Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? Empty
PostSubject: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Captain brought up a very valid point about BJ's opponents. Diego and Florian used to look like P4P entrants but suddenly neither are factors at all. Jens Pulver can't win a bout with a wet paper bag. Joe Stevenson is regarded roughly the same as Clay Guida now a days. If AA, Tim and Rogers are fare game, so are Penn's opponents.

How do we proceed from here?

I've never been in the business of grading fights and fighters based on how they performed in the 18-24 months after the fight. I prefer to let the fights stand as they did in the moment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 6:30 pm

No.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 6:32 pm

Man Wolf...would you stop trying to make excuses for Penn? lol

He was rated by you, as well as alot of other people as a top 5 P4P fighter for the longest time. After his first loss to Edgar I dropped Penn outta my top 10. I dont understand why he is even in some peoples top ten right now.

His level of competition was NOT overrated. He beat the best the company had to offer during his reign until the new sheriff decided to step up.

Just like Rich Franklin during his run. His competition wasnt overrated IMO because it was the best that was around at the time.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 6:38 pm

I guess u could use that against BJ but Jens has been shot for a couple years now and when BJ beat him he was very good. I think K-Flow is still very good he just has problems with wrestlers and Diego is very young and still may have a shot at being a champion as long as he returns and stays at 155.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Hey I had to drop Florian significantly and should have. No he didn't get finished, but he didn't look good either, plus he lost.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Quote :

He was rated by you, as well as alot of other people as a top 5 P4P fighter for the longest time. After his first loss to Edgar I dropped Penn outta my top 10. I dont understand why he is even in some peoples top ten right now.

His level of competition was NOT overrated. He beat the best the company had to offer during his reign until the new sheriff decided to step up.

Just like Rich Franklin during his run. His competition wasnt overrated IMO because it was the best that was around at the time.

How on earth am I making excuses? This type of criticism would be the opposite of that. Anyway I said I prefer to let the fights stand as they were in the moment. You're confused kid.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

How on earth am I making excuses? This type of criticism would be the opposite of that. Anyway I said I prefer to let the fights stand as they were in the moment. You're confused kid.

Yeah maybe, that or I noticed how you had like 5 threads on "What if's" for BJ Penn and asked if Frankie fought "the real" BJ Penn. Its all what you would call..."assbabble".

You as a "MMA Analyst" should have been able to analyze better than what you have on this fight. I'm actually quite bewildered at the things you are trying to say on the fight.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Unfortunately you missed the point of all the threads and don't get basic concepts any reasonable sports fans know about age and competition.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:56 pm

I think BJ looked old last night and his reign as the best 155er is clearly over I believe.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:57 pm

nuthugger.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:59 pm

[quote="Wolfgangsta"]nuthugger.[/quote]

Not sure what u mean??? BJ is my favorite fighter but he looked clearly out classed last night and age was a major issue.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Nothing, I was poking fun of oggy and regret who tried to call me that for saying the same thing. BJ was off his game and looked old and tired. He picked the wrong guy to start slippin' on.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 11:11 pm

after watching it man he has definitely started to slipp

people saying well only a year ago he looked great

i know not same sport but remember when Roy Jones has the biggest win of his career followed by the worst win of his career (in a close fight like BJ vs Edgar 1) then got KTFO and was clearly on the slide in the return match
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?   Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated? Empty

Back to top Go down

Poor performance or not, was BJ Penn's level of opposition over rated?
Page 1 of 1