Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?

Go down 
+5
marbleheadmaui
victor879
powerpuncher
captainanddew
4445Frank
9 posters
AuthorMessage
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  Empty
PostSubject: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:13 am

I really don't think Antonio M. has a chance of even getting into a fight with Pacquiao. Reason being, I never really saw any evidence that AM could punch. How do we know when he loaded his gloves and when he didn't? Even if he turned out to be an actual fighter, the beating he took at the hands of Mosley and his last showing, which was pathetic, hardly point to a fighter that is ready for Manny P. Anyone and everyone who thinks AM is a real fighter should do the following: Watch his fights with Paul Williams, Miguel Cotto, etc. If his gloves were loaded, it would take around 5 rounds for the substance to harden. This should lead to AM coming on strong in the 5th and 6th rounds of these fights, or at least attempting to. If he is consistently passive up to these rounds, I think you need to consider the obvious and reconsider your evaluation of this fighter.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:49 am

Here is my thoughts on Margarito:
Is he shot?? He got tagged by Cintron (in fights he won), Clottey (in a fight he won), PW (in a fight he lost), Cotto (in a fight he won), and got KO'd by Mosley.

He ate alot of punches in that run. He looked bad in his comeback fight. Is he shot, or at least displaying significant slippage???

As for whether his gloves were always loaded, I have thought the same things, but we'll never know.

Even if he isn't the same fighter he was years ago, if he lands that uppercut on Pacman, he can do major damage.

Pac's body will only take so many shots from welterweights before it eventually hits a wall in a fight. He beat Cotto down but he looked beat up after the fight. Clottey barely landed, but Pac didn't look unscathed afterward (and Clottey's few uppercuts had Pac's feet well up off the canvas).

He probably won't hit a wall in this fight, but he better try to keep his welterweight career pretty short.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:58 am

captainanddew wrote:
Here is my thoughts on Margarito:
Is he shot?? He got tagged by Cintron (in fights he won), Clottey (in a fight he won), PW (in a fight he lost), Cotto (in a fight he won), and got KO'd by Mosley.

He ate alot of punches in that run. He looked bad in his comeback fight. Is he shot, or at least displaying significant slippage???

As for whether his gloves were always loaded, I have thought the same things, but we'll never know.

Even if he isn't the same fighter he was years ago, if he lands that uppercut on Pacman, he can do major damage.

Pac's body will only take so many shots from welterweights before it eventually hits a wall in a fight. He beat Cotto down but he looked beat up after the fight. Clottey barely landed, but Pac didn't look unscathed afterward (and Clottey's few uppercuts had Pac's feet well up off the canvas).

He probably won't hit a wall in this fight, but he better try to keep his welterweight career pretty short.
That's why I wanted the Mayweather fight so badly. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 10:14 am

Floyd might be a strategical genius. His legs and reflexes have slipped a little. But Pac's punch resistance at welter will go eventually.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 10:52 am

ive never been that impressed with margarito. he just isnt that great and never was. i just dont see him beating pac unless pac slows down and margarito starts getting to him in the 8th or 9th round. i dont see that happening though.
Back to top Go down
victor879
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 12:59 pm

One word can sum up this fight: Speed.

Pacquiao has it, Margarito doesn't.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 1:16 pm

I'll take the other side of this for a moment.

First let me concede that Margarito is slow and limited and his resistance may be gone and that could make it a short night BUT!

Is AM a great puncher? Not when hitting TRUE WELTERWEIGHTS. But Manny isn't one. He's a lightweight FIGHTING welterweights. Look at how the only OK welter puncher Cotto marked him up. Margo is a HUGE puncher for Manny.

Stylistically in this fight Margarito's one dimension-ness actually helps him. Why? Because it could allow him to do what no other welter has yet done. Impose his size on the smaller man. Get him to the ropes, lean on Manny, use elbows and his head and his shoulders to keep the Filipino there and just tire him. Margarito has no other way of thinking about the fight. It is either win this way or lose. And this way to win happens to coincide with what I think is the blueprint for beating Manny.

Five inches in height, six inches in reach and maybe 12 pounds on fight night.

I think this is a VERY dangerous fight for Manny.

Last edited by marbleheadmaui on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 1:16 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Floyd might be a strategical genius. His legs and reflexes have slipped a little. But Pac's punch resistance at welter will go eventually.

Nice insight.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 1:33 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

Nice insight.
Is there any chance that MW's just scared?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 1:38 pm

4445Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

Nice insight.
Is there any chance that MW's just scared?

