Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011

Go down 
+10
OU
MMAEYES
SOKO
gomez1012
captain organic
LA
Wolfgangsta
acccardinal12
killerofchicken
Ninja
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
Strikeforce will lose alot of money with Fedor in it if he has the same type of contract he usually has.

from all accounts they've made $$$$ with him in the org thus far.

I think he is a key peice of their building process.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 8:32 pm

Scott did say they were going to do this in 2011, and he said it months ago, glad that they are at least trying to bring this back to the table and not letting the idea pass.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 8:40 pm

captain organic wrote:
My skepticism stems from the fact that I've read about a dozen headlines talking about a HW tourney. Add in the the dozen I've read about the MW tourney, and im in "i'll believe it whenI see it" mode.

Me too. Don't forget Fedor still only has 1 fight left on his contract.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 8:50 pm

It all depends on what type of contract he has. If it's like Afflictions they'll be paying out money if he fights 3 times in a year which he will in a tourney as long as he wins.

Fedor Emelinaenko reserved all rights to distribute and exploit his bouts in Russia and Asia. He had the right to retain all revenue from the sale, license, or any other exploitation of his reserved rights to market the broadcast. There are other specifics regarding Affliction's responsibility to provide Fedor and M-1 with a high definition feed. The rights include streaming rights, and extend beyond Fedor's fights to the undercard and preliminary fights.

The Consulting Agreement

--M-1 was to provide consulting on all the following topics: International bout consulting, international television, fighter scouting, location for future bouts recommendations, television-related opportunities, international sponsorships, and bout tourism.

--M-1 was also required to fully cooperate and assist in the advertising and promotion of each fight.

--In exchange for these consulting services, Affliction agreed to pay M-1 a consulting fee of $1,200,000 per fight.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
captain organic wrote:
My skepticism stems from the fact that I've read about a dozen headlines talking about a HW tourney. Add in the the dozen I've read about the MW tourney, and im in "i'll believe it whenI see it" mode.

Me too. Don't forget Fedor still only has 1 fight left on his contract.

well it's another one of the "I've seen a dozen headlines" situations here, but word is Fedor and Sf are close to an extension.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
It all depends on what type of contract he has. If it's like Afflictions they'll be paying out money if he fights 3 times in a year which he will in a tourney as long as he wins.

Fedor Emelinaenko reserved all rights to distribute and exploit his bouts in Russia and Asia. He had the right to retain all revenue from the sale, license, or any other exploitation of his reserved rights to market the broadcast. There are other specifics regarding Affliction's responsibility to provide Fedor and M-1 with a high definition feed. The rights include streaming rights, and extend beyond Fedor's fights to the undercard and preliminary fights.

The Consulting Agreement

--M-1 was to provide consulting on all the following topics: International bout consulting, international television, fighter scouting, location for future bouts recommendations, television-related opportunities, international sponsorships, and bout tourism.

--M-1 was also required to fully cooperate and assist in the advertising and promotion of each fight.

--In exchange for these consulting services, Affliction agreed to pay M-1 a consulting fee of $1,200,000 per fight.

And there is a reason Affliction went out of the promotion business in 1 years time. They are well known for giving way too much during negotiations.

SF is not Affliction, safe to say the contracts are not similar.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 9:05 pm

They have been close to an extension for months yet nothing has been done. Back in August they were reporting how the deal was just about complete.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
They have been close to an extension for months yet nothing has been done. Back in August they were reporting how the deal was just about complete.

which signals that SF is not caving to M-1's demands.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 9:15 pm

which means they won't have him in the tourney like they are saying. Without him in the tourney they will suffer, and I think by announcing this before he was signed again M-1 will try and use that as leverage.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 9:19 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
which means they won't have him in the tourney like they are saying. Without him in the tourney they will suffer, and I think by announcing this before he was signed again M-1 will try and use that as leverage.

SF can field an excellent tournament without including Fedor.

And this would allow him to fight an intermediate fight, and then a title fight while the tourney plays itself out.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 9:42 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
I'd be pumped if I believed there was any actual chance of this going down and being completed

Strikeforce has had how many major plans fall through? One MW tournament? What else? Why all the skepticism?

Its like performing oral surgery just getting Fedor and Overeem into a cage at this point. I'll believe an 8 man tourney when I see it

No it isn't. Fedor fought five months ago. He wanted Werdum but he was injured. Overeem made it clear he was working on K-1 this year. There isn't magical forces or evil managers behind closed doors conspiring to keep these fighters from other fighters. That is the popular oversimplified narrative from fans with half the story.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Guys how many times will you have to read that SHOWTIME IS THE ONES NEGOTIATING WITH M-1 FUCKING GLOBAL. Strikeforce and M-1 are NOT THE ONLY MOTHERFUCKING PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THIS.

Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 Adork
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:43 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
I'd be pumped if I believed there was any actual chance of this going down and being completed

Get out of my brain
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Guys how many times will you have to read that SHOWTIME IS THE ONES NEGOTIATING WITH M-1 FUCKING GLOBAL. Strikeforce and M-1 are NOT THE ONLY MOTHERFUCKING PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THIS.

I dont care WHO is involved... all i know is Fedor has fough 3 times in the last 3 years and all these "excuses" i've had enough of

I love Fedor as a fighter but this shit has got to stop!
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:52 pm

People forget that Fedor has had multiple hand injuries. How many times Brian Bowles fight last year?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
People forget that Fedor has had multiple hand injuries. How many times Brian Bowles fight last year?
LOL, yea he's had injuries as does EVERY mma fighter... its just BS at this point Wolf and im surprised that you havent come to realize it
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Is Bowles one of the best fighters ever? Is Bowles trying to make an inpact in the States? Does Bowles come with a ridiuclous management team?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:06 pm

No but none of that matters when you have a broken hand. Hand injuries are very bad for fighters and Fedor has been struggling badly with them as of late. I believe he's broken his hand in each of his last three wins. At least twice.

Not that this absolves M-1 from any annoying malpractice but the narrative with fans too much is "OMFGZ DA CRAZY DA DFUCKIN RUSSIANS RUINZ EVERYTHINGSZ!!!!!!!" and it's a ridiculous over simplification.

Fact is, Showtime and Strikeforce also needed to negotiate with Fedor before they'd allow him to rematch Werdum or fight anyone on the last fight on his deal. He couldn't fight Reem or Werdum and then leave for the UFC, that would be bad for business. Fedor also had his focus on a rematch with Werdum, and we can't blame him for that too badly can we? Werdum had elbow surgery and wasn't available for the last six months of the year. Shogun will not have fought for almost an entire year. Lesnar was off for a year as well. Injuries happen in MMA.

Fact is, we can criticize Overeem for not fighting or Strikeforce for not stripping him, but look at his value now. He's the closest thing to a comic book character left in MMA with Fedor's freak loss and Lesnar being exposed as a fraud. His K-1 adventures have paid off big time. His value and name will be much greater. Strikeforce now can lay claim to the best Sambo, Kickboxing, grappling and arguably wrestling(Comier) HW's in the entire sport.

Fact is, Showtime also has been negotiating with M-1 on bringing more free MMA to the fans by way of multiple M-1 shows this year on Showtime.

Fact is, the one real fault of Strikeforce is not controlling the storylines in the media.

Last edited by Wolfgangsta on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Fact is, no one cares about M-1 outside Fedor and their demands are ridiculous especially when you consider Fedor just lost. And M-1 is hurting Fedor's repuation whether anyone wants to acknowledge that or not.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:14 pm

LA wrote:
Fact is, no one cares about M-1 outside Fedor and their demands are ridiculous especially when you consider Fedor just lost. And M-1 is hurting Fedor's repuation whether anyone wants to acknowledge that or not.

What demands are ridiculous in this round of negotiating specifically? You do realize that SF and Showtime brought this to the table and wouldn't have let Fedor fight the last fight on his deal against Werdum or Overeem, the only two opponents M-1 was really interested in right?

Same as when the UFC forces fighters to renegotiate when they're on the last fight of their deal.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:14 pm

fact is they've been negotiating... and thats about it
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
LA wrote:

What demands are ridiculous in this round of negotiating specifically? You do realize that SF and Showtime brought this to the table and wouldn't have let Fedor fight the last fight on his deal against Werdum or Overeem, the only two opponents M-1 was really interested in right?

Same as when the UFC forces fighters to renegotiate when they're on the last fight of their deal.

I don't know the context of these negotiations and either do you so pretending so would be ignorant. The demands comment was broad, as their demands in the past, no other fighter has anything even close.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Fedor fought in the summer, it's the winter, he's got a fight booked for the spring. That's not an overlong layoff. I'd have liked to have him fight again but it is what it is. His inactivity is more than just one sided negotiations.

Look, I get that human beings are wired to look for good guys and bad guys and moral dichotomies that are clear and easy to follow, but I wish we could collectively realize that black and white blame games are not reflective of the nature of this business(or anything honestly)
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:20 pm

LA wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
LA wrote:

I don't know the context of these negotiations and either do you so pretending so would be ignorant. The demands comment was broad, as their demands in the past, no other fighter has anything even close.

Checkmate. M-1's fault for making ridiculous demands. m-1 da badguyz. dems da crazy commie russkys. nopz i donno da demanz but that wonts stopz me fron havinz a opinionz.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011   Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Strikeforce planning an eight-man heavyweight grand prix tournament for 2011
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next