Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?

Go down 
+4
SlickMoneyXL
Canvas
hardcoreBEE24
marbleheadmaui
8 posters
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? Empty
PostSubject: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:15 am

I am always preaching that watching a fight at ringside just isn't the same as watching on TV. It is closer, from below, and from a consistent angle. It's how fights are judged. TV usually is somewhat deceptive. I had the fight 6-5-1 Glen Johnson with two rounds very close that I gave to Johnson and the ninth which I scored even.

The ONLY way I could see 8-4 Tavoris Cloud is if the judges agreed not to score the myriad inside body punches, particularly the left, landed by Johnson throughout the fight. He kept landing short, clean lefts to the center of Cloud's body and those won him at least three rounds in my view.

Now Cloud fought very well, his feet were better than I have ever seen them. He took two rounds off though and while I don't have a problem with him winning a decision in what was a VERY close fight.

But 8-4? I wonder if I saw the bodywork better than the judges did.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:22 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
I am always preaching that watching a fight at ringside just isn't the same as watching on TV. It is closer, from below, and from a consistent angle. It's how fights are judged. TV usually is somewhat deceptive. I had the fight 6-5-1 Glen Johnson with two rounds very close that I gave to Johnson and the ninth which I scored even.

The ONLY way I could see 8-4 Tavoris Cloud is if the judges agreed not to score the myriad inside body punches, particularly the left, landed by Johnson throughout the fight. He kept landing short, clean lefts to the center of Cloud's body and those won him at least three rounds in my view.

Now Cloud fought very well, his feet were better than I have ever seen them. He took two rounds off though and while I don't have a problem with him winning a decision in what was a VERY close fight.

And on the other side of things, when you have your opponent hurt you are instructed to attack the body. Cloud did not attack the body when he was supposed to. A cagey veteran with a high guard such as Johnson can weather a storm, he's only been KO'd once. I was literaly screaming at the TV for Cloud to attack the body everytime he had Glen hurt.

As for your post Marble the close rounds you gave to Johnson I gave to Cloud, but I can see your side as well. I definitely agree that Johnson did a great job at going to Clounds body.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:26 am

apparently integrity doesn't count for anything in this farce of a sport. there is no defending what happened tonight. but hey, the HBO backed American heroes prevailed, so all is good and tomorrow it's business as usual.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:31 am

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

And on the other side of things, when you have your opponent hurt you are instructed to attack the body. Cloud did not attack the body when he was supposed to. A cagey veteran with a high guard such as Johnson can weather a storm, he's only been KO'd once. I was literaly screaming at the TV for Cloud to attack the body everytime he had Glen hurt.

As for your post Marble the close rounds you gave to Johnson I gave to Cloud, but I can see your side as well. I definitely agree that Johnson did a great job at going to Clounds body.

Nice post. I have NO problem with Cloud getting the decision. It was one of those fights that was so close you just throw it into the hands of the judges and live with it. As for Cloud, you are dead right about him not busting the old man to the body when he was rocked.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:32 am

Canvas wrote:
apparently integrity doesn't count for anything in this farce of a sport. there is no defending what happened tonight. but hey, the HBO backed American heroes prevailed, so all is good and tomorrow it's business as usual.

The HBO announcers didnt back the american fighters.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 3:35 am

funny story when getting licensed to judge amateur i asked, "so do we not judge body punches or what"

they said no we judge body punches, its jsut that the Olympic boxing judges suck

sometimes i wonder

havent seen the fight but will watch it, sounds like Johnson gave his normal game performance

another thing, when i am attending a fight and a fighter is hurt i always shout "Body body head" (the inner undefeated trainer in me makes me, ya thats right Im 1-0 as a trainer hahaha)
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 9:12 am

I scored it 7-5 for Johnson, but I was favoring the Road warrior in the close rounds. I have no problem with Cloud winning. On this board and I'd assume other boards, boxing fans scoring at home were split between Cloud winning close, a draw, or a Johnson win.

It is the score. 8 rounds to 4 is pretty bad. And all 3 judges. I would think in this fight Johnson would get a draw on 1 card at the least.

Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 9:32 am

Marble-back to the title of your post: Doesn't bodypunching count.

bodypunching and outworking an opponent via the jab counts if you are the bigger name fighter. It doesn't count for the Glen Johnsons of the boxing world. They lose 8-4 decisions.

The number of fights with hometown/bigger name fighter winning by a decent margin, where it is an even fight, is huge.

The number of fights with a hometown/bigger name actually losing a close fight is very, very, very, small.

I'm becoming so cynical but that is where we are. Before the fights last night we knew there was no way Johnson would win a decision. There was no way Kotelnik would win a decision (I didn't score round by round so no idea if the 8-4 cards by judges were good, so-so, or plain bad).

Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:07 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Marble-back to the title of your post: Doesn't bodypunching count.

bodypunching and outworking an opponent via the jab counts if you are the bigger name fighter. It doesn't count for the Glen Johnsons of the boxing world. They lose 8-4 decisions.

The number of fights with hometown/bigger name fighter winning by a decent margin, where it is an even fight, is huge.

The number of fights with a hometown/bigger name actually losing a close fight is very, very, very, small.

I'm becoming so cynical but that is where we are. Before the fights last night we knew there was no way Johnson would win a decision. There was no way Kotelnik would win a decision (I didn't score round by round so no idea if the 8-4 cards by judges were good, so-so, or plain bad).

The bold is VERY funny and very sad at the same time.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:16 pm

I agree with Marble's thread and most of the answers on here. To make it simple, I think the judges scored the fight in their hotel rooms. If Cloud was on his feet after round 12, he was getting the decision. I'm not angry about it. It was a reality I accepted days before the fight. I don't have a problem with Cloud getting the decision, however, Johnson did not have a realistic chance of winning a 12 round nod over a Don King fighter.
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:17 pm

I think there is a lot of crying going on.

Johnson at best should have got a draw.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 8:30 pm

NBrooks5 wrote:

Who's crying? Doesn't matter to me who wins. But I thought this was a very poorly judged fight.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 9:36 pm

NBrooks5 wrote:

Then give him a draw. They scored it 116 - 112.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?   DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT? Empty

Back to top Go down

DOESN'T BODYPUNCHING COUNT?
Page 1 of 1