Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Evil Lizard does it again

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

The Evil Lizard does it again Empty
PostSubject: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:37 pm

The WBC Board of Governors voted unanimously to name Mikkel Kessler Champion Emeritus and Ambassador of Good Will, due to his accomplishments inside and outside the ring, after he sustained an injury, which will keep him inactive for a long period of time.

The WBC also conducted a voting procedure to determine how the title would be filled and by a majority voting, the WBC Board of Governors accepted to sanction the fight between number 1 and mandatory challenger Andre Dirrell versus [WBA champion] Andre Ward for the WBC championship to be held on September 25, 2010.

The fight between former champion Carl Froch and Arthur Abraham, which will be contested on October the 2nd, will be sanctioned as a final elimination bout and the winner of both fights must fight each other.

The WBC accepted to support the Super Six Tournament organized by Show Time and 5 different promoters from around the world and have participated at all times to support its progress and its success.

We are very proud of the great fighters that are entering the final stage of the Super Six Tournament and wish them all the best of luck.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=30712
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:53 pm

As for the WBC, I believe I understand what they are really thinking.

If you have Froch vs Abraham, the winner would have only one belt (the WBC).

In Ward vs Dirrell, if Ward wins (which I'd definitely favor him), then Ward has both WBA and WBC's trinkets.

What will the WBC do if Ward has both belts????? They will find a way to strip him of the belt. When they strip him, they can pull the wool over a couple more fighters and charge more exorbinant fees.

Or if Ward has won the super 6 and they yet haven't found a way to strip him, then they'll require Ward to take on Kessler (Mr. Emeritus himself), rather than having a fight that fans would want to see, that being Ward vs Bute.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:54 pm

or maybe they saw the video of Abraham doing aerobics and didn't want to risk him winning their belt and making them look bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Well first off Ward vs Dirrell might not even happen, both are stalling right now and could end up in a humongous pile of legal malarky.

Secondly Abe vs Froch is going to happen on Oct regardless of what happens between Ward and Dirrell.

Thirdly Froch should be allowed the first crack at the title considering he lost it in a highly competitive close fight with Kessler.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:02 pm

According to Wikipedia boxing now has 88 straps.

EIGHTY-FREAKING-EIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you Ali, I'm just stating how crazy I believe the WBC to be. I honestly believe they think on the twisted level that I attempted to post (admittedly half assed as I'm tired).

I really do believe that Froch should get a crack at it. He and Kessler fought a very good fight and he acquitted himself well.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Can we just agree to not refer to any strap except RING.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:10 pm

I've found footage of Jose Suliman.

Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:13 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
According to Wikipedia boxing now has 88 straps.

EIGHTY-FREAKING-EIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

lol! ................ Sad
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:14 pm

I think Showtime probably has the WBC under contract for this. Showtime's website says that both the WBA and WBC trinkets are up for grab in the tournament. I am surprised that they are putting it on the Ward-Dirrell because the Super Six Final would be a unification match if they gave it to the Froch-Abraham fight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Evil Lizard does it again   The Evil Lizard does it again Empty

Back to top Go down

The Evil Lizard does it again
Page 1 of 1