Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finally... Someone who gets it!

Go down 
+6
Birdofthad
OU
Primetyme199
GDPofDRC
SOKO
LTFG
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

Finally... Someone who gets it! Empty
PostSubject: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:32 am

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12532&zoneid=2

Jim Miller says he'd definitely fight training partner Frankie Edgar for the title. Not that he's "really" in a position for a title shot yet or that the outcome would turn out any different than the first time they fought. I'm just glad to see a guy that understands that it's a business and camps aren't a frat house. If you are lucky enough to position yourself for a title shot, you'd be the dumbest schmuck on the planet not to take it regardless of who's holding the belt. You never know if and when that chance would ever happen again... Jim Miller just earned a new fan.

Last edited by LikesToFightGuy on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:33 am

+1
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:27 pm

He's a professional fighter. That should be the standard line of thinking for someone in that field.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Did Miller leave AMA and start training with Almeida?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:52 pm

I think Jim would kill Dan to get a title shot.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:05 pm

what the hell was going on nin that boxing sig was he running out of the ring?
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah, he had just taken two shots that almost sent him through the ropes he was coming off of. I don't think he really wanted to fight anymore and went bolting for the door. His mistake was stopping on the top rope and turning around... lol.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Fighting is a team sport. It's easy for those who don't train and don't have intimate fighting conversations on weaknesses and vulnerabilities with partners they learn to trust like brothers to say this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Fighting is a team sport. It's easy for those who don't train and don't have intimate fighting conversations on weaknesses and vulnerabilities with partners they learn to trust like brothers to say this.

+1 to this. I don't want to see teammates fight. I don't really care to see a stalemate, first of all. Second of all, let's say Fitch got Koscheck to the ground, do we really think he'd try to drop a big elbow on him or try to break his arm in an armbar? I certainly don't think so.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Team of individuals with identical goal, being the division belt, is not typical amongst true team sports. If your goal in MMA is to be a champion then?
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:18 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Team of individuals with identical goal, being the division belt, is not typical amongst true team sports. If your goal in MMA is to be a champion then?

NASCAR is a team sport with the goal of the individual to win. However, in a race, you'll almost never see teammates try to bump one another to get to the front, and if you do, it becomes a huge deal.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Bullshit. The IFL is history. You fight to win titles and amass cash. Not to say, "I don't want a belt because my buddy has it right now". Fighters get bent and leave camps all the time for petty shit. A title in the most prestigious org in MMA isn't petty. Even high school and college wrestlers have it right... You whip some ass over teammates to get the top spot to compete on the big stage. And there's no money and little prestige involved at that level. These guys need to quit acting like pussies and get busy fighting.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:21 pm

You think a NASCAR driver is gonna let up if it is down to him and his teammate to win the Cup Championship? Were not talking about happy hour, I'm talking about being the champion.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:29 pm

MMA being a team sport has nothing to do with the IFL concept, it has everything to do with film room strategy sessions with coaches and sparring partners discussing the most secretive details of your style and weaknesses.

It would be like if at half time NFL teams traded five players to play for the other side.

I know that two guys punching eachother in the face, in itself a simple looking concept, seems like a 1 on 1 endeavor, but it isn't, not by a long shot.

I implore you men to put the thinking caps on.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:30 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
You think a NASCAR driver is gonna let up if it is down to him and his teammate to win the Cup Championship? Were not talking about happy hour, I'm talking about being the champion.

I certainly think a driver would go easier on a teammate, even if those are the stakes.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:36 pm

chorky777 wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

I certainly think a driver would go easier on a teammate, even if those are the stakes.

If he doesn't want to be the best, then yeah, you don't do your best. But isn't that why we have these conversations so we can ridicule these competitors who are afraid to be the best?
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
MMA being a team sport has nothing to do with the IFL concept, it has everything to do with film room strategy sessions with coaches and sparring partners discussing the most secretive details of your style and weaknesses.

It would be like if at half time NFL teams traded five players to play for the other side.

I know that two guys punching eachother in the face, in itself a simple looking concept, seems like a 1 on 1 endeavor, but it isn't, not by a long shot.

I implore you men to put the thinking caps on.

Yeah, because you're the only one who sees this. Rolling Eyes

It's really not a tough concept, though for some reason many of today's fighters make it seem so. If you want something bad enough, you go get it regardless of who's got it. If training is an issue, move to another camp until the fight is done. From being partners, you both already have a pretty good book on eachother so neither should have a real advantage or disadvantage. There's no excuses that these guys can use that can sway me. If you want to be a success in life, you often have to do some uncomfortable things. In my opinion, if you aren't willing to fight a friend or teammate to get a belt, you don't really want it and aren't all that interested in being a success.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 5:15 pm

So, how do you decide who trains who? Who gets trained by the lead coaches and who gets their normal lead coach conspiring against them for a fight? Do you use the intimate knowledge of weaknesses against your friend, tipping your hand to all future opponents to also exploit against them?

I know we like to shout BE A FUCKIN FIGHTER with spit flying across the room landing on the screen but unfortunately life just isn't as simple as you constantly try to make it LTFG.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 5:17 pm

As much as it sucks, I understand that high level MMA skills are gained through elite training with elite partners in elite camps. These are things that can't just be detonated over night.

This is a reality MMA fans must accept, and stop sniveling over.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
So, how do you decide who trains who? Who gets trained by the lead coaches and who gets their normal lead coach conspiring against them for a fight? Do you use the intimate knowledge of weaknesses against your friend, tipping your hand to all future opponents to also exploit against them?

I know we like to shout BE A FUCKIN FIGHTER with spit flying across the room landing on the screen but unfortunately life just isn't as simple as you constantly try to make it LTFG.

Holy shit... Could you overthink this anymore? If you want it, you take it. You don't think about all of the other bullshit. You think every other fighter who matters doesn't know the weaknesses of the top dogs? You use whatever and whoever is comfortable in helping you. If you can't find that in the camp your with, then they obviosuly don't care about your interests and you head elsewhere! Yes, it is simple Wolf. You either want to be a champion or you don't. There's no fucking gray area.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:07 pm

After getting to the point in the UFC where you could be in the conversation for the title, is the answer really "I don't want to be a champion", is that where the hard work and time end? Herm Edwards wouldn't like that.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Quote :
Holy shit... Could you overthink this anymore? If you want it, you take it. You don't think about all of the other bullshit. You think every other fighter who matters doesn't know the weaknesses of the top dogs? You use whatever and whoever is comfortable in helping you. If you can't find that in the camp your with, then they obviosuly don't care about your interests and you head elsewhere! Yes, it is simple Wolf. You either want to be a champion or you don't. There's no fucking gray area.

Why are we ignoring the elephant in the room here? The dominant camps all go by this philosophy, therefore it clearly works. You may have your opinion, but Blackhouse and Jackson disagree with you. I'll take their word for it. Just me.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Im on the fence cause i want to see the best fights but I definitely understand why they dont want to fight each other. It happens in other sports also look at boxing with the Klits. Its a really touchy area for the fighters I bet because of course they want to be champions but these guys arent just training partners alot of them are like brothers.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:57 pm

The reason they are champions in the first place is the intimate nature of the second family camps. But nevermind, U WANNABE A FUCKIN FIGHTER? Ugh.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:59 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
The reason they are champions in the first place is the intimate nature of the second family camps. But nevermind, U WANNABE A FUCKIN FIGHTER? Ugh.

LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally... Someone who gets it!   Finally... Someone who gets it! Empty

Back to top Go down

Finally... Someone who gets it!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next