Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants Empty
PostSubject: Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants   Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 6:49 pm

http://www.headkicklegend.com/2010/7/23/1583979/golden-glory-announces-new-world

United Glory, the promoting arm of Golden Glory gym, has announced details on their 2010 Ultimate Glory event, and it's going to be a big one. Traditionally, this event is a joint kickboxing/MMA event to celebrate Golden Glory fighters. This year they are making a break and adding a completely new format.

Starting October 16 in Amsterdam, they will host an event they are dubbing the "Kickboxing and MMA World Series". There will be two separate 8-man tournaments, one for kickboxing and one for MMA, held over 3 events. The quarter final rounds will take place at the October event; semi-finals in February in Belgium, and finals in April in The Netherlands. The 8 participating fighters have been announced for the tournament, and they are:

Kickboxing:
Errol Zimmerman
Ruslan Karaev
Mourad Bouzidi
Gokhan Saki
Stefan Leko
Brice Guidon
Anderson "Braddock" Silva
Ashwin Balrak

Although you could point out the lack of a Hari, Schilt, or Bonjasky, I think this is actually a super competitive tournament with some great names. You're looking at one top 5 fighter, one top 10, 3 more top 25, and the remaining 3 all just outside the rankings. There's a lot of very intriguing match-ups here, especially because as the tournament progresses we'll almost have to see teammate v. teammate from Golden Glory. The two tournament favorites have to be Zimmerman and Saki, which is a fight I would love to see. Both men are close friends, but GG fighters have shown a willingness to fight in the past, and I can't imagine they would have signed on without knowing that was a real possibility.

On the MMA side:

Siyar Bahadurzada
Diego Gonzalez
Tommy Depret
Paul Daley
Roan Carneiro
Shinya Aoki
Nick Thompson
Marius Zaromskis

Pretty clearly one name jumps out here and that is Shinya Aoki. This is a HUGE coup for Golden Glory to get his involvement. Now let's just hope he actually does take part, as there is a small part of me that has concern over such a huge name being snuck in with no previous warning.

The tournament will take place at Welterweight, which is the natural weight class for most of these fighters. Of course, Aoki's last venture up to WW proved disastrous, so I am not sure what is motivating the step up again here. But there are some fantastic match-ups to think about here - Zaromskis v. Daley would be great, as would Aoki v. Thompson.

If this card goes according to plan, this could be a major event. It definitely has the potential to be a big moment in the history of not just Golden Glory, but MMA and kickboxing in Europe

Aoki would move up elventy billion notches if he snaps one of Semtex bones....or any of those guys for that matter. Siyar and Zaramokis would be awesome matchups for Daley as well.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants   Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I don't see Shinya getting Daley or Zaromskis down before they blow him out of the water. Zaromskis may have looked gunshy for Cyborg but he should have no problems finding Aoki with kicks if they fight. Aoki's shots are too robotic.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants   Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Wow, this came out of no where. I love this tournament. I think the Goat is the favorite.

Saki should win the K1 tournament.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants   Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 4:22 pm

wow this is good THe Punk, Daley, Zaromskis and AOKI!!!!

this is smart move on Aokis part IMO getting in against some traditional american style fighters
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants   Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 4:57 pm

Josh Thompson is the Punk, James Thompson is the Colossus, Nick Thompson is the Goat, and Shawn Tompkins was the real brains behind Xtreme Couture.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants   Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 1:15 am

holy shit dont know why I thought I saw Josh's name
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants   Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants Empty

Back to top Go down

Golden Glory announces 8 man WW tournament, interesting participants
Page 1 of 1