Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nelson caught up in contract BS

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Nelson caught up in contract BS Empty
PostSubject: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 3:35 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/11/14/1813244/ufc-star-roy-nelson-stuck-in-contractual-limbo

Quote :
Nelson, as well his overseers at Zuffa, are facing off in court with another combat sport participant that goes by Junior - Roy Jones Jr, that is. RJJ and his Square Ring, Inc. (SRI) filed suit in late Spring in Nevada court against both Nelson and Zuffa, alleging that the two parties acted together to deprive SRI of its' contractual rights.

Nelson initially entered into a relationship with RJJ and SRI when participating against Jeff Monson on the Boxing/MMA March Badness PPV, which was headlined by Roy Jones Jr. vs Omar Sheika. In his contract for the fight, SRI alleges that Nelson granted "exclusive first negotiation rights" on subsequent fights and under certain conditions the right to match any offers that Nelson received in the future.

Nelson would continue to work with Square Ring after his fight vs Monson. Nelson served as an advisor to Square Ring matchmaker for a mixed boxing and mma event on May 24th, 2009 in Primm, Nevada. The suit claims that UFC VP Marc Ratner was at said event and met with Square Ring CEO John Wirt. In the process of their conversation Wirt alerted Ratner to the fact that Nelson was assisting at the event in a matching making role and also stated that Nelson was an under contract Square Ring, Inc. fighter. The case states that Ratner later met separately with Nelson while at the Primm event. After the event, in late May/early June, SRI alleges that Nelson would negotiate first with Zuffa, did not provide SRI with the opportunity to match the Zuffa offer, and would sign an exclusive promotional agreement with Zuffa. SRI alleges that all these actions violated their agreement with Nelson. SRI also alleges that bouts that Nelson participated in while competing in the TUF 10 season were also in violation of the agreement.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 5:51 pm

The UFC is going to sit out on this and let Nelson fry. This may be Dana's way of getting back at Mr-too-big-for-his-britches Nelson, as Dana and UFC brass see him. The kicker though may be that Square Ring isn't in the MMA business though and this may not be able to bind Nelson if they aren't able to offer him a chance to make a living.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
The UFC is going to sit out on this and let Nelson fry. This may be Dana's way of getting back at Mr-too-big-for-his-britches Nelson, as Dana and UFC brass see him. The kicker though may be that Square Ring isn't in the MMA business though and this may not be able to bind Nelson if they aren't able to offer him a chance to make a living.

ya they are wolf

they put on MMA and Boxing shows , Shamrock vs Lashley was suposed to happen at that March Badness
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 6:07 pm

No, they put on MMA and boxing show, well over a year ago. Singular, not plural. They just want cash from Nelson and the UFC. If Nelson had won his fight with JDS the UFC would have made this go away.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 6:08 pm

care to backtrack since it said Nelson fought in a show and helped match make for a show in the OP

/????
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Hmm, I never heard of that other show, but find me evidence they're still in the MMA business at all in 2010. That second event was still well over a year ago. Two disasters in spring of 09 doesn't mean he still has a job with them or could get real fights.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 7:19 pm

haah oh wolf you and your backtracking

first its 1 event, then you need evidence of the event talked about in the OP

i love your style haha
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 7:28 pm

No, the point stands. How would it not? Bird, you seem to be playing the oblivious forum troll contrarian today and not someone engaged in a real discussion. Square Ring isn't legitimately promoting MMA and has put on one true fight card and apparently also a club show no one had ever heard about. Google has almost no trace of the other card.

What evidence is there that these people are truly promoting MMA enough to offer Nelson real fights? They've hosted boxing cards with no MMA fights since then. With the complete dearth of legitimate MMA promotion since the Badness fiasco, clearly these guys are just looking to get cash out of Nelson's contract.

My point is 100% valid. How is it not? If your contention has nothing to do with the actual discussion, and is solely based on the inaccurate assumption they'd only promoted one event, then whoops, I guess you got me!
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
No, the point stands. How would it not? Bird, you seem to be playing the oblivious forum troll contrarian today and not someone engaged in a real discussion. Square Ring isn't legitimately promoting MMA and has put on one true fight card and apparently also a club show no one had ever heard about. Google has almost no trace of the other card.

What evidence is there that these people are truly promoting MMA enough to offer Nelson real fights? They've hosted boxing cards with no MMA fights since then. With the complete dearth of legitimate MMA promotion since the Badness fiasco, clearly these guys are just looking to get cash out of Nelson's contract.

My point is 100% valid. How is it not? If your contention has nothing to do with the actual discussion, and is solely based on the inaccurate assumption they'd only promoted one event, then whoops, I guess you got me!

hahah gee I dont know haha the fact he fought Monson and helped them match make
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 7:35 pm

also im right about the Pac vs Marg fight being a failure as far as attendance goes
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 7:46 pm

That was a year and a half ago. They haven't promoted an MMA fight since May 2009. How is Nelson going to make any money or fight anyone if they're not planning on promoting anymore fights? I think you missed my point entirely.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 7:55 pm

yikes in general @ your post quality today.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 8:35 pm

Bird, how has anything you said changed my original logic? If SRP isn't making events he can work at, how can they offer him the ability to make a living? The Ali Act might apply to this as well.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 12:20 pm

They were talking about this before his last fight I thought it didn't stop him then. I thought this was old news?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 12:30 pm

I don't know if they were talking about it before his last fight but it definitely isn't old news
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 12:50 pm

MMAEYES wrote:
They were talking about this before his last fight I thought it didn't stop him then. I thought this was old news?

The new facet of the story where he is in contract purgatory isn't old news, but Nelson was sued before the Struve fight. The JDS fight he lost and the Carwin fight fell through, so now they'll let him twist in the wind instead of paying off whatever SRP wanted, which they would otherwise I'd imagine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nelson caught up in contract BS   Nelson caught up in contract BS Empty

Back to top Go down

Nelson caught up in contract BS
Page 1 of 1