Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL

Go down 
+3
powerpuncher
dmar5143
marbleheadmaui
7 posters
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL Empty
PostSubject: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 5:32 am

Yahoo boxing writer Kevin Iole has put together a pretty nice thought piece. Boxing's most influential figures.

Here are #'s 100-51 http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-tophundred090310

And here's #50-1 http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-topfifty090510

he has the first couple correct I think.

Muhammad Ali at #1, Joe Louis at #2 and Tex Rickard at #3.

I think he rates promoters Arum and King a little too highly at 4 and 5 while underrating Mike Jacobs at 18.

He severely underrates Nat Fliescher at #14.

On trainers he has Dundee too high (first trainer) at 19 while Ray Arcel and Whitey Bimstein are in the forties. Just wrong I think. If we are talking influential, Arcel or Eddie Futch have to be mentioned first.

On media figures he has Howard Cosell at 10 before AJ Liebling and Fleischer. A mistake I think. Paul Gallico, the founder of the Golden Gloves in the forties? I don't think so!

I'll let you comment on your own but I note the following exclusions:

UTTER TRAVESTIES-Both John L. Sullivan and John Graham Chambers belong in the top ten.

TRAVESTIES-Ted Kid Lewis got the first mouthpiece made and George Dixon brought shadow boxing and a hanging bag into prominent use. Jimmy Wilde had a division more or less created for him. Cuyo Hernandez played a huge role in driving Mexican boxing in the 50's-70's. William Muldoon who formalized fitness driven boxing training in the 1890's and who later became the first head of NYSAC. Lou Stillman, proprietor of the most influential boxing gym in history.

FOLKS I WOULD HAVE INCLUDED-Jim Norris and Frankie Carbo, Jack Blackburn for training and preparing Joe Louis and Max Schmeling for the role he played in the Louis fights. I also would have included Joe Gans as perhaps the first truly complete fighter as we understand the concept today. Benny Leonard influenced two decades of Jewish fighters. Jacob Golom, the founder of Everlast. Finally, given where the sport is right now. Messers Churchill, Tait and Tait who brought boxing to the PHillipines around 1900.

Who would I take from Iole's list? For the most part fighters themselves. Great fighters are not necessarily influential. As much as I admire Felix Trinidad, Lennox Lewis, Teofilo Stevenson, Aaron Pryor, Sweet Pea, BHOP, Evander and Leon Spinks? I can't think of a single way they really changed the sport.

What say you?
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:48 am

very interesting article and well thought out but obvious blunders at least to me..john l sullivan not in the top 100 but sonny liston is..thats a huge joke.sullivan i feel was boxings first super star..brought boxing to light via coverages in the police gazette and in the infancy of boxing perhaps was the first recognizable name or semi household name...liston had not one influence in boxing at all not one..jim norris and carbo are a part of boxing history if you did a study so to speak..listons a footnote at best....i cant stand ferrdie pacheco..what influence...one of the 2 or 3 greatest shills a phoney one at that....sam taub and harry markson perhaps deserve a higher rating...cossell at 10 is the biggest joke..nat fletcher as much as i hate his soo called opinions is a top tener maybe top 7 or 8...ring magazine was truly the bible of boxing for many years in nats day and after it..the ring belt a treasure and a magazine of the finest quality brought boxing into the homes of america..all boxing unlike police gazzete which had several topics and some where just for commercial sensationalism....lou stillman not in the top 150..hmmm..its like saying yankee statium and lambeou field is just a neighborhood playground...noo honorable mention to al weil or sam silveman unless i overlooked it somehow....mayor jimmy walker deserves his rankings of course...the list is impressive and a idea that was marvelous..
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:00 am

cus damata rated way tooo high..a great image for boxing..yes absolutely..knowledgeable historian..yep.honorable work..yes..top 100 yes..not number 23...marble your list of who dont belong is correct..not only do they not belong there names should not even pop into the heads of true boxing historians in this topic..there more deserving then newspaper reporter red smith..nope.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:51 am

i read this yesterday and i disagreed with a lot of it too. i gave him the benefit of the doubt though that 100 names is a lot so he was probably just throwing some out there to get to 100. but who knows. anyways, i had a lot of the same problems as you. i just cant believe that john l sullivan wasnt in there.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:20 pm

[quote="dmar5143"]very interesting article and well thought out but obvious blunders at least to me..john l sullivan not in the top 100 but sonny liston is..thats a huge joke.sullivan i feel was boxings first super star..brought boxing to light via coverages in the police gazette and in the infancy of boxing perhaps was the first recognizable name or semi household name...liston had not one influence in boxing at all not one..jim norris and carbo are a part of boxing history if you did a study so to speak..listons a footnote at best....i cant stand ferrdie pacheco..what influence...one of the 2 or 3 greatest shills a phoney one at that....sam taub and harry markson perhaps deserve a higher rating...cossell at 10 is the biggest joke..nat fletcher as much as i hate his soo called opinions is a top tener maybe top 7 or 8...ring magazine was truly the bible of boxing for many years in nats day and after it..the ring belt a treasure and a magazine of the finest quality brought boxing into the homes of america..all boxing unlike police gazzete which had several topics and some where just for commercial sensationalism....lou stillman not in the top 150..hmmm..its like saying yankee statium and lambeou field is just a neighborhood playground...noo honorable mention to al weil or sam silveman unless i overlooked it somehow....mayor jimmy walker deserves his rankings of course...the list is impressive and a idea that was marvelous..[/quote]

It really is sin't it?
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Marble, your list is far more informative than theirs's. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:44 pm

4445Frank wrote:
Marble, your list is far more informative than theirs's. Thanks for the info.

My pleasure. But Iole gets big points for the idea.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:48 pm

What kind of writer is Iole? He's the UFC's un-official press secretary to most MMA fans and nearly universally hated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
What kind of writer is Iole? He's the UFC's un-official press secretary to most MMA fans and nearly universally hated.

I could care less what the masses think about damned near anything.

Iole doesn't know as much boxing as I wish he did, but this was actually a pretty good idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Iole isn't as polished as your Hauser or Houston but you can't knock the man's enthusiasm.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Iole is a journalistic mouthpiece for the UFC when it comes to his MMA "reporting" though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Iole is a journalistic mouthpiece for the UFC when it comes to his MMA "reporting" though.

Gotta take your word for it. In some ways Dan Rafael plays that role for the various promoters in boxing. He's an information funnel far more than a disinterested commenter.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Iole isn't as polished as your Hauser or Houston but you can't knock the man's enthusiasm.

I don't know what it is. I suspect I'd enjoy reading Houston's version of a phone book whereas Hauser's description of Arguello-Pryor would bore me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:13 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

I don't know what it is. I suspect I'd enjoy reading Houston's version of a phone book whereas Hauser's description of Arguello-Pryor would bore me.

Speaking of Houston, what was the great Jedi's predictions of Segura vs Calderon and Burns vs Martinez ?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Speaking of Houston, what was the great Jedi's predictions of Segura vs Calderon and Burns vs Martinez ?

He leaned towards Martinez but said the site of the fight gave Burns a chance. He called the Segura-Calderon fight for Calderon...unless he got old.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Ok now that's just spooky.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:21 pm

shitty list theres my opinion
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 1:57 am

Birdofthad wrote:
shitty list theres my opinion

He's probably got 60-70 guys on there who'd be on my list too. It's not terrible and it's one hell of an idea.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 3:33 pm

I would have put DLH on that list, he is certainly one of the most influential people in Boxing since he became pro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL   IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL Empty

Back to top Go down

IOLE'S MOST INFLUENTIAL
Page 1 of 1