Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can Boxings glory or golden days return

Go down 
+3
WinstonSmith
Canvas
dmar5143
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

Can Boxings glory or golden days return Empty
PostSubject: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 10:21 am

i made a post on the angulo-alcine clip that ali showed..my computer does not allow me to cut n paste so please read it and make comments here..can boxings golden age return to a certain degree..i think so and gave my reasons why..thanks.

Dmar I put it up here for you so we can read it here. Sooner
"im old school and trust me thats the best school..154 is middleweight.look at there weights fight time.166 162 comon..lets have weigh in the day of the fight..angulo maybe then 160 the other guy 158..the 154 division is phoney but has lots of talent..if they changed the weigh in time heres the results..a loaded 175 lb division a loaded 160 lb division a decent 147 lb division or a loaded one a excellent 140 lb division..eliminate 105 108 115 122 130 and what do we get..a awsome 135 lb division a strong 126 and a very competitive 118 and 112..the 168 will be so so and the cruisers and HWS blow..there is today a lot of fantastic talent out there.we could have several deep divisions in talent instead of watering down BS and phoney lol moving up in class.yeah 3 whole pounds.1 real champ per division and do non title fights champs for activity and the result would be top fighters facing each other more often and fighters actualy fighting 5 times a year instead of staying inactive jocking for position for a phoney world title shot..

yes the good old days of boxings glory years to a certain degree would come back.instead of top guys fighting 10-12 times a year i think we will at least see them ALL do 5..wanna be a real champ..then you gotta earn it...there truly is enough top excellent talent out there for sure to accomplish this....yes us old school guys like marble ring and myself contrary to opinon do respect todays fighters as far as there talent goes..we dont respect the charade of whats going on and the inactivity of fighters because instead of fighting there jockeying for position for a phoney title shot and a mickey mouse strap..have 11 real champs and 11 real divisions not litterly 75 phoney titles out there..and 17 BS divisions..any thoughts guys."[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:23 am

No, because the scumbags associated with pro boxing never learn. They will always take the quick easy buck.

Boxing was in bad shape only a few short years ago and all the top promoters started running their mouths about fixing the sport: making the most compelling match ups, working together, putting on less PPV's, getting back on the networks, matching the best versus the best, being fair and transparent with the fighters etc.

Now here we are at present and things are as bad as ever.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:26 am

The old saying "as the Heavyweight division goes,so does boxing,"is apropos here.The lack of American boxers who dominate the HW'S and lighter weights has made me disinterested in the sport as of late.I don't think it will ever reclaim the glory it enjoyed in the 80's.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:33 am

Randy, at least you are honest. Too many of these so called hard core fans who continually slag the heavyweight division take great offense when it is suggested they are just bitter because there are no decent American heavyweights.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:59 am

When I was growing up you almost always rooted for an American fighter.It's not that I didn't admire or respect the foreign ones,it's just the way it was.Nowadays people label dinosaurs like myself xenophobes.Remember the days when a European HW would be soundly beaten by his American counterpart?God,I miss those days.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Canvas wrote:
Randy, at least you are honest. Too many of these so called hard core fans who continually slag the heavyweight division take great offense when it is suggested they are just bitter because there are no decent American heavyweights.

They learn that mush in the public schools these days,the fact we are one "global village,"is preferable to taking pride in one's Nationality.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:03 pm

Completely agree Winston

Shit Tua vs Barrett still gets people talking!
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:08 pm

[quote="gomez1012"]Completely agree Winston

Shit Tua vs Barrett still gets people talking![/quote

Why do you think there was such a buzz over the Lesnar-Carwin fight?People are starving for American Heavyweights and many have found MMA appealing because of this.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:14 pm

I'll say it again. The most passionate boxers in the 21st cent. seem to be our Mexican warriors. If we can start a boxing show, recreating what we once had at the LA Collisium, I think it would do wonders for the sport. That's my solution.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Watch the Green-Briggs fight I posted. That'll give you an idea.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:18 pm

See I don't have a problem with the top heavyweights being European, but I understand that some do. My problem is with the people who call them bums when really they are just biased.

