Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS Empty
PostSubject: TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS   TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:33 pm

With three very professional fighters.

On last night's undercard Glen Johnson and Tavoris Cloud both displayed the ability to position the foe for clean punches, the ability to then land clean punches, the ability to take clean punches and the knowledge of when the situation became untenable and counter tactics had to be employed. All through the broadcast the team made references to the 1970's-1980's battles in the 175 division. While this fight was not nearly as explosive as the best of those were, the technical competence level and drive to win were similar. Glen Johnson is perceptibly slowing down. So what does he do? He adjusts, using his jab like a featherweight and positioning himself inside Cloud's optimal power range and then going over and over again to the belly.

I have been critical of Cloud's feet. Not so much his footwork as his God-given agility. Yet last night was a noticeable improvement. He was able to use his feet to contest Johnson's attempts to control distance, when he found things that worked he went to them over and over and over again. How many dozen short, chopping right hands did he land? He looked like Henry Armstrong relying on that punch. Max Kellerman was wrong about one thing. He said Cloud shouldn't really bother to analyze because he's a fighter. Nonsense. ALL fighters should be thinking in there and while Cloud is no Johnson mentally yet, he adjusted enough to keep the fight close. A marked improvement over any Cloud I had previously seen.

Kotelnik is just a pro. He put on an wonderful exhibition of how craft, anticipation, skill and understanding can overcome vastly superior athleticism. Alexander does a very limited number of things very well. But once Kotelnik saw all his pitches as it were? He was able to position himself properly, throw the right punches at the right time and carry the action. Alexander really had no answers and was made to look like what he still really is. A gifted prospect. He has a long way to go to get to Kotelnik's level of proficiency.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS   TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:39 pm

I was impressed by Cloud last night. He might be the next big thing in that division. I could see him being a lineal champ soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS   TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Cloud fought a much calmer fight. I still hate him, but he beat a still game Glen Johnson. He didn't open up with combos like I had seen in the past, but that allowed him to focus on defense on position. I think the Cloud who showed up against Woods would've been dropped by Johnson, so he's made significant strides somehow. I hope they match him up with Dawson so I will never have to compliment him again.

I think that fight was the best thing to happen to Alexander's career. He got what Khan did against Prescott, but he didn't get ktfo and he didn't get an L. I don't think he will be able to put everything together to beat Bradley, but that fight prepared him much better than a good looking win would have.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS   TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Gumby wrote:
Cloud fought a much calmer fight. I still hate him, but he beat a still game Glen Johnson. He didn't open up with combos like I had seen in the past, but that allowed him to focus on defense on position. I think the Cloud who showed up against Woods would've been dropped by Johnson, so he's made significant strides somehow. I hope they match him up with Dawson so I will never have to compliment him again.

I think that fight was the best thing to happen to Alexander's career. He got what Khan did against Prescott, but he didn't get ktfo and he didn't get an L. I don't think he will be able to put everything together to beat Bradley, but that fight prepared him much better than a good looking win would have.

Interesting thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS   TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Devon fights with his chin out way too much. Urango got to him a number of times and he isn't known for his dynamic offense. He did that again last night and got caught by a good boxer with great fundamentals. Bradley is a great boxer with good fundamentals and more power and experience than Devon. Khan is a great boxer with great fundamentals who has more of an identity in the ring than Devon. Both are also tremendous athletes (I have no idea why Bradley always gets shafted in that department).

I've thought Devon's bad tendencies weren't because none of his competition was good enough to exploit them. Kotelnik did, but because Devon was the bigger name, hometown fighter, busier fighter or whatever, he got the easy nod. Cunningham is a good trainer and now that the shine has been taken off of Devon, it'll be a good chance for them to go to the gym and work on his flaws. I don't think Devon realized he had any until this fight (I'm assuming he does now).

He can add some new tools to his boxing and have some surprises for Bradley because he'll need them. While Khan gets a free look at both guys because he's a cunt (this is going to be an ongoing theme for me for a bit so deal with it).
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS   TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Devon doesn't know how to box. He gets by on workrate and speed. Kotelnik figured out that Alexander would throw alot of shots, he would block alot of them, and then throw accurate right hands to the head in return. Alexander doesn't move to the side after throwing, or use alot of head and upper body movement. He just stands there.

Devon is also short. Khan should be able to throw a right hand over top of Devon's jab and do serious damage if timed correctly. Also, he throws the same sets of attempted punches over and over. Let someone like Roach study the tape and he'll find alot of things to exploit.

Alexander's trainer gave next to no advice last night. Basically just telling Alexander to box. I don't think Alexander really is that good a boxer at this point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS   TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:43 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Devon doesn't know how to box. He gets by on workrate and speed.

That's the extreme. I would say Alexander doesn't know how to box as well as Kotelnik so he had to get by on work rate, speed and his homecourt advantage in that fight. Kotelnik kept Alexander off balance all night and timed all of his shots beautifully. Alexander usually slips punches better, but he never got in rhythm. And Kotelnik showed excellent D. All that said, Alexander didn't fight terribly. He kept throwing more punches, landed more and never wobbled.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS   TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 7:52 am

Gumby wrote:

You have an good point here, Gumby. The question is, will Alexander be honest with himself? Andre Berto wakes up and lies to himself every day. This is why he'll be destroyed by a MW or a Pac. He has the ability but no fundamental understanding of the sport. I honestly think Devon's problem was a poor corner and a bit of fear. He fought his guy from a distance and was punching mostly air. His corner was a comedy show and berated him every time he even started to do the right thing which is go in, connect and go out again. Or, if he had to, stay in there. Alexander was poorly prepared for that fight. I'll say this. He's in better hands than Berto but that's no compliment. Also, I'm no longer that excited about a Bradley - Alexander fight. I think Bradley would handle him rather easily. Of course, if he does what you suggest, the exact opposite of everything I wrote would be in his future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS   TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS Empty

Back to top Go down

TWO VERY PROFESSIONAL FIGHTS
Page 1 of 1