Is there a chance? Sure. But I don't think unbeaten fighters get scared very often. Mike Spinks is an obvious exception there.
Back to top Go down
victor879
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 1:59 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

First let me concede that Margarito is slow and limited and his resistance may be gone and that could make it a short night BUT!

Is AM a great puncher? Not when hitting TRUE WELTERWEIGHTS. But Manny isn't one. He's a lightweight FIGHTING welterweights. Look at how the only OK welter puncher Cotto marked him up. Margo is a HUGE puncher for Manny.

Stylistically in this fight Margarito's one dimension-ness actually helps him. Why? Because it could allow him to do what no other welter has yet done. Impose his size on the smaller man. Get him to the ropes, lean on Manny, use elbows and his head and his shoulders to keep the Filipino there and just tire him. Margarito has no other way of thinking about the fight. It is either win this way or lose. And this way to win happens to coincide with what I think is the blueprint for beating Manny.

Interesting perspective Marble, and an excellent Devil's advocate argument to my point about speed and other technical limitations of Margarito.

We'll see how Manny holds up. If he's smart, he's using his legs a lot in this fight. Margarito will not catch him if he's moving in, out, and side to side in typical Manny fashion. If he tries to pull some of that nonsense he did with Cotto, and even Clottey to a lesser degree, he could definitely be hurt.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 2:03 pm

victor879 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Interesting perspective Marble, and an excellent Devil's advocate argument to my point about speed and other technical limitations of Margarito.

We'll see how Manny holds up. If he's smart, he's using his legs a lot in this fight. Margarito will not catch him if he's moving in, out, and side to side in typical Manny fashion. If he tries to pull some of that nonsense he did with Cotto, and even Clottey to a lesser degree, he could definitely be hurt.

I'm not really sure I believe the case I made Wink
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Taking away everyone's disgust about Margarito, this could be an amazing fight to watch. If Margarito's chin is still there and his workrate is up, Pac will have a guy he cannot knock out early and will keep coming after him. He has not faced that yet above 130. Margarito is not a 1 punch guy but he is a take 2 to deliver 1 accumulation puncher. Against Manny he will be a take 4 to deliver 1. We will see if Cotto and Shane cracked his chin. I believe AM's chin will be good enough to take many of Pac's shots. The questions will be answered in about the 7th round. Will Margarito be out on his feet? Will Pac be out of gas from throwing so many punches and probably a lot backing up? Will Pac be able to take Margarito's punches? I really don't see the objection to this fight except that it is for a trinket which most people try not to acknowledge anyways.
Back to top Go down
victor879
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 2:08 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
victor879 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

I'm not really sure I believe the case I made Wink

Neither do I, but it sounded good none-the-less. lol!

I think Manny is going to work him: superior speed and superior boxing ability. Freddy Roach will have a gameplan, and Margarito will have no answer. As long as Manny follows the gameplan, he'll be fine. If he tries to be cute with his hands up and stare at Antonio like he did with Cotto and Clottey at times, big mistake.

I have enough confidence in Manny's ability and smarts in the ring to think he wouldn't be that foolish. Stick and move all night is the way to go. Just keep turning him.

Last edited by victor879 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 2:11 pm

I don't think I believe your case either. Mainly because I believe Margarito isn't the same guy we saw walking through Cintron and Cotto's bombs!!!!

But we could be wrong. He could have enough left in his body to have one last big night. IF he could land the left uppercut early and cut Pac, we would have a rather precarious situation for the Pacman and his fans.

Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm stuck on the premise I began the thread with. That is, I really don't know who AM is.
Back to top Go down
Hillsicc303
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 5:46 pm

This is simple: If Margo's chin holds up, he has a decent(I say 40%) chance of winning this fight. Margo, unlike some of Manny's recent opponents will fight back, regardless if he's getting tattooed or not.

IF, and this is a big IF, IF this fight gets late, and Margo is still pressing Manny it could get interesting. Margo can definitely do some damage to Manny, look how Clottey swelled Manny up, and Clottey only landed about 15 punches on him.

I got Manny, but it should be a far more interesting fight than people think. I still hate that it's happening, but it should be intrigueing...
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Who is AM?

Some cheater who got exposed after getting caught trying to load his gloves.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 8:11 pm

marble lol you may not believe your fine case of devils advocate but there just may be a lot of truth in that for 7 or 8 rounds if margo can shake the ring rust.one fight in what 18 months or more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Who is AM ?

A brave man to rock Mullets in 2010.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?    Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Pacquiao vs. Margarito. Who is AM?
Page 1 of 1