Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?

Go down 
4 posters

Yes
Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? Vote_lcap14%Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
no
Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? Vote_lcap86%Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? Vote_rcap
 86% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? Empty
PostSubject: Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?   Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 10:49 am

Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?   Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Good thread Ring. I've watched the fight more times than I can count. At first, I thought they were, but gloves back then were an inch away from bare knuckles. Also, he went on to become a great champion with power being his main asset. Jess Williard was too big to have any type of movement and Dempsey used his size against him. Also, there was not a neutral corner rule in those days. Jack stood over him when he knocked him down. Williard was dazed everytime he tried to get up and Jack just knocked him further into queer street. Honestly, I think it was a fair fight. However, people will debate about it for years. If we had more films of early 20th cent. fights, I think it would've been less of a controversy.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?   Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 10:02 pm

ive read several articles over the years and have concluded dempseys gloves were regulation..doc kerns was a great con man and for a buck could sceem up anything.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?   Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 am

4445Frank wrote:
Good thread Ring. I've watched the fight more times than I can count. At first, I thought they were, but gloves back then were an inch away from bare knuckles. Also, he went on to become a great champion with power being his main asset. Jess Williard was too big to have any type of movement and Dempsey used his size against him. Also, there was not a neutral corner rule in those days. Jack stood over him when he knocked him down. Williard was dazed everytime he tried to get up and Jack just knocked him further into queer street. Honestly, I think it was a fair fight. However, people will debate about it for years. If we had more films of early 20th cent. fights, I think it would've been less of a controversy.

I just believe Dempsey was a badass mo-fo, he was used to fighting bigger men, and before he fought Willard for the HW title he was coming off 5 first round KO's. Willard just ran into a buzzsaw, Dempsey didn't need any help from loaded gloves, he already had dynamite in his fists.

Damar, Doc Kearns was just making another buck off Dempsey by saying he loaded his gloves, he was a con artist and a liar who would say anything to make a dollar.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?   Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 10:11 am

Ring wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

I just believe Dempsey was a badass mo-fo, he was used to fighting bigger men, and before he fought Willard for the HW title he was coming off 5 first round KO's. Willard just ran into a buzzsaw, Dempsey didn't need any help from loaded gloves, he already had dynamite in his fists.

Damar, Doc Kearns was just making another buck off Dempsey by saying he loaded his gloves, he was a con artist and a liar who would say anything to make a dollar.
Agreed and well said.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?   Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Jess Willard's bones were not broken

they were shattered and his jaw bone was permanently dented

He would point to his jaw and say "no man can dent this with his hands"
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?   Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 3:57 pm

bird willards wrong..there are several examples of a fight injury in and out of the ring and or car accidents etc etc where a high cheeckbone in the orbital area gets crushed by a blow causing a dent in the face and or a sag also that corrective plastic surgery can remedy..jess took full force with dempseys first left hook..its like a guy standing still and saying to dempsey take your best shot..to cause that damage in a street fight one does not have to hit hard like a dempsey..placed right with adaquate force can do the job.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?   Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 4:09 pm

we all have our opinions I dont even really have one but i lean 60 percent loaded 40 percent not loaded also depends what day of the week you catch me on

Willlard definitely thought he loaded though thats only point i was trying to make
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?   Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:04 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
we all have our opinions I dont even really have one but i lean 60 percent loaded 40 percent not loaded also depends what day of the week you catch me on

Willlard definitely thought he loaded though thats only point i was trying to make
Good point. I stated in my other post that I originally thought he loaded his gloves too, though when I looked at the event closer and saw Dempsey's reign as a great champion, I was sure that it was a clean fight. Bird, some guys just have a talent for hitting and Williard wasn't that far way from Primo Carnaro. Big, slow and helpless to a great HW which Dempsey was. Also, when I hear Sugar Ray Leonard talk about his fights with Duran, he said that Duran's fists felt like stone, hence the nickname, "Hands Of Stone." This name was earned long before he fought Leonard but Ray understood why that was his nickname after their first fight. Williard was just a big guy that kept getting up from instinct. Jack was hitting him with gloves that might as well have been bare knuckles. At least that's my take.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Were Dempsey's gloves loaded?   Were Dempsey's gloves loaded? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1