Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?

Go down 
+7
chorky777
OU
bobbitt15
Ziggy116
jimbojones1950
killerofchicken
icebergsnoopy
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
icebergsnoopy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? Empty
PostSubject: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:01 am

http://www.mmareligion.com/site2/?p=1065

By Jason Kelly

Did the UFC need to merge with WEC? Possibly. Do we as fans? Absolutely! The recent merger between WEC and UFC has been a long time coming and having Zuffa as the parent company made it a reality fight fans have been awaiting.

UFC’s first tier of household names are starting to be forgotten, Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes have etched their name in history books of UFC, allowing tomorrow’s stars to become the face of the organization. UFC has no lack of superstar fighters but, Zuffa has a flood of fighters who deserve the publicity UFC fighters get, in the WEC. Jose Aldo tops that list, he is an exciting fighter that wins a lot, and also Aldo’s marketability has already been sculpted from UFC’s current middleweight champion, Anderson Silva. Aldo not only trains with Silva, but he dominates like Silva did in his early UFC career, precise striking with an untested ground game, which is supposedly equally as dangerous. Aldo breaking into the UFC at 145 pounds is more than likely a slow process of building him up to a UFC lightweight fight. Aldo was presented Kenny Florian and denied the fight although, I don’t expect that to be the last we hear of Aldo fighting at lightweight. If Aldo defends his 145 belt successfully at UFC 125, I would expect him to fight at lightweight after that defense.

Ben Henderson holds the WEC 155 strap currently and he has a challenger in the form of Anthony Pettis. Ben Henderson has deserved UFC exposure for quite some time now, and his opponent Anthony Pettis is “ShowTime” for real, Pettis incorporates ninja-like maneuvers that are jaw dropping. The winner of that fight is rumored to square off with the winner of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard, for the UFC lightweight title, a fight I believe Henderson is long overdue for, and if Pettis is the fortunate individual who becomes the first WEC/UFC champion vs. champion participant, I still have no complaints. Along with Henderson, Pettis, and Aldo, are a cluster of world best fighters who can make a gigantic impact in MMA with the appropriate spotlight.

The face of WEC is Urijah Faber; he was their first marketable fighter. Faber has endorsements from major brands because of his skillfulness and marketability, if his presence returns to a UFC 145 division, Faber’s stock will skyrocket. Joining Faber is a laundry list of top fighters and mind blowing possibilities of future match ups in the UFC’s smaller weight classes. But, what if the smoke clears, and all is said and done, and one year from now what we have is Jose Aldo vs. Ben Henderson for the UFC lightweight title; then who needed who?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:07 am

Jose Aldo vs. Ben Henderson for the UFC lightweight title will never happen.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:08 am

we all knew it was a matter of time before the UFC PRIDED the WEC, and this way it works out perfect for us the fans and the ufc.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:34 am

Wait until they add 125lbs to the mix. We will have a full set of weight classes and cards will be more diverse and better packed with good fights. Id much rather see the top guys at 125, 135 and 145 fill in UFC cards over former TUF competitors, etc. Hopefully they will push the mediocre fights that get on the ppv card to the undercard or prelims and stack more cards now with the top guys in various divisions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:42 am

I'd rather they create a cruiserweight division than add a 125 division.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage, Fedor, Gangster brothers, Aldo

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:46 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:

Agreed.

To answer the question, no it didn't HAVE to happen, but yes it certainly should have.
Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/groupsplus/group.php?id=2139
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:50 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:

I disagree. The heavyweight division is scarce enough as it is. I mean really, are there more then 10 heavyweights that you have any interest in watching? Dividing the division would make it worse, whereas there are a ton of talented small guys around the world who fight as though they are fighting for a meal. I think it will be a great addition. The reason it hasnt been done already is because the UFC has to get its fans used to the smaller weight divisions as most mma fans dont come from a combat sports background, either as a fan or athlete, so they don't appreciate that the lighter weight guys often times have the most exciting fights. Boxing, which has a long history, doesn't need to ease people into the lighter weights as weights as low as 105 have been around for years and years...which is why true boxing fans love watching Ivan Calderon, despite being a 105/108 pound fighter. Im not saying mma go that low in weight class, bc truthfully, there arent enough guys who can cut to that weight, but you get the point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:54 am

I'm not even that interested in the 135 pound division. Cruiserweight division wouldn't just be heavyweight fighters. It'll also be fighters like Quinton Jackson, Randy Couture and Jon Jones when he bulks up a bit.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:55 am

A part of my fandom would die inside if they ever create a cruiserweight division. Luckily Dana has repeatedly shot that down immediately every time its been brought up
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:00 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
I'm not even that interested in the 135 pound division. Cruiserweight division wouldn't just be heavyweight fighters. It'll also be fighters like Quinton Jackson, Randy Couture and Jon Jones when he bulks up a bit.

I'm with Jimbo on this. I'd personally rather have a 125lbs weight class. Little guys get down.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:45 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:49 am

Did nothing to change my mind. Might as well add a midget division.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:53 am

id rather watch these dudes fight than slow, no gas fat ass dudes... just sayin, these dudes come to fight
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:53 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Did nothing to change my mind. Might as well add a midget division.

LOL you are impossible. If you want to miss out then that is on you, but the entertainment is there for sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 am

I want to watch 2 men fight not 125 pound guys that would be blown away by a strong wind.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:58 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
I want to watch 2 men fight not 125 pound guys that would be blown away by a strong wind.

If superior technique and skill combined with high paced action packed fights don't interest you then I don't know what to tell you bud. The speed and transitions you would see would blow your mind. You are seriously missing out on a very quality product. Your discrimination based on size sounds ignorant.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:59 am

OU wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

If superior technique and skill combined with high paced action packed fights don't interest you then I don't know what to tell you bud. The speed and transitions you would see would blow your mind. You are seriously missing out on a very quality product. Your discrimination based on size sounds ignorant.
VERY!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm disappointed Freak, that's all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:00 pm

They are only that fast because they are so small just like gymnasts. How many normal men weigh 125 pounds?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:01 pm

OU wrote:
I'm disappointed Freak, that's all.

I'm not saying it should be banned. The UFC can add it all they want. All i'm saying is i'm not a big fan of it.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:03 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
They are only that fast because they are so small just like gymnasts. How many normal men weigh 125 pounds?

They cut weight just like any other weight class. I wrestled at 125 and walked around at 134. That is while in 9th grade. These guys cut more weight then that. Plenty of guys walking around around 140lbs. Not that it matters, a great athlete is a great athlete.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:03 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
lol?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:04 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
This is just like saying Brock is only strong cuz hes so big.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:09 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

It's true.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:13 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

It's true.
you don't see anything wrong with that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?   UFC, WEC Merge… Needed? Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC, WEC Merge… Needed?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next