Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time

Go down 
+7
LA
Andrew the Raider King
killerofchicken
OU
ohiovol62
Farmer1906
Birdofthad
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time Empty
PostSubject: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 10:51 pm

MMA All Day's List

Do you agree?

10) Fedor Emelianenko

While arguably the best Mixed Martial Artist in the sport's short history, one reason why Fedor is this low in my rankings is because he hasn't really changed the sport drastically compared to the other 9 fighters below. Plus, add to it the fact that Fedor is basically unknown in casual fans in North America, some parts of Europe and even here in the Philippines. Fedor of course is being treated like God in Japan and Russia, which he truly deserves btw, and still the Number 1 Heavyweight in the world right now.

9) Wanderlei Silva

If you would ask a fan who's been watching MMA for quite some time, who's the most exciting fighter in Mixed Martial Arts.. I guess you'll get Wanderlei Silva 8 out of 10 times. The name Wanderlei Silva is synonymous to the words exciting and warrior. Ruled in Japan for five years, stopping legends, future champs and big named fighters at that time. He even fought guys who were heavier than him, all for the sake of his fans.. all for the sake of entertainment. Wanderlei Silva truly is one of the most influential MMA fighters of all time

Cool Tito Ortiz

Along with the rise of MMA as a sport comes this blond guy who slams people, elbows them to death, give them the finger and dig a grave for them. Yes, his name is Tito Ortiz.

I'm really disappointed with how unappreciative some fans can be. While MMA was on its dark ages, Tito Ortiz was almost on everybody's mouth. Everybody was talking about Tito, heck Tito for once was one of the most feared men in the UFC. Tito was also a former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, defended it for five times and was a part of two of the most talked about feuds in mainstream MMA.

7) Bas Rutten

Everybody loves Bas. How can you not? He's one of the pioneers of Mixed Martial Arts and also one of the respected strikers in the sport. Bas has this charisma, which everybody seem to love and of course, the fighting pedigree to back his charisma up.

After retiring, Bas went on to be a commentator in Pride FC for Japan and there, the term was coined, "When Bas talks, everybody listens"

6) Ken Shamrock

Known to many as the most dangerous man, Ken Shamrock is also a pioneer of the sport. Having fought since UFC 1, Shamrock turned heads with his deadly submissions and hot temper. Shamrock is also the founder of the Lion's Den, an MMA team which produced great fighters back then.

Shamrock was also known for being a part of one of the most talked about feuds in MMA against Tito Ortiz. Although Ken would lose all three of their matches, Ken would always be remembered as one of the all time greats which helped popularize the sport in it's darkest times.

5) Frank Shamrock

Frank is another pioneer in the sport who may not match up with his brother's fame, but definitely has an advantage when it comes to skill set alone.

He's known as probably the first ever well rounded MMA fighter in history. Has the ability to stand up and trade with good boxers, kick boxers and muay artists and has the ability to roll with the best grapplers in the sport. That's why he's still around even if the sport has evolved ten folds.

4) Randy Couture

Just like Bas Rutten, who doesn't love Randy Couture? Well probably Dana White but he hates everybody who's against him so.. that doesn't count. Randy is probably one of the classiest fighters ever. Known for his superior wrestling skills, Couture is still the only man in UFC History to win a title five times.

However, he's more known to casual fans as "the old guy" who beats up really big people, that of course is with reference to Randy's return title match against Tim Sylvia, which he won in dominating fashion and his dominance of rising Heavyweight Contender Gabriel Gonzaga.

3) Kazushi Sakuraba

A list of the most influential fighters of all time without Kazushi Sakuraba is not only blasphemous, it's also downright disgusting. Kazushi Sakuraba is definitely the most influential Asian in the Sport. Sakuraba in Japan is like Manny Pacquiao in the Philippines.. that's how influential this guy is. Sakuraba is a part of probably the most epic battle of all time, a 90 minute war against Royce Gracie.. and at that time, that was like the equivalent of Ali vs Frazer in Boxing.

Sakuraba was known for his exciting style of fighting and never say never attitude. Back in his prime, Sakuraba would fight fighters who was 20 to 30 pounds heavier than him. That's why everybody respects him and his legacy in this sport.

2) Chuck Liddell

Do I really need to write something about this guy? Let's just say he's the king of mainstream MMA. Dominated the UFC Light Heavyweight Division for quite sometime, winning it most by knock out. If you would go out and ask a casual fan who's their favorite fighter, you would get the answer Chuck Liddell 7/10 times. Now after that, try asking them who they first saw when they first watched MMA.. you'll get the answer Chuck Liddell 9/10 times

The hype this guy is having right now is just crazy, the magazine covers, the commercials, the shirts, the mohawks.. everything. Every wants to be this guy.. that's why he's number 2 in my list.

And now the most influential fighter of all time..

1)Royce Gracie

If you're watching a street fight, and you see a dork looking dude who's fighting a guy 50 pounds heavier than him, what would you first think? PWNAGE right? Well let's say after sticking around to watch a random guy get beat, you actually saw this dork looking dude break his opponent's arm in two what would you think? Right, awesomeness.

That's exactly what I thought when I first watched Royce Gracie and I know 50% of MMA fans thought that too.

Royce is actually the one who got me interested in MMA (Alongside Tito since I watched the Gracie fights on re runs) He wasn't a man in my opinion, he was just out there, breaking arms and choking out people and nobody had a clue on how he's doing it. That turned out to be a technique called Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, a technique that's being used by MMA fighters now world wide.

http://mmaallday.blogspot.com/2008/06/top-10-most-influential-mma-fighters-of.html
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 2:45 am

No Hughes? Fedor only at 10?
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 7:54 am

While I somewhat agree with you about Fedor not being as influential as others, I wouldn't put him that low. I don't see Chuck that high, I understand having him on the list but not that high
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 9:07 am

Ken Shamrock is number 2. He brought in a big audience with him especially when he returned from pro wrestling. He helped make Tito legit.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 am

Tank Abbott has to be on the list, original brawler that brought a ton of interest back in the day.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 10:05 am

chuck is way too high on the list, i also agree that hughes should be included.
one of the main reasons i started watching mma is because i saw hughes wreck through ppl back in the day
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 10:46 am

I think this is arguably a very comprehensive list and you can shuffle people to and fro, as well as piss and moan why your hero isn't ranked higher, but I think you got the nut of it Bird.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 12:08 pm

I did this thread a while ago, this is Most influential, not best, remember that.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 12:12 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
I did this thread a while ago, this is Most influential, not best, remember that.

yep, that is why I said Tank should be on the list. He pulled in alot of people with his brawling style.
Back to top Go down
JimboJones1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Mark Coleman needs to be on the list for bringing in the age of the ground and pound.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Jose Canseco too low.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 12:25 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

lol LA! You are "that guy"!
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 12:43 am

GDPofDRC wrote:
Jose Canseco too low.

great fucking sig

teach my how to get one please
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 12:57 am

just ran into it on the interwebs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:17 pm

Influential to fighters, to the public?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:19 pm

not sure it didnt say

just overall i guess
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time   10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time Empty

Back to top Go down

10 Most Influential MMA Fighters All Time
Page 1 of 1