Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test Empty
PostSubject: Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test   Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 11:55 am

Dr. B: I'm sure you've read about Chael Sonnen failing his drug test at UFC 117. I'm tired of reading the theories of Internet doctors. What are the facts?

Well, the facts as we currently know them are that the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) confirmed Chael Sonnen failed a UFC 117 post-fight drug test due to elevated levels of testosterone.

Will more official information be released at a later date? I don't know, but that is what we currently have.

Unlike many others who comment on the Internet, the following discussion will have nothing to do with any personal likes or dislikes I have toward the fighter in question.

Internet conspiracy theories abound and include – but are not limited to – tainted nutritional supplements, workout regimen, naturally occurring increased levels of testosterone in some people, lab error, CSAC conspiracy or mismanagement, etc.

Let's briefly deal with each.

I've written extensively about the potential issues regarding the lightly regulated arena of nutritional supplements and functional foods. Simply put: It's difficult to be certain of what you're really getting since no one is effectively or consistently ensuring or evaluating product integrity.

The anti-doping agencies, WADA and USADA, have addressed these issues by stating the athletes ultimately are responsible for whatever they put into their body – mislabeled, tainted or otherwise:

It is each Athlete's personal duty to ensure that no Prohibited Substances enter his or her body. Athletes are responsible for any Prohibited Substance or its Metabolites or Markers found to be present in their bodily Specimens. Accordingly, it is not necessary that intent, fault, negligence or knowing Use on the Athlete's part be demonstrated in order to establish an anti-doping violation under Article 2.1.

Although it is true that very vigorous physical exertion can transiently increase levels of the male hormone testosterone, it is a very slight increase and not nearly enough to be flagged as a positive test. For the test to be considered positive, we are not talking about just a couple of points over – but rather, multiples of the normal values (greater than six times the test/epi ratio).

Some people do have naturally occurring increased testosterone levels as compared to the standards. But if this is a factor, why were these "naturally occurring increased levels" not detected during Sonnen's tests at UFC 104 or UFC 109, which he passed?

Could this all be due to lab error? Possible, but not likely. The lab in question is the UCLA's Olympic Analytic Lab used by the U.S. and World Anti-Doping agencies. They test both an A and B sample just to check themselves. They happen to be more than 99 percent accurate. I'm no statistician, but I know that to be better than 99 percent accurate twice is no small feat. This is no similar home test or one that you purchased at your local health-food store. This lab is the best of the best.

And my personal favorite? This is all a CSAC conspiracy or mismanagement. I have been critical of past CSAC shenanigans, but there is nothing to suggest that in some way the commission intervened in this process or has any real interest in the outcome of any particular fighter's drug screen. What's in it for CSAC officials? What's their motivation?

The bottom line is that Chael Sonnen failed a highly accurate test evaluated by an impeccable laboratory.

Of course, Sonnen probably knows all this. That may be why, according to a report from SI.com, he alerted Dodd prior to the bout that he had taken an "illegal performance-enhancing drug." Sonnen gave no reason why, but at this point, I don't think he'd use one of the flimsy excuses discussed above anyway.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20727/ask-the-fight-doc-what-couldve-caused-elevated-testosterone-levels-in-sonnens-test.mma
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test   Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:00 pm

Yea I this same thing in the other thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test   Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:01 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:

My bad I didn't realize it had already been posted.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test   Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:03 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:

My bad I didn't realize it had already been posted.

It's cool, I just brought it up in the other thread but that thread is pretty full. Probably better here anyways.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test   Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:09 pm

so is he a hypocritical cheater or what? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test   Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Pretty concise analysis of the information available from this story. Sonnen either fudged up epically, cheated, or was sabotaged by Brazilian liberals.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test   Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:15 pm

sokolkevin wrote:
so is he a hypocritical cheater or what? Very Happy

He is ultimately a cheater because he was not in conformity with the rules. We can grade the level of the infraction if more info comes out. OR..... you can be like me and demand his immediate burning at the stake.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0

PostSubject: Re: Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test   Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:15 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Pretty concise analysis of the information available from this story. Sonnen either fudged up epically, cheated, or was sabotaged by Brazilian liberals.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test   Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test Empty

Back to top Go down

Dr Benjamin breaks down Chael Sonnen's failed test
Page 1 of 1