I am of the opinion that the Klitschkos will be viewed in 10 years much the same way Lennox Lewis is now. I vividly remember all the hate and criticism levelled at Lewis over here during his career.

Eventually there will be a small batch of promising young American heavies, and magically the division will be 'good' again.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:24 pm

The problem again comes back to exposure

Gatti, Hamed, Morales, Barrera, DLH, Tito, all this big names in the 90s and early 2000's all fought ON TV

HBO gave them a home to showcase their talents, lately HBO has screwed up its budget and tried to get ratings the wrong way

Instead of showing the best match ups, they've tried to create stars

Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:28 pm

and the small base of boxing fans are being turned off by the top fighters avoiding one another in favour of easier paydays.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:12 pm

CAN it regain it's former glory? To do so several things need to happen:
1. The number of athletes participating must grow substantially;
2. The quality of teaching must return to the days when a trainer had to be able to teach a multiplicity of styles effectively. Watch films from 50 years ago and then today. Today's fights look very rudimentary and linear.
3. #1 must be able to actually access #2 which means a boom in boxing driven gym openings.
4. A return to the idea that there can only be one champion per division as a way of creating household names.

Is it likely to happen? Not in the USA.

Having said that, we are seeing better fights than we were 3-4 years ago.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:22 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
2. The quality of teaching must return to the days when a trainer had to be able to teach a multiplicity of styles effectively. Watch films from 50 years ago and then today. Today's fights look very rudimentary and linear.
3. #1 must be able to actually access #2 which means a boom in boxing driven gym openings.
4. A return to the idea that there can only be one champion per division as a way of creating household names.

For me that's ok. The advent of sattelite television and advances in communication make the world a much smaller place. I can root for a Panamanian or a Japanese fighter the same way I root for an American. Things like what Showtime is doing with the Super Six are making this possible. If the US doesn't have great boxers I can go elsewhere and find great fights I can watch.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:24 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
Canvas wrote:

They learn that mush in the public schools these days,the fact we are one "global village,"is preferable to taking pride in one's Nationality.

Unless one is an immigrant of course Wink
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:25 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

For me that's ok. The advent of sattelite television and advances in communication make the world a much smaller place. I can root for a Panamanian or a Japanese fighter the same way I root for an American. Things like what Showtime is doing with the Super Six are making this possible. If the US doesn't have great boxers I can go elsewhere and find great fights I can watch.

Yup. I don't care who the fighters are or where they hail from, only that they are good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:46 pm

It depends what you mean by Golden Days. Right now is a golden era for the fighters in the lower weights. Have they ever had this much attention or been paid like they are in the HW division like they are right now? It just depends on how you look at the question. If you are talking about the golden age for American fighters in every division being dominent. Then NO those days are over. The lower weights are the only divisions we will dominate. HW is done for American fighters due to many factors.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 2:01 pm

sooner noo im talking strickly fighters not american ones..im a fight fan and if your good if your from russia china outer mongolia i could care less..go to the area i poosted on the angullo-alcine fight link and i gave a full explanation..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 2:14 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
sooner noo im talking strickly fighters not american ones..im a fight fan and if your good if your from russia china outer mongolia i could care less..go to the area i poosted on the angullo-alcine fight link and i gave a full explanation..
OK. I get yah. Yes that would work. But I think 3 things would have to happen
1. The US Government would have to get involved to eliminate all the other sanctioning bodies in the US
2. The promoters would have to stop going after the fake titles for their fighters.
3. We would have to be very carefull in picking the people who would rank the fighters.

There is a possibility that this could happen but for it to happen promoters will have to start it and get the government involvement. It would take 10 years for it to happen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can Boxings glory or golden days return   Can Boxings glory or golden days return Empty

Back to top Go down

Can Boxings glory or golden days return
Page 1 of 1