position that I'm in. Twenty hours later me and Jon Fitch are going to be standing in the ring looking at each other and I'm going to be happy knowing that I was drinking as much water and eating as much as I could the whole time I was getting ready to fight someone of Fitch's caliber. I don't think Dana [White] would ever let [me fight at 155 again]."
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage   BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:32 am

Whatever helps BJ perform at his best, I'm all for.
Back to top Go down
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the name Silva, Chris Leben, Nick Diaz, Don Frye

PostSubject: Re: BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage   BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 am

if fitch had trouble with the cut I would agree with him but fitch is a big 185 who has never had trouble making weight. Size disadvantage is never good in high level mma.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage   BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:42 am

corydd7 wrote:
if fitch had trouble with the cut I would agree with him but fitch is a big 185 who has never had trouble making weight. Size disadvantage is never good in high level mma.

Fitch is a big 170, but he is a wrestler who has been cutting weight for most of his life now. He has never showed any signs of it effecting him before. Although I'm not sure how often the fight less then 24hrs after the weigh ins and if that will have any effect.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage   BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 am

OU wrote:
Whatever helps BJ perform at his best, I'm all for.

Yep whatever works best for him. I just hope his cardio is off the chain, cause if it is I believe he can hold off Jon's takedowns enough to do damage and win the fight. But even though BJ will never admitt it, strength and size does play a factor, and if he doesn't have the gas to keep up the takedown defense his only hope will be his bjj which still would make him dangerous but it's not ideal of course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage   BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage Empty

Back to top Go down

BJ thinks not cutting weight will be his advantage
Page 1 of